Visiting Alaska for very little money......

shorti503

We are sailing to Alaska June 16-23rd and then doing some extra days inland after the cruise. My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's a year ago and this was her bucket list vacation and we didn't want to miss sharing this experience with her so my family of 5 is going with. Being that Alaska is so expensive and even more so when you are paying for 5 we are trying to decide what to do to be able to experience as much as we can for as cheap as we can. Any advice on what to see and possibly the cheapest way to do it is appreciated.

Here are the stops we will be making:

Ketchikan

Icy Straight

Juneau

Skagway

Seward

Anchorage

Denali

Fairbanks

North Pole

Anchorage again

We love doing just about about anything. So any and all suggestions are welcome!

Denali is the bargain jackpot, take the shuttle to Eielson, see the Visitor Center. Do the same in Skagway http://www.nps.gov/klgo sign up, I believe available on line, but can do walk up if you can get there in the am. for their walking tours. Rent cars, a good option in both Skagway and Juneau Out of Skagway do a round trip road trip to Emerald Lake. Print out and take with you Murray's Guide from http://www.explorenorth.com Juneau head to Mendenhall Glacier, walk the Nugget Falls trail, take a look at the museum, see if any ranger activities going on. There are visitor centers to get maps.

Ketchikan, ride the city bus to Totem Bight, Silver line, 25 after the hour, Walk back to Creek St and get on at the Museum (old library) better for seating with a large group. Go early then have a look. If you go off hours to you can usually pick up a guide sheet at Totem Bight, otherwise, print it out and bring it with you.

Seward is a tough choice since a Kenai Fjords boat tour is a top choice loaded with a scenic glacier viewing and varied wildlife, but, it's costly. looking at close to $1000 for 5, it isn't worth it to not be out on the water for at least 6 hours.

Hoonah- take a walk around the "compound", then maybe the coastal walk into Hoonah. The Cannery Museum is well done so take a look there.

Will you have a car for mainland Alaska?

The land portion after the cruise: are you doing that as part of a pre-packaged "cruisetour" or on your own with a rental car?

Is there a particular reason you are going to Fairbanks & North Pole? What are the ages of your group? Any physical limitations?

Denali is the bargain jackpot, take the shuttle to Eielson, see the Visitor Center. Do the same in Skagway www.nps.gov/klgo sign up, I believe available on line, but can do walk up if you can get there in the am. for their walking tours. Rent cars, a good option in both Skagway and Juneau Out of Skagway do a round trip road trip to Emerald Lake. Print out and take with you Murray's Guide from www.explorenorth.com Juneau head to Mendenhall Glacier, walk the Nugget Falls trail, take a look at the museum, see if any ranger activities going on. There are visitor centers to get maps.

Ketchikan, ride the city bus to Totem Bight, Silver line, 25 after the hour, Walk back to Creek St and get on at the Museum (old library) better for seating with a large group. Go early then have a look. If you go off hours to you can usually pick up a guide sheet at Totem Bight, otherwise, print it out and bring it with you.

Seward is a tough choice since a Kenai Fjords boat tour is a top choice loaded with a scenic glacier viewing and varied wildlife, but, it's costly. looking at close to $1000 for 5, it isn't worth it to not be out on the water for at least 6 hours.

Hoonah- take a walk around the "compound", then maybe the coastal walk into Hoonah. The Cannery Museum is well done so take a look there.

Will you have a car for mainland Alaska?

Thank you for the wonderful ideas!! Yes we will have a car rented once we are inland. I have heard that a tour should be booked for Denali as you can't drive in there is that correct?

The Alaska Sealife Center at Seward is very good and gets you up close to some critters for a reasonable price (compared to excursions anyway). $25 for adults, $22 for seniors and $13 for kids.

In Juneau you can get to Mendenhall Glacier visitor center via city bus and a 1.5 mi walk on a paved pathway away from the road. There are tour bus services (blue and white) to the visitor center for about $15/pp each way. For that ($150 for all) you could definitely rent a car and see a lot more. Also out that way is Douglas Island Pink and Chum (DIPAC) which is very reasonable at $5 for adults and $3 for kids. Salmon hatchery and aquarium with "touch tanks" for the kids (and, as they say, brave adults).

The land portion after the cruise: are you doing that as part of a pre-packaged "cruisetour" or on your own with a rental car?

Is there a particular reason you are going to Fairbanks & North Pole? What are the ages of your group? Any physical limitations?

We are just renting a car and touring on our own. We are spending 2 days in Denali and with young kids we thought the North Pole would be fun since we were so close. Age varies a lot we have 7 months up to 70 years. We know that we won't all be doing everything together though. My mom has a few limitations with having Parkinson's but nothing severe yet.

The Alaska Sealife Center at Seward is very good and gets you up close to some critters for a reasonable price (compared to excursions anyway). $25 for adults, $22 for seniors and $13 for kids.

