EQUINOX DEUX - 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean - PV Trip Report 3/13/17

FRMPEI

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - DOLE PLANTATION

The stock is treated like a baby. Putting diapers between to prevent any bruising. Because we all want that perfect banana at the grocery store!

IMG_3833-X2.jpg

Humberto giving the tour of the processing facility.

DSC09778-XL.jpg

DSC09777-XL.jpg

Bananas everywhere.

DSC09780-XL.jpg

DSC09787-XL.jpg

DSC09790-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - DOLE PLANTATION

When we were finished with our plant tour we took a very short drive over to a recreation center in Bananito town. There were a few vendors set up selling souvenirs.

DSC09810-XL.jpg

DSC09812-XL.jpg

I even tried a sip of this banana liquor. We bought a small 250ml bottle. I put this in my fanny pack and it was not seized at security. We still have not yet opened it.

DSC09814-XL.jpg

DSC09815-XL.jpg

I liked this plant. I think it might be called a "trumpet plant". Correct me if I am wrong. I believe I saw one once before on the island of Dominica.

DSC09763-XL.jpg

We got back to the port around 1:00 PM. This was a very fun and informative excursion highly recommended by the Reids. Must be time to eat again?

DSC09857-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - Lunch

I heard someone saying that it was already past lunch time. Or as we call it here in the maritimes... dinner with the evening being... supper. Let's eat!

A typical buffet lunch for Kevin.

DSC09877-XL.jpg

Norma Jean taking her 100 photo challenge very seriously.

DSC09867-XL.jpg

Norma Jean's subject.

IMG_3838-XL.jpg

Pretty nice entrance to this commercial port

DSC09864-XL.jpg

I always like taking pictures of this Flag. (Malta Naval Ensign)

DSC09871-XL.jpg

HAL Zuiderdam. The first ship I saw in port on our very first cruise abroad the 2005 Celebrity Century. It was docked along side us in USVI. Back in 2005 I thought it was huge with it dwarfing our Celebrity Century. Zuiderdam actual made its maiden voyage in my home port of Charlottetown this summer.

DSC09868-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 3 - SEA DAY #2 - TUSCAN GRILLE cont'd

Donna loved this Goat Cheese & Arugula salad.

DSC09594-XL.jpg

I also enjoyed my Minestrone soup

DSC09592-XL.jpg

Donna's

DSC09597-XL.jpg

Kevin's

DSC09596-XL.jpg

I had ordered Polenta Fries thinking they were some type of potatoe. Wrong!

DSC09598-XL.jpg

Sidenote: UPDATE!

If anybody remembers my comment about the men's washroom in the Ensemble Lounge from my 2014 Equinox Trip Report? Well! That potential danger of showing one's package still exists if standing at the first urinal and the door opens. Did not happen to me.. Just saying.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I remember seeing DH there and warning him!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - PUERTO WANDERING

With lunch out of the way the women and I decided we would check out the shopping around the port. This being a commercial dock yellow tape was up every where to keep Equinox's passengers out of possible harms way. The rather large covered shop had a nice selection of souvenirs set up by the different vendors. Much nicer than your typical Caribbean made in China put your "name here" type of stuff. Donna was attracted to a rather neat bracelet that was made from defunct Costa Rica coins. Donna and Norma Jean spent a few more minutes going up and down the aisles before they figured they were done and went back to the Ship. Not me I was going to take this time and capture some photos and Videos of HAL Zuiderdam.

DSC09886-XL.jpg

DSC09894-XL.jpg

IMG_3846-XL.jpg

DSC09900-XL.jpg

DSC09925-XL.jpg

DSC09931-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 -PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - ZUIDERDAM

Please indulge me as I share some photos from HAL's Zuiderdam and Equinox. I really enjoy taking photos of cruise ships wether it be in different Caribbean ports or my home port of Charlottetown.

When I was walking out of Zuiderdam's dock with cameras in tow an officer from the ship asked me "Are you on this ship?". I Guess he could not figure why someone would be going the opposite way when the ship was going to leave in the next few minutes. So I rushed back to Equinox to get Ken and I set up on Deck 5 to watch Zuiderdam leave.

DSC09938-XL.jpg

DSC09941-XL.jpg

DSC09943-XL.jpg

DSC09950-X2.jpg

DSC09954-X2.jpg

DSC09957-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - EQUINOX

Well I did have more than a couple of minutes to get back. A few photos of Equinox on the way back.

DSC09962-XL.jpg

Not sure what this is. But I think it makes a nice photo.

DSC09968-XL.jpg

Yeah! I know this is not Equinox.

DSC09972-XL.jpg

Lost my bright beautiful blue sky and sun.

DSC09974-XL.jpg

DSC09980-XL.jpg

Back home!

DSC09988-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Guess who is back? Yep! Me! It sure has been a while since my last post. Life happened and other priorities took over. But, I do want to finish this Trip report before we sail on Reflection March 23, 2018. It will most likely be heavy on the photos and light on the videos to get it finished. My memory does not have to be good because I took lots of notes. So brace your yourself I am back.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I just saw this. So glad you are back!

