Tracy Arm

wolfie11

I was down by the entrance to Tracy Arm yesterday and was surprised to find a number of large icebergs floating around. Asked around and was told by a pilot that Sawyer is rapidly retreating again. Someone flew over there a few days ago and said the entire fjord was blocked with ice, likely impacting ships scheduled to go to Tracy Arm. Has anyone tried to go up there on a cruise ship this season? How far did you get?

I heard last week on the Legend they could not enter and went to Endicott Fjord instead but I have a friend on the Legend this week and she was posting pics from Tracy Arm yesterday so I am thinking they were able to get in there. We leave in 3 weeks so I have been watching it carefully :)

I heard last week on the Legend they could not enter and went to Endicott Fjord instead but I have a friend on the Legend this week and she was posting pics from Tracy Arm yesterday so I am thinking they were able to get in there. We leave in 3 weeks so I have been watching it carefully :)

What kind of photos? Was she on the ship excursion?

It was on her private fb page. It didn't look they were on the small boat but I couldn't tell for sure. I also I went on Instagram and searched #tracyarm and a bunch of public photos came out with captions like "we made it in!". So I am not 100% certain they made it in, but where ever the Legend was yesterday everyone seemed to be happy :)

Last year, I saw plenty of photos of Endicott Arm labelled Tracy Arm, and pictures of Dawes Glacier labelled South Sawyer Glacier, so people do often assume they're in Tracy Arm because that's what the ship schedule says. (The "we made it in!" comment seems to have an inkling of a clue, though.)

Last year, I saw plenty of photos of Endicott Arm labelled Tracy Arm, and pictures of Dawes Glacier labelled South Sawyer Glacier, so people do often assume they're in Tracy Arm because that's what the ship schedule says. (The "we made it in!" comment seems to have an inkling of a clue, though.)

One year, over the 4th of July week, the Captain made an announcement early that we were not able to enter Tracy Arm and would go to Endicott Arm instead. Hours later, I heard people say how much they loved Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm. I tried to tell them we were at Endicott Arm and it was Dawes glacier and they didn't believe me. Even at dinner, I heard how beautiful Tracy Arm was. I had given up by then.

Only those of us who were up early and outside heard the announcement.....

One year, over the 4th of July week, the Captain made an announcement early that we were not able to enter Tracy Arm and would go to Endicott Arm instead. Hours later, I heard people say how much they loved Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm. I tried to tell them we were at Endicott Arm and it was Dawes glacier and they didn't believe me. Even at dinner, I heard how beautiful Tracy Arm was. I had given up by then.

Only those of us who were up early and outside heard the announcement.....

I've seen that with many places. I once had a woman ask me, " what Port is this" as we were leaving Sitka. I can only shake my head.

I'm heading to Tracy Arm next week with Adventure Bound from Juneau. Believe this is their 1st or 2nd trip of the year and will post info on how far we get. I've made it to the face of the Glacier 5 or 6 times with them, usually in a May/June time frame.

I've never had a cruise ship divert to Endicott but also have never been past the split for North/South Sawyer in a big ship (but did go to North Sawyer on the Dawn Princess years ago, very rare)

I'm heading to Tracy Arm next week with Adventure Bound from Juneau. Believe this is their 1st or 2nd trip of the year and will post info on how far we get. I've made it to the face of the Glacier 5 or 6 times with them, usually in a May/June time frame.

I've never had a cruise ship divert to Endicott but also have never been past the split for North/South Sawyer in a big ship (but did go to North Sawyer on the Dawn Princess years ago, very rare)

Thank you for this. We are doing the same Adventure Bound trip. I'd June.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm headed there early June as well on Adventure Bound, and on the schedule next week for my Sun cruise. Looking to book the add on, but, not as worthwhile to Endicott, so I'll use my contacts a few days before and see what the conditions are.

We will be are sailing on the Legend June 6th and I will definitely pay attention and be sure which one we go to...LOL!!! Also, John Heald is doing his "Blogger's cruise" Live from the Legend Tuesday, 16th-23rd so I am sure he will post (correctly) about which one the Legend is able to enter. :)

Subject to conditions, we're heading to Tracy Arm on 3 July on board Celebrity Solstice. Any recent updates as to how anyone else got on would be really good.

I am on solstice week after, so please post where you went if you can. Thanks.

Went to Endicott last week and honestly glad the ship diverted. Sawyer glacier is hard to see anymore and you never seem to get close enough. We got close enough to dawes glacier you could have your photo taken with it.