In Juneau you can get to Mendenhall Glacier visitor center via city bus and a 1.5 mi walk on a paved pathway away from the road. There are tour bus services (blue and white) to the visitor center for about $15/pp each way. For that ($150 for all) you could definitely rent a car and see a lot more. Also out that way is Douglas Island Pink and Chum (DIPAC) which is very reasonable at $5 for adults and $3 for kids. Salmon hatchery and aquarium with "touch tanks" for the kids (and, as they say, brave adults).

That's a fun idea. My boys would love the touch tanks

Look into the National Park Service passes and get the one that applies. Only need one person to get one, over 62 lifetime $10 or if it applies Access free. Generally good for 4 but often will let extras in and if necessary pay for the cheapest one. Will save you money in Mendenhall, Denali, and Discovery Museum Ketch.

Not all National Parks have them available to check where you can get one.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

sightcrr

We are just renting a car and touring on our own. We are spending 2 days in Denali and with young kids we thought the North Pole would be fun since we were so close. Age varies a lot we have 7 months up to 70 years. We know that we won't all be doing everything together though. My mom has a few limitations with having Parkinson's but nothing severe yet.

I would then suggest you look at lot closer at Fairbanks and make sure there is plenty- at least a full day's worth of activities you want to include, Otherwise, I find it hardly worth the effort to do a 6 hour round trip transit for a "Gift Shop" at the North Pole. That is all this area is. Yes, there is a post office with a special cancellation and a few candy cane decorated businesses, but that is it. In my opinion, doing a detour to Talkeetna offers more. A nice meal at The Roadhouse, this is the basis of the tv show Northern Exposure, the headquarters of the Denali climbers and have the kid check out the "mayor".

Consider a stop at the Sled Dog Headquarters in Wasilla, warning there is a stuffed Togo there- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togo_(dog) bargain of Alaska dog cart rides with Reddington dogs who are usually set up in the parking lot.

Heading to the Hatcher Pass, via Palmer and Independence Mine could also be a nice ride. Eagle River Nature Center/trails as well. Thunderbird Falls, Eklutna Spirit House short stops.

Thank you for the wonderful ideas!! Yes we will have a car rented once we are inland. I have heard that a tour should be booked for Denali as you can't drive in there is that correct?

Yes you do need reservations for shuttle buses. ONLY option I suggest, not the "tours" like mentioned above. BUT- this is not really a good option with a baby, since it is around a 8 hour commitment. . You may want to just consider that public road drive and spend your time elsewhere? Is your group willing to split up?

Check out a rental car at Juneau Car rental in Juneau. They're older model, higher mileage cars for less than Avis...and you don't have the headache (or expense) of getting to the airport to pick up from Avis. Drive the car to Mendenhall, DIPAC and anywhere else you want to go.

We are renting a car in Anchorage too...best money-saving tip I have for an Anchorage car rental is to check back on the rates after you make your reservation...rates SOMETIMES go down. (that won't happen in Juneau, but DOES happen in Anchorage) I've seen our rate there go down $70 over the last 4 months...of course we're going in Sept and that might have something to do with it. Still...it can't hurt to check back.

The Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla is free. Sled dog rides are $10 ea...but 'petting' dogs/puppies is free. (they're only out if it's NOT raining...fyi)

IN Denali, the shuttles are less expensive than the tour buses...but here's the 'good' part...in my humble opinion, :) :) they're actually better..they have on-and-off privileges. (meaning you can get off at stops, spend some time...take a hike...etc... and catch the next shuttle coming by) They are advertised as having no narration, but if you happen to get on a shuttle with a driver who WANTS to narrate, they will. (added bonus.... haha)

Someone above mentioned getting the nat'l park pass...be advised....that will cost you $80 and all it saves you is the $10pp admission charge. With there being 5 of you...6 counting your mom, that's a cost of $60 to get into the park...the $80 pass wouldn't be a good deal... In fact...I'm not sure how the pass works when a Nat'l Park charges per person.... I would CERTAINLY ask that question if you DO decide to get the passs. Our use of it has always been at parks where they charge per vehicle. Just ask questions.... Note... The pass does NOT pay for your shuttle ticket....

Here's another tidbit....In your drive up to Denali, make a stop at Denali STATE park....some say the best views of Denali are from there. Of course, that's up for debate as it's an 'opinion'...but the stops are 'free' so certainly plan time for them....

There are several WalMart's in Anchorage - and 1 in Wasilla right off the highway (very easy to get to) to pick up picnic supplies and snack items which will always bring the cost of a trip down...In fact, rooms at Select Inn in Wasilla have full kitchens. It would be possible to pick up a few items at Walmart and actually prepare a simple meal - saving even more.... :D:D

That's just a few things that come to mind when it comes to budget vacationing in Alaska.

It's SOOOO wonderful that your family is able to do this... Best wishes to you for a great vacation!!

Edited by rgmacm

Don't get the $80 pass have one person get the over age 62 $10 one.

America the Beautiful Passes

blockquote {border-left: 5px solid #fff;} The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series

A pass is your ticket to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites. Each pass covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees (day use fees) at national forests and grasslands, and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A pass covers entrance, standard amenity fees and day use fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle at per vehicle fee areas (or up to four adults at sites that charge per person). Children age 15 or under are admitted free.

sightcrr

I would then suggest you look at lot closer at Fairbanks and make sure there is plenty- at least a full day's worth of activities you want to include, Otherwise, I find it hardly worth the effort to do a 6 hour round trip transit for a "Gift Shop" at the North Pole. That is all this area is. Yes, there is a post office with a special cancellation and a few candy cane decorated businesses, but that is it. In my opinion, doing a detour to Talkeetna offers more. A nice meal at The Roadhouse, this is the basis of the tv show Northern Exposure, the headquarters of the Denali climbers and have the kid check out the "mayor".

Consider a stop at the Sled Dog Headquarters in Wasilla, warning there is a stuffed Togo there- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togo_(dog) bargain of Alaska dog cart rides with Reddington dogs who are usually set up in the parking lot.

Heading to the Hatcher Pass, via Palmer and Independence Mine could also be a nice ride. Eagle River Nature Center/trails as well. Thunderbird Falls, Eklutna Spirit House short stops.

That is good to know! Thank you. I definitely don't want to make the drive to be disappointed

Check out a rental car at Juneau Car rental in Juneau. They're older model, higher mileage cars for less than Avis...and you don't have the headache (or expense) of getting to the airport to pick up from Avis. Drive the car to Mendenhall, DIPAC and anywhere else you want to go.

We are renting a car in Anchorage too...best money-saving tip I have for an Anchorage car rental is to check back on the rates after you make your reservation...rates SOMETIMES go down. (that won't happen in Juneau, but DOES happen in Anchorage) I've seen our rate there go down $70 over the last 4 months...of course we're going in Sept and that might have something to do with it. Still...it can't hurt to check back.

The Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla is free. Sled dog rides are $10 ea...but 'petting' dogs/puppies is free. (they're only out if it's NOT raining...fyi)

IN Denali, the shuttles are less expensive than the tour buses...but here's the 'good' part...in my humble opinion, :) :) they're actually better..they have on-and-off privileges. (meaning you can get off at stops, spend some time...take a hike...etc... and catch the next shuttle coming by) They are advertised as having no narration, but if you happen to get on a shuttle with a driver who WANTS to narrate, they will. (added bonus.... haha)

Someone above mentioned getting the nat'l park pass...be advised....that will cost you $80 and all it saves you is the $10pp admission charge. With there being 5 of you...6 counting your mom, that's a cost of $60 to get into the park...the $80 pass wouldn't be a good deal... In fact...I'm not sure how the pass works when a Nat'l Park charges per person.... I would CERTAINLY ask that question if you DO decide to get the passs. Our use of it has always been at parks where they charge per vehicle. Just ask questions.... Note... The pass does NOT pay for your shuttle ticket....

Here's another tidbit....In your drive up to Denali, make a stop at Denali STATE park....some say the best views of Denali are from there. Of course, that's up for debate as it's an 'opinion'...but the stops are 'free' so certainly plan time for them....

There are several WalMart's in Anchorage - and 1 in Wasilla right off the highway (very easy to get to) to pick up picnic supplies and snack items which will always bring the cost of a trip down...In fact, rooms at Select Inn in Wasilla have full kitchens. It would be possible to pick up a few items at Walmart and actually prepare a simple meal - saving even more.... :D:D

That's just a few things that come to mind when it comes to budget vacationing in Alaska.

It's SOOOO wonderful that your family is able to do this... Best wishes to you for a great vacation!!

Those are all awesome suggestions! Thank you so much! Do you know where I find the information about the shuttles?

The thing about North Pole is (we have friends who used to live there) that it's just a regular town...people, houses, businesses, grocery stores, churches, etc...just like any other town. They have a few things there to capitalize on the name (a little village and gift shop) and the Post Office will stamp postcards you bring them... (you can buy a postcard. write a note "from Santa" then mail it to a child/grandchild and it will be postmarked from the North Pole...) but really, that's it. The people are very nice (like I said, we have friends who once lived there) but they're not 'elves'. :D:D:D and though there may be a guy dressed up in a red suit, it' NOT the real Santa (yes....I'm joking here....) ;)

If our friends still lived there, we would DEFINITELY go...and probably visit the tourist stuff while there....but with them no longer living there, to drive the extra miles just for the tourist things would not be worth the time/expense (just my opinion...for what that's worth...haha)

I DO understand why kids would think it was the GREATEST THING though... :hearteyes:

Edited by rgmacm

> Someone above mentioned getting the nat'l park pass...be advised....that will cost you $80 and all it saves you is the $10pp admission charge.

This is absolutely not true. The senior pass is $10 for a lifetime pass. If your mom qualifies as disabled, she can get the lifetime Access pass free. (You do have to prove it - I went on the Social Security website and printed a letter verifying that I receive SS due to a disability.) Says right on it it admits the pass holder and 3 persons 16 or over. It may or may not get you a break of extra-cost items in a park, but it never hurts to ask. Rather than risk finding out too late that a particular park doesn't issue that pass, I went to the nearest federal parks dept. office and got mine there. It took longer to be screened to get into a federal office building than it did to get the pass.