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - Deck 5

I think that deck 5 is the best spot to watch other cruise ships leave or your ship leaving its dock. Usually not many people down here with you. You are looking at the ships rather than looking down when you are up on the higher decks. I feel pretty comfortable setting my cameras up on the rails here.

Bow ropes being slackened off from the Zuiderdam.

DSC09991-XL.jpg

Zuiderdam on her way out.

DSC00001-XL.jpg

DSC00006-XL.jpg

My good friend Ken talking it all in.

DSC00012-XL.jpg

DSC00017-XL.jpg

Gone!

IMG_0875-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - SUNDOWN

Before getting ready for our dinner in the main dining room noticed the crew was taking this zodiac type boat for a spin. It looked like fun.

DSC00034-XL.jpg

Puerto Limon at Night

DSC00040-XL.jpg

Donna checking out the beautiful night sky.

DSC00054-XL.jpg

DSC00042-X2.jpg

DSC00051-X2.jpg

Our normal meeting spot is the Library. Waiting for Ken and Norma Jean to go to dinner.

DSC00057-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - DINNER

Tonight we are dining in the Silhouette Main Dining room. Same table with the same great excellent wait staff. Donna and Norma Jean are always the first to strike up a conversation with our nearby table mates. If our nearby table mates are from the US the conversation usually gets around to Politics and "the trump".

DSC00068-XL.jpg

Tonights menu. Left side of menu does not change so I will not repeat that photo. Starters Left Side top.

DSC00065-XL.jpg

Entrees - Right Side bottom.

DSC00066-XL.jpg

Everyone loves the basket of bread.

IMG_3856-XL.jpg

This was my Pasta Fagioli Soup. I always had a full glass of Coke with ice.

DSC00067-XL.jpg

Norma Jean had the Slow Braised Lamb Wrapped in Phyllo

DSC00071-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - DINNER & PETE

Dinner Cont'd

Ken and I had the Turkey Parmesan

DSC00074-XL.jpg

Donna - Grilled chicken breast

DSC00072-XL.jpg

Folks getting their grove on after dinner

DSC00076-XL.jpg

A quick stop at Cafe al Bacio before tonight's show

IMG_3860-XL.jpg

Comedy Juggler Pete Matthews:

At the end of last evening show the CD announced that Pete Matthews would be tonight's performer. We have seen him twice before and we loved him. I not sure if I would ever get tried of him. The show is basically the same show but it is different because he interacts with the audience so much. Pete is so natural with the audience unlike the 3Divas from the previous night.

Pete's Axe trick all set up.

DSC00084-XL.jpg

The Reid loving Pete Matthews.

DSC00093-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 4 - PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA - GOODNIGHT

DSC00097-XL.jpg

What a great day we had in our very first visit to Costa Rica. Our guide Humberto has left a lasting impression on me and will be the gold standard I will compare others to. Weather cooperated fully for our excursion but, we lost the beautiful blue skies for most part of the afternoon. Big thumbs up to Celebrity and Puerto Limon today!

The clocks go back one of the two hours this evening. Coming up tomorrow is our Panama Canal excursion and we have to gather in the Equinox Theatre at 7:45 AM. I set the alarm for 6:00 AM. Tomorrow I am going to take my Think Tank Camera Bag with me. Normally I would never lug a round a camera bag. But with the cameras I am taking my fanny pack would not hold it all. So my job before hitting the hay was to figure out what gear I would take with me. Here is what I packed in my camera bag:

1) Sony a6000 with Ziess 14-70 f4 & 55-210 lenses

2) Two Go Pros

3) Sony HX50V Point & Shoot

4) Extra batteries

5) Joby Mounts

6) Go Pro 3 Way ext Pole

With the gear all picked out it was time to sync all the camera clocks up to the the new time. Wrong camera times create a nightmare in Lightroom and Final Cut Pro.

UP NEXT:

Panama Canal Excursion with tons of photos.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - COLON, PANAMA - CELEBRITY TODAY & INSERTS

CELEBRITY TODAY Friday March 17, 2017

Front Page #1

CT_Day05_031717_1-XL.jpg

Inside Left page #2

CT_Day05_031717_2-XL.jpg

Inside Right page #3

CT_Day05_031717_3-XL.jpg

Back page #4

CT_Day05_031717_4-XL.jpg

Celebrity Today Insert

CT_Day05_031717_5_Promos-XL.jpg

Celebrity Today Insert

CT_Day05_031717_6_Promos-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

Looking forward to hear and see your Panama Canal experience. We did that tour as well.

Very impressive camera collection you will be toting. My back and shoulders ache just looking at the list.

DAY 5 - COLON, PANAMA - TOP O' THE MORN

For the last few years we seem to be celebrating St Patricks Day aboard Celebrity. Yes! I am of Irish descent and a proud descent of the great Irish Potato famine that brought some many Irish immigrants to eastern Canada and the NE United States. My celebrating is usually limited to wearing something green. Don't drink so no green beer for me.

