Drinks in the room vs. drink package

So hubby wants bring our alotted amount of wine on board and purchase a bottle or 2 of Vodka and mixers to have in the room..... I hate the idea of having to go back to the room for refills, so I wanna just get the drink package... Mr. Frugal doesn't wanna spend the extra money on the package thoughts?

Break it down for him? Do you guys drink anything like specialty sodas, teas, Gatorade and such? It is how I sold the hubby. However, he is still upset about it excluding room service lol. I am ok because he will not be able to stay in the room all the time.

So hubby wants bring our alotted amount of wine on board and purchase a bottle or 2 of Vodka and mixers to have in the room..... I hate the idea of having to go back to the room for refills, so I wanna just get the drink package... Mr. Frugal doesn't wanna spend the extra money on the package thoughts?

I would tell him that you dont plan to go back to the room each time you want a drink. You will just order it from the bar.

If he wants to go get you a drink as fast as they can, that is fine, else the bill for the cruise will be higher cause you plan to be on vacation and have a drink when you like from the bar.

I believe you can only bring one bottle of wine per adult in the cabin on the cruise. What you purchase (bottles) on the ship or in port isn't even available to you until the last night and must be brought off the ship still sealed. SO, there isn't any way around the drinking package by thinking you can buy a bottle of Vodka and go back to the room for refills. Just the two bottles of wine (which can go fast on a cruise for two people)!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe you can only bring one bottle of wine per adult in the cabin on the cruise. What you purchase (bottles) on the ship or in port isn't even available to you until the last night and must be brought off the ship still sealed. SO, there isn't any way around the drinking package by thinking you can buy a bottle of Vodka and go back to the room for refills. Just the two bottles of wine (which can go fast on a cruise for two people)!

Carnival allows guests to purchase bottles of liquor and have them sent to the room. This is separate from what you purchase in person at the Fun Shops.

You can pre-Purchase cruise cash/Bar credits up to 500.00 per cabin.

It is non refundable but it might help.

We have purchased bottles from what was then "Bon Voyage" and now called "Fun Shops", but usually brought home about half of it due to not feeling like walking back to the cabin for a refill. (We have discreetly filled up a water bottle and mixed our own on deck, but that was too much of a hassle also.) Last cruise we got CHEERS. While it was nice not having to deal with keeping up with our expenses, etc., getting the coffee, milk shakes, specialty water, etc., we barely broke even. Some days I just didn't feel like drinking, but made myself since I had paid for CHEERS.

On our next cruise, I think we will just take our two bottles of wine and maybe some soft drinks and just pay as we go and compare the amounts afterwards.

The convenience alone is worth Cheers for us. We do like to drink throughout the day (on a cruise....we don't do this at home, but on vacation...go baby go), so no matter where we are, we are able to just waltz up to a bar and get something to our liking....including just a coke, or a pineapple juice. Nice not to think about it, worry about overspending, or having concerns of the price of a top-shelf liquor.

It is expensive, and I would never recommend it to someone who may have 1-2 drinks a day, but if you like to have a few.....definitely worth it for the convenience if nothing else.

I would tell him that you dont plan to go back to the room each time you want a drink. You will just order it from the bar.

If he wants to go get you a drink as fast as they can, that is fine, else the bill for the cruise will be higher cause you plan to be on vacation and have a drink when you like from the bar.

I use a large Bubba mug and don't have to go back to cabin often.

I was referring to ordering online from the funshop, that way it will be waiting in the room when we arrive sorry i wasn't clear

The convenience alone is worth Cheers for us. We do like to drink throughout the day (on a cruise....we don't do this at home, but on vacation...go baby go), so no matter where we are, we are able to just waltz up to a bar and get something to our liking....including just a coke, or a pineapple juice. Nice not to think about it, worry about overspending, or having concerns of the price of a top-shelf liquor.

It is expensive, and I would never recommend it to someone who may have 1-2 drinks a day, but if you like to have a few.....definitely worth it for the convenience if nothing else.

I agree!! And as you stated when we're on vacay, I enjoy my adult libations!

Cheers = $100 per day (2 adults)...wow...$700 for a 7 day cruise....

We bring our allotted wine and order one (or two) bottles from the fun shop to drink in our cabin (we like to have some pre-game cocktails before dinner)...and if we don't feel like hiking back to the cabin, ala carte drinks at the bar it is! And still wouldn't spend $700 in total....

1 bottle for cabin...$85

If a bar drink were approx $8 average (ie: gin & tonic)...you could have approx 75 bar drinks before hitting that $700 (75 x $8 = $600)

Cheers program just doesn't work for us.....but some people like having the freedom of it...

If you pre purchase the price is 49.95 a day plus 15% gratuity coming to 402.10 for the 7 days. If you purchase on board it is 54.95 a days plus 15% gratuity comes to 442.35 for 7 days. I will easily have several waters, one or two speciality coffees many club sodas and diet cokes. I will also have a beer or two and a strongbow and then in the evening wine wine and more wine. It depends on how much you drink. I had this on Princess and I more than broke even. You have to decide whether the price works out for you based on what you drink. I will also try something I haven't had before because if I don't like it I can leave it and not feel guilty about wasting a $10-$12 drink.

Candi

If a bar drink were approx $8 average (ie: gin & tonic)...you could have approx 75 bar drinks before hitting that $700 (75 x $8 = $600)

75 drinks sounds like a lot but.. 2 people, so its 35 drinks each... 7 night cruise is 5 drinks per person per day.

does 5 drinks a day really sound like that much? (and thats not including coffee, water, soda that would be free too)

75 drinks sounds like a lot but.. 2 people, so its 35 drinks each... 7 night cruise is 5 drinks per person per day.

does 5 drinks a day really sound like that much? (and thats not including coffee, water, soda that would be free too)

5 drinks (each) at the bar in addition to our 2 bottles of wine and drinks in the cabin....plenty for us....some nights maybe more, some nights maybe less....some nights maybe stay in our Vista Suite and get toasted ;p on our balcony...

Regular coffee from the buffet (or room service in the morning) is fine for us....water is cheap (and supplied for free in our cabin)...we don't drink much soda (other than to mix it with our cabin bottle)...