Has anyone sailed Vision of the Seas and NCL Spirit? How do they compare?

I'm currently booked on Vision for Sept 2018 Mediterranean, but I've been to a few of the ports before..

NCL Spirit has some new ports and it's cheaper. The reviews for the two ships are very similar.

Has anyone sailed both and how do they compare? We've never sailed NCL. I know it's about the ports, but we also want a good experience onboard.

Thanks!

We sailed the Spirit in 2015 and loved her! We are sailing Vision in about a month and are super excited about it! Since we haven't been on Vision yet I can't give you a direct comparison but they are very similar in size and capacity. Spirit was great! The food was a lot better than we were expecting and she has our favorite MDR ever, Windows. Anyone actually been on both?

We have been on both. Love the casual dining and the food was great on the Spirit. Beautiful ocean views from inside the ship. Vision has taken those views and turned them into staterooms and is now "Very Little Vision of the Seas"

We have been on both. Love the casual dining and the food was great on the Spirit. Beautiful ocean views from inside the ship. Vision has taken those views and turned them into staterooms and is now "Very Little Vision of the Seas"

I read somewhere that some people don't like Spirit because the glass extends up on the outside, public areas. I'm not explaining this well, but they complained that you couldn't take pictures of the scenery because the glass was taller than the person.

I read somewhere that some people don't like Spirit because the glass extends up on the outside, public areas. I'm not explaining this well, but they complained that you couldn't take pictures of the scenery because the glass was taller than the person.

There are some places where thats true, but there are plenty of places to take pictures where there is no glass. Just a normal railing like all ships.

I'm currently booked on Vision for Sept 2018 Mediterranean, but I've been to a few of the ports before..

NCL Spirit has some new ports and it's cheaper. The reviews for the two ships are very similar.

Has anyone sailed both and how do they compare? We've never sailed NCL. I know it's about the ports, but we also want a good experience onboard.

Thanks!

What are the two itineraries? Yes, for me, any cruise in the Med is strictly for the experience of the ports.

I agree with the post above that my two experiences with NCL for site lines in public areas as you sail in or sail away are totally horrible! This is extremely important for me personally. As an example, here we are sailing into San Fran one morning... the 6 foot high glass was covered in morning dew and no one could see anything as people clamored space anywhere they could get, climbing masts, etc. Simply horrible

There's no way whatsoever you can afford to be having these kinds of problems sailing into Venice, Kotor, Malta for example

1e7da664-3711-4809-abfa-640f387549fc_zps846b8e46.jpg

Also note from the back of the ship the Haven suites block the entire view looking forward from anywhere.

On Vision's top deck, you can pretty much see everywhere all around you and the railings are less glass and much lower.

Here are further examples of NCL vs. Vision... note the railings and how much you can actually see.

Pearlpooldeck_zps27d83643.jpg

Here's Vision....

DSC04354_zps023738c8.jpg

pool6_zpsefa15e57.jpg

What are the two itineraries?

Vision: 12 days

Barcelona (favorite port)

Nice, France

Livorno (been there)

Rome (been there)

Salerno (been there)

Venice 2 days

Ravenna, Italy

Kotor

Spirit 11 days:

Rome

Dubrovnik

Venice 2 days

Koper, Slovenia

Split, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Olympia, Greece

Malta

Vision: 12 days

Barcelona (favorite port)

Nice, France

Livorno (been there)

Rome (been there)

Salerno (been there)

Venice 2 days

Ravenna, Italy

Kotor

Spirit 11 days:

Rome

Dubrovnik

Venice 2 days

Koper, Slovenia

Split, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Olympia, Greece

Malta

Ugh!! I see your problem.. Spirit itinerary with Malta, Dubrovnik & Split... way superior.

Tough call on this one.

Look at this itinerary on HAL Oosterdam, which looks like a beautiful ship:

• 1. Venice, Italy
  • 2. Split, Croatia
  • 3. Dubrovnik, Croatia
  • 4. Saranda, Albania
  • 5. Katakolon, Greece
  • 6. Samos, Greece
  • 7. Mykonos, Greece
  • 8. At Sea
  • 9. Malta, Malta
  • 10. Malta, Malta
  • 10. Mgarr, Gozo Island, Malta
  • 11. Palermo, Italy
  • 12. Naples, Italy
  • 13. Civitavecchia, Italy

Any thoughts on this?

Look at this itinerary on HAL Oosterdam, which looks like a beautiful ship:

• 1. Venice, Italy
  • 2. Split, Croatia
  • 3. Dubrovnik, Croatia
  • 4. Saranda, Albania
  • 5. Katakolon, Greece
  • 6. Samos, Greece
  • 7. Mykonos, Greece
  • 8. At Sea
  • 9. Malta, Malta
  • 10. Malta, Malta
  • 10. Mgarr, Gozo Island, Malta
  • 11. Palermo, Italy
  • 12. Naples, Italy
  • 13. Civitavecchia, Italy

Any thoughts on this?

I think it's an outstanding itinerary. Sail away from Venice is a must, and of course, at least 2 days pre-cruise...

Dubrovnik, Mykonos, overnight in Malta !!!, and 2 port days in Italy... Go for it :D

I think it's an outstanding itinerary. Sail away from Venice is a must, and of course, at least 2 days pre-cruise...

Dubrovnik, Mykonos, overnight in Malta !!!, and 2 port days in Italy... Go for it :D

Thanks, Dani. Wonderful to see you on here :) Waiting for the go ahead from hubby. I'm not telling where we are going, just the dates. I think we'll fly in 3 days earlier (really, 2 days by the time we land) My heart says try new places and Malta is on my list as well as Dubrovnik. Venice is the must do!

Thanks, Dani. Wonderful to see you on here :) Waiting for the go ahead from hubby. I'm not telling where we are going, just the dates. I think we'll fly in 3 days earlier (really, 2 days by the time we land) My heart says try new places and Malta is on my list as well as Dubrovnik. Venice is the must do!

100% agree with Dani on this one. There's not many places in the world so far where I say to myself after a cruise "Gee. I need to come back here and stay on land for a few days". This itinerary on HAL would be one of them... but you get to do it on a cruise! My dream land vacay would be the Amalfi coast for 3-4 days, quick flight over to Malta for 3 days (incl a ferry over to Gozo), then flight over to Croatia for 4-5 days. You get it all in this cruise... plus that Venice sailaway. Spectacular!! Great find redheads :D

100% agree with Dani on this one. There's not many places in the world so far where I say to myself after a cruise "Gee. I need to come back here and stay on land for a few days". This itinerary on HAL would be one of them... but you get to do it on a cruise! My dream land vacay would be the Amalfi coast for 3-4 days, quick flight over to Malta for 3 days (incl a ferry over to Gozo), then flight over to Croatia for 4-5 days. You get it all in this cruise... plus that Venice sailaway. Spectacular!! Great find redheads :D

Thanks, Hoopster! Switching over now. Plus, if I book with travelocity, I save $1600 from HAL's site, but $600 is nonrefundable. I better be sure!