Tidal Pools

Walleyetim

My wife and I are cruising northbound with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Are there good tidal pool areas easily accessible from the cruise ship docks? What is a good source to find out when low tide is? Thanks.

there aren't any "tide pools" at the docks, they are sea walls that are deep enough for the cruise ships. There are numerous areas, but are various distance from docks. certainly plenty "accessible". Just cab, bus or rent a car. tide schedules are available online.

Not specific about locations but the following link might be useful: Alaska Tidepooling

When my kids were little we had the best luck with tide pools on the Olympic Peninsula in rocky (as in solid rock ledges) areas in the inter-tidal zone just as the tide has gone out past depressions in the rock. Solid rocky areas hold the water from the last high tide better.

I'm going to agree with Sequim88. If you are planning to stay a day or two in Seattle after/before your cruise, you have a better chance of finding tide pools. The Olympic Peninsula is great for that, but you should be able to find good places around Seattle if you can't get over there or don't have as much time.

Constellation Park on Alki Beach in West Seattle and Golden Gardens Park in Ballard are both good spots close to downtown Seattle.