Disney World to Kennedy Space Center to Ft Lauderdale

tatabea

Does this sound like it'll work?

We will be at Disney World a few days before we leave Ft Lauderdale on a cruise.

We have rented at car to pick up the morning of our last day in Orlando. We'll pick it up in the morning, drive to see Kennedy Space Center and spend the day, get a hotel in the Cocoa Beach area, then drive to Ft Lauderdale, taking our time and going the scenic route from there to our hotel in Ft Lauderdale that night and return the car. Probably Uber to the port the next morning.

Does that plan sound like it'll work? Too long? Too short? We've never seen Florida except from the airports.

Sounds great to me!

Do read the Guide to the Kennedy Space Center for Cruisers!

There are 100 ways to plan the leg after the KSC down to Ft Lauderdale in terms of where to overnight and where to spend some time during the drive.

But because the scenery is great along many sections of A1A you want to do it during daylight hours so it makes sense to stay in Cocoa Beach then leave the next morning to drive south. You have all day to explore along A1A in the various coastal towns

It all depends on your tastes.

We did a similar trip in March. Stayed 3 nights in Orlando near the parks. Went to KSC. Drove to Ft Lauderdale. Went very smoothly. We weren't there for the amusement parks, but maybe you are?

Turned in our car at a near port Hertz location- saved almost $80 on the rental by not turning in at airport. Walked to our hotel (Embassy Suites- dropped DW and luggage there first). Shuttle to port.

One piece of advice- make sure the car is outfitted/assigned the Sun pass system for the toll rolls. We figured it cut our driving by at least 1/3 not worrying about toll roads, and only added $30 to the cost of our rental. Easy.

Thank you! Any suggestions on sights to see while heading south? Looking at the maps doesn't give any ideas of things to see. We were thinking A1A but am open to suggestions.

I think your plan will be just fine. We live about 10-15 minutes south of Cocoa Beach and it takes us just over 2 1/2 hours to get to Port Everglades when we leave from there. We always go straight down I-95, have never stopped except for the occasional restroom break. Personally I'd just get down to Ft Lauderdale and enjoy your time there and not bother stopping along the way.

Thank you! Any suggestions on sights to see while heading south? Looking at the maps doesn't give any ideas of things to see. We were thinking A1A but am open to suggestions.

There is a treasure museum that is fun to visit. http://www.atocha1622.com/mclarty.htm The website isn't fancy, but the museum is interesting. There are several nature walks nearby, so you can stretch your legs and do some bird-watching.

For lunch, consider the New England Eatery, south of Melbourne Beach. It's on A1A, just across from the beach, but has no view (and the ambiance of a biker bar). The food is very good, and the service of the warm ("Hi, Hon!") variety.

A few miles south, you will go over a bridge at Sebastian Inlet. This is where the Atlantic flows into the Indian River Lagoon. It's very popular for fishing and surfing, and there are nature trails, picnic areas, and a visitor center with interesting displays. https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Sebastian-Inlet

These are a few ideas of things to see on your leisurely trip south to Fort Lauderdale. Don't rush! Enjoy the trip.

You'll be fine. What sort of things would you like to see? One of my favorites is the drive along A1A in Palm Beach. The homes are spectacular and it's very scenic. A word of caution however, if POTUS is at Mar-ALago traffic might be diverted. If not then you'll drive right by it. The Henry Flagler Museum in Palm Beach might be worth a stop. Flagler built the railroad down Florida's east coast, it eventually went all the way to Key West. Maybe the Ft. Lauderdale science museum? They have an IMAX you can probably see what's showing the day you are here.

Thank you all so much. We have planned to just go down A1A but heard there was nothing to see but the fronts of hotels and lots of stop lights! I think I'll enjoy just being in Florida, the way our Washington weather has been.

We just want to see a bit of everything. We aren't shoppers; like nature, beaches, museums when there's time, different foods, and just seeing things we aren't used to seeing.

Your ideas are great- thanks again.

Sounds like a great plan actually. Before getting to Fort Lauderdale you can check out Gumbo Limbo near Boca Raton beaches if I remember correctly. Kids loved seeing the sea turtles there. And it's right by the Boca Inlet which is a wonderful place to hang out.

A fun little place to stop for lunch on the way south is in Jupiter at Guanabanas.

https://www.guanabanas.com/

Then continue heading south along A1A towards West Palm Beach. You can take a slight detour over to Manatee Lagoon in Riviera Beach. It is best to visit between November & March, as the cooler weather is inviting to the manatees, but nonetheless, it is free to visit and it is educational.

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

The Downtown West Palm Beach area is interesting along the waterfront.

Then continue along A1A (and the road that goes even further east) from West Palm Beach as far to Delray Beach. The drive is simply gorgeous, but once you get past Delray Beach, it will be high rise after high rise. You can head west on Atlantic Ave in Delray to pick up I-95 for the remainder of your drive to Fort Lauderdale.