Identification for child - Auckland to Auckland Cruise

Hello, could anyone clarify if a child can get onto a cruise ship - going Auckland to Auckland, no stops (3 night wine and food cruise) with a birth certificate for ID. If not, how does a child get a photo ID? We don't get photo IDs issued in New Zealand and it seems crazy to have to get a passport for a non overseas holiday. P&O have said it is OK but it also states clearly on their cruise control website that all passengers need photo ID. I'm confused and would hate for a child to be not allowed entry to a ship due to this.

Birth certificate is required. My son just cruised with my 11 month grandchild and that is all they had for her on the domestic cruise.

Was that from NZ? How long ago? My documents say that NZ Maritime Law needs all passengers photo ID - so confusing.

Yes, birth certificate is fine.

Officially their requirements are: "For New Zealand domestic cruises, an original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate or a school pass with photo will be accepted for guests under 18 years of age."

Here's confirmation from their web site:

https://www.pocruises.com.au/faqs/things-to-know-before-you-go/i-am-travelling-on-a-domestic-cruise-do-i-need-a-passport

Yes, birth certificate is fine.

Officially their requirements are: "For New Zealand domestic cruises, an original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate or a school pass with photo will be accepted for guests under 18 years of age."

Here's confirmation from their web site:

https://www.pocruises.com.au/faqs/things-to-know-before-you-go/i-am-travelling-on-a-domestic-cruise-do-i-need-a-passport

Thank you very much!! My goodness trying to deal with the P&O call centre was dreadful. I had a wonderful lady yesterday but today, not so good.

We have a surname with a capitial i in it so surname should read "McIxxxx" not "Mcixxxx". Apparently they can't do this and we have to have the surname printed incorrectly on all documents. Seriously? I thought the name had to exactly match a passport or photo ID.

Thank you very much!! My goodness trying to deal with the P&O call centre was dreadful. I had a wonderful lady yesterday but today, not so good.

We have a surname with a capitial i in it so surname should read "McIxxxx" not "Mcixxxx". Apparently they can't do this and we have to have the surname printed incorrectly on all documents. Seriously? I thought the name had to exactly match a passport or photo ID.

It's good when the information is available online. Unfortunately it often isn't (but at least was this time :-)).

As for the surname, aside from your own satisfaction with how it appears, you shouldn't have an issue boarding with it. They're understanding that some systems have limitations that change capitalisation, or even length of name, so are not inflexible when its due to those issues.

Thank you Big M, you have been most helpful. I did search the P&O FAQ for an answer to the child identification question but clearly I didn't search well! I'm sure the other matter if the "i" or "I" won't matter but it's more the principle of the thing. Never mind, near enough.