Cruise price varies by destination

kira5

I'm still looking for a deal on Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. In that pursuit I check the HAL website and got momentarily excited when they featured cruises for Canadians in shock over declining exchange rates. 7 day Alaska cruises for under $500 Canadian. Switch that to 14 day cruise to Hawaii for $1000 CAD and I will hit the buy button in two seconds. (We've been to Alaska 4 times including last summer so no repeat there for us.) Unfortunately, the 16 day return Hawaiian cruise is hovering around $2500 CAD. Why? Are the port charges greater? Is more fuel expended going across the Pacific? With all the sea days coming and going the potential for more on board revenue should benefit HAL.

I think part of the reason is supply and demand. There are so many ships sailing the Alaskan cruises it keeps the prices low. Where as less available for Hawaii.

We found the same thing when we looked at the Norwegian fjords, compared to the Med.

You are doing a lot more sailing-consuming fuel, going to and from Hawaii.

7 days sailing Alaska is not half of going to Hawaii for 16 days. Apples and oranges, for a variety of reasons. Yes, there is a lack of competition. There aren't many Vancouver to Hawaii routes, so supply, whereas there are many Alaska cruises. Plus your 500 CAD is probably the cheapest time for cruising Alaska. There really isn't a low, medium and high season for sailing VAN-Hawaii.