When planning this trip we were figuring that the Panama Canal would be the highlight of the entire trip. I think we can say that we were not disappointed. Thru the CC boards we learned that the Panama Canal ship excursions are your best bet but, they do fill up. We booked our excursion pretty early on-line. It was a wee bit expensive but worth every penny and actually took the whole day.

So what do I know about Panama? Sad to say not very much and disappointed I did not do some research before I left. I knew that the French had tried to build the canal... failed. With the US coming in behind them and getting it done. Gee! I think this happened again in the late 50's for the US when the French bailed out of one of their colony called Vietnam. Sorry I digress. What else do I know about Panama? I remember in 1989 when President George HW Bush invaded Panama to arrest their president General Manuel Noriega. Since my return I have watched quite a few documentaries on the canal. Especially liked the one which documented the story of the transition of the canal from the US to the country of Panama. Also did some research on the fees charged for the Panama Canal that I will share later.

Up pretty early to catch the sail into Colon. We were traveling pretty slowly as we approached the Colon pier with many other ships around us. Gee! I see two half sunk small ships right close to were we are docking. Not a good first impression. I would have liked to gone down to deck 5 to capture our arrival but, our early excursion did not allow enough time. I captured some video from our balcony from my Sony Handycam that was not making the trip with me today.

Some early morning photos of our sail into Colon.

DSC00098-XL.jpg

IMG_3865-XL.jpg

IMG_3867-XL.jpg

IMG_0885-XL.jpg

IMG_0887-XL.jpg

DSC00111-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

Looking forward to hear and see your Panama Canal experience. We did that tour as well.

Very impressive camera collection you will be toting. My back and shoulders ache just looking at the list.

Please chime in with your comments on your canal excursion as I get going here.

Actually my camera bag is quite manageable. It is the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i designed especially for the small form factor of a mirrorless cameras. It took me quite a bit of research to finally decide on this bag. Love it! Purchased it on-line from B&H Photo.

Picture of bag on the couch in our stateroom.

DSC09404-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

When planning this trip we were figuring that the Panama Canal would be the highlight of the entire trip. I think we can say that we were not disappointed. Thru the CC boards we learned that the Panama Canal ship excursions are your best bet but, they do fill up. We booked our excursion pretty early on-line. It was a wee bit expensive but worth every penny and actually took the whole day.

So what do I know about Panama? Sad to say not very much and disappointed I did not do some research before I left. I knew that the French had tried to build the canal... failed. With the US coming in behind them and getting it done. Gee! I think this happened again in the late 50's for the US when the French bailed out of one of their colony called Vietnam. Sorry I digress. What else do I know about Panama? I remember in 1989 when President George HW Bush invaded Panama to arrest their president General Manuel Noriega. Since my return I have watched quite a few documentaries on the canal. Especially liked the one which documented the story of the transition of the canal from the US to the country of Panama. Also did some research on the fees charged for the Panama Canal that I will share later.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

When Beth and I went all excursions were cancelled. Unrest in the country.

Kevin, and anyone interested in the history of the Panama Canal, I highly suggest reading - The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. It is a fascinating story of the history and day to day life during the build.

There is also a good documentary on Netflix (at least on the Canadian Netflix) called Panama Canal: Prized Possession.

It is a two-part series about the history of the Canal, then and now. Check it out.

Thank you for that #1.

DAY 5 - COLON, PANAMA

So before we left for breakfast it was time to get "sun screened" up. The sun screen indeed was required today. I missed a spot near my wrist watch and should have put more sun screen on my face. The Oceanview buffet was quite busy this morning where it almost reminded me of the crowd you experience on disembarkation day.

DSC00117-XL.jpg

DSC00118-XL.jpg

DSC00122-XL.jpg

Driver's Rally

DSC00126-XL.jpg

IMG_0888-X3.jpg

This morning in Colon was cloudy and overcast. By the time we are at the gangway on deck 2 it was already raining. We boarded bus #4 of 6 buses. Each bus was carrying about about 40 people so I would estimate the crowd today around 250. Yesterday you already know how much I went on and how much I enjoyed our Costa Rica host, Humberto. Unfortunately today was the complete opposite. We have never experienced such a boring, disinteresting, monotone tour guide. The only thing memorable about this lady was how bad she was. She would just ramble on about nothing with no background info. Enough about our poor bus tour guide.

We were on the bus at 8:30 AM with a scheduled Equinox depart time of 5:00 PM... we did not get back to the port until 6:10 PM. I guess this is very common for this excursion to arrive back late. In this case it pays to take the ship excursion because they wait for you. To be honest I think anybody would be foolish to a arrange a canal excursion on their own because you have no idea how long it will take to get through the locks.

Here is our bus with the very nice frilly sun shades on the windows.

IMG_3872-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid