help!! mobility issues 2 weeks out!!!

so I leave for Alaska in 2 weeks and cruise in 3 weeks. My knee has had an awful flareup. Right now, I'm having trouble walking and am hoping to have it somewhat under control by the time we board the ship.

Will I be able to borrow a wheelchair onboard??? I can walk around the cabin and such, but longer movement might be a stretch.

Will RCI be helpful?

The ship will let you use a wheelchair to emkark and disembark, but they will not lend or rent you a wheelchair to use for the duration of the cruise.

If you think you need a device for other than getting on and off the ship, best to arrange one yourself:

https://www.scootaround.com/cruise-rentals/cruise-ports?ref=carevacations

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

WC are only available at embarkation and disembarkation at the end. not even at port calls.

if you will need one, you need to arrange to rent one ahead of time and have it delivered to your cabin.

We rented one for my dad a few years ago and had VERY helpful crew assist getting him off/on the ship in ports. I wheeled him around but kept pocket money for the staff that helped him up/down the gangway. Can't remember who we rented it from, but it was in their cabin when we arrived.

Just make sure if you do rent something that it folds up easily to get it through the cabin door...as it can't be left in the hallway. Hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy your cruise regardless.

Just make sure if you do rent something that it folds up easily to get it through the cabin door...as it can't be left in the hallway. Hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy your cruise regardless.

The scooters I rent for my wife from Special Needs at Sea do not fold up but they still fit through cabin doors. However, unless you either have an accessible room or a suite, it is very difficult to move around the room when the scooter is in the room. There just isn't enough space. We generally book cruises more than a year in advance so that we can get an accessible room. Another solution is to cruise on Disney. The Disney Fantasy and the Disney Dream each have an area on deck 2 where cruisers can plug in scooters to charge and leave them overnight. Unfortunately, there is nothing similar on RCCL. If you have a bad back (as my wife does) it is also very uncomfortable or even painful to ride scooters over the many joints in the floors of ships.

Edited by actuarian

Renting a scooter is easy, it will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive, and you leave it there when you depart.

As noted, you cannot leave it in the hallway overnight. If you have a balcony cabin you need the bed by the balcony, not near the bathroom. That is a topic in another thread to determine the bed location in your cabin.

Have you ever considered acupuncture? I was close to having surgery on my shoulder when my doctor a sports medicine doctor, recommended I try acupuncture first. I did two sessions a week and noticed significant difference in two weeks- in 8 weeks my dr actually took surgery off the table and after 12 weeks I've not had an issue with it in going on 3 years. I was very much a skeptic at first and only did it because my dr asked me to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP

Rent a wheelchair or scooter before you go. You can rent one locally where you live or see about having one delivered to the ship. If you rent a scooter just make sure it can fit through the cabin door, the doors are narrower than those at home. You are not allowed to leave anything in the hallways.

Since you may be unstable with your knee bothering you, you can contact RC special needs department and ask for a shower bench. RC has those and will delivery one to your cabin. You may feel more comfortable sitting while showering than worrying about the movement of the ocean.

update from OP.

had physio yesterday and my knee is taped up. Flareup is still bad but mobility has improved. Still debating on scooter/walker, physio would prefer walker as that keeps the knee mobile and since there are 3 of us in the cabin, that would be much more practical in the room. Walker allows me to sit as needed but still be mobile, airline will transport it at no extra charge, and I'll be able to use it during the DIY land portion of our trip.

Walker also allows me to get off at Icy Straight Point. I can navigate stairs (slowly, I have a 2 storey house). Am also diligently doing exercises given by physio therapist.