Alaska cruise out of Seattle, WA

jamesnnb

No confusion Tom. Your explanation of the lack of taxis resulted in a long, long line-up for taxis. We didn't get off the ship until about 9.45 am. There were long line-ups from both ships in port for CBP. We exited the terminal building at about 10.15 expecting most of the disembarking passengers to have left. We did get in line initially for a taxi, which stretched right back from the front of the taxi line and was doubling back on itself. I was a little hesitant to use Uber as I have never had the opportunity before. I finally asked one of the attendants by the taxi line and he walked me through the process of ordering Uber on my iPhone app. We got in the car at 10.24 & were in downtown Seattle at 10.38. The great thing is that when you get a receipt, it shows a map of your journey, the time of pickup & drop-off, the name & photo of the driver, distance travelled and amount charged to your credit card. You should try it sometime, Tom. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No confusion Tom. Your explanation of the lack of taxis resulted in a long, long line-up for taxis. We didn't get off the ship until about 9.45 am. There were long line-ups from both ships in port for CBP. We exited the terminal building at about 10.15 expecting most of the disembarking passengers to have left. We did get in line initially for a taxi, which stretched right back from the front of the taxi line and was doubling back on itself. I was a little hesitant to use Uber as I have never had the opportunity before. I finally asked one of the attendants by the taxi line and he walked me through the process of ordering Uber on my iPhone app. We got in the car at 10.24 & were in downtown Seattle at 10.38. The great thing is that when you get a receipt, it shows a map of your journey, the time of pickup & drop-off, the name & photo of the driver, distance travelled and amount charged to your credit card. You should try it sometime, Tom. [emoji2]

Yep, things were a bit goofy on Saturday, no doubt. In fact, I had the earliest embarkation arrival I've ever seen that morning. A couple pulled up in a limo before the first person had come off either ship. The lady asked me, "What time can we arrive for check-in?" I told here that the absolute earliest anybody would possible be able to enter the building to begin embarkation would be at 10:30. At that moment it was 7:08am!! Well, at least it's better to be 3 1/2 hours early than 5 minutes late ;p

And, yes, your report of your experience with Uber has certainly given me a different outlook on that program.

Hope you had an easy, safe trip home and will come back to visit us again!

Tom

I plan on using uber from port to downtown when we disembark. we have full day in Seattle and a 10:45pm flight that night

. So does uber has a designated pickup area at the Port?

I plan on using uber from port to downtown when we disembark. we have full day in Seattle and a 10:45pm flight that night

. So does uber has a designated pickup area at the Port?

Yes, go back and read Message #18 in this thread and you'll find that info.

Tom

Tom, I read your post. You mention telling the driver to pick me up at one of the numbered pole area; he will have to swoop in and pick us up; because they are not allowed to hang out like the yellow cabs do. Correct?

Tom

It would be greatly appreciated if you would delete any threats of rain or temps below 50.

Addition of mild 70's and clear skies would also be deeply appreciated. :halo:

Ditto here as well...have had enough rain and clouds this spring in New England.

Tom, I read your post. You mention telling the driver to pick me up at one of the numbered pole area; he will have to swoop in and pick us up; because they are not allowed to hang out like the yellow cabs do. Correct?

Yes, that is correct. There is almost always a line of cars to get into the lot area so it would probably be best if you called the Uber driver once you clear customs. There is a parking lot , Lot B, which is between the gate where you enter the port area and the terminal building where he can wait for your call. Once he enters the gate there will be a slight, maybe 45 degree, turn to the left and then another 45 degree turn to the right. The entrance to Lot B will be on the left maybe 50 meters after the slight right. He can turn in there. Once he gets your call, he'd exit the lot, turn left then at the end of the lot turn left again and the terminal building will be right in front of him. He'll need to get in the leftmost line (the taxi line will be to his right) and enter the pickup area.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the great tip

You're quite welcome. Glad to be able to help. BTW, I'm not sure what the date of your Alaska cruise is so it may be too late to do anything about it at this point, but going by your handle, I'm assuming you are prior military. Did you submit your paperwork to get your Veteran's On-Board Credit for your Princess cruise? If you haven't and there are more than 2 weeks till your cruise you've still got time to get it. I should have noticed the handle earlier but I guess age is getting to my memory. <g>

Tom

Tom, yes our travel agent put both my wife and I in for military benefit. We are both retired Air Force. We have a total of $800 OBC. We sail Jul 9th

My wife and I are both retired Army. Every once in awhile I run into somebody who doesn't know about that nice Princess benefit. First of all they're surprised to learn it exists and second they're surprised to find out that it's refundable! :D

See you in July!

Tom

We are on Emerald out of Seattle; Sunday Departure; taking two of our grandkids with us. I think it's listed in my signature at bottom of the page

For some reason, I don't get anybody's signatures at the bottom of messages. Used to but not any more.

Tom