And yeah all the photo in the gallery were labeled sawyer glacier and I had to debate with the photo guys to change my photo since I knew we didn't do the tracy arm. But I could see how people might get confused and assume we did.

Angela

Went to Endicott last week and honestly glad the ship diverted. Sawyer glacier is hard to see anymore and you never seem to get close enough. We got close enough to dawes glacier you could have your photo taken with it.

Thanks for the report. First I have read this year.

Not that we have any control over the itinerary, but some sailings of the 10-day RT San Francisco Grand Princess go to Glacier Bay and some to Tracy Arm (or divert to Endicott Arm). I can see the difference on the map (NW from Juneau versus SE, respectively) but beyond that what are the physical differences between the two? Any differences in what you see and experience? Just curious for future planning if we do another inside passage cruise some day.

Many thanks,

Only 2 ships can go to Glacier Bay per day. Ships go to Tracy Arm pretty much as they don't have enough permits to go to Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is frequently missed - last year it wasn't until August when cruise ships actually got in. Glacier Bay is a National Park and never seems to get missed - it is spectacular. Tracy Arm is gorgeous but many ship passengers never get there. Not sure which you are going to but definitely put Glacier Bay as a top priority if glaciers are important. We missed the glacier on our first cruise (Hubbard) and there was no substitute. It took me forever to get my Mom back to Alaska to see a glacier. By then, her sight had failed quite a bit. So if you only go once, pick Glacier Bay as you won't know if glaciers are important unless you see one!!

Glacier Bay is a day of sailing past many glaciers with 2 large ones at the end. The entrance is not blocked as it is pretty straight. Tracy Arm is a fiord that has lots of twists and turns and 2 glaciers at the end. Some ships can never make that turn to see the glaciers (my trips).

We are on the Solstice, which is supposed to go to Tracy Arm. Looking at photos of the Sawyer and Dawes Glaciers, they both look very nice. So if we have to go to Dawes, is it that big of a difference?

You will definitely experience a glacier by going to Dawes. The scenery getting there is not as aww dropping but you will see a glacier. I have yet to see the face of one of the Sawyer glaciers (4 attempts, 2 with a small boat) so can't compare but I have to say I did enjoy my days at Dawes glacier (1x small boat, 1x large ship). I preferred my Glacier Bay days (many).

The small boat experience to Dawes glacier was definitely superior to the large ship experience there.

You will definitely experience a glacier by going to Dawes. The scenery getting there is not as aww dropping but you will see a glacier. I have yet to see the face of one of the Sawyer glaciers (4 attempts, 2 with a small boat) so can't compare but I have to say I did enjoy my days at Dawes glacier (1x small boat, 1x large ship). I preferred my Glacier Bay days (many).

The small boat experience to Dawes glacier was definitely superior to the large ship experience there.

Thanks for the reply. I am more interested to find out about Dawes for some friends of ours that are going to Alaska for the first time, who have never been to a glacier. We have been to Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Kenai Fjords and Hubbard Glacier in Alaska; as well as others around the world. I will say that our time at Hubbard was the most impressive; but probably because it was our first and the calving was awesome. I am just hoping for our friends to be able to enjoy seeing their first glacier, since they are most impressive wherever they are.

Thanks for the reply. I am more interested to find out about Dawes for some friends of ours that are going to Alaska for the first time, who have never been to a glacier. We have been to Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Kenai Fjords and Hubbard Glacier in Alaska; as well as others around the world. I will say that our time at Hubbard was the most impressive; but probably because it was our first and the calving was awesome. I am just hoping for our friends to be able to enjoy seeing their first glacier, since they are most impressive wherever they are.

At least with Tracy Arm, ships divert to Endicott Arm. With Hubbard, there is not an alternate to go to.

I liked the small ship experience to Endicott Arm - they timed it correctly and we saw Fords Terror. The large ship was ok - if they have nothing to compare it to, it will be impressive if they get close. I would encourage them to do the small boat, regardless where it goes that day.

At least with Tracy Arm, ships divert to Endicott Arm. With Hubbard, there is not an alternate to go to.

I liked the small ship experience to Endicott Arm - they timed it correctly and we saw Fords Terror. The large ship was ok - if they have nothing to compare it to, it will be impressive if they get close. I would encourage them to do the small boat, regardless where it goes that day.

The closer you can get, the better. I will pass your recommendation to them.

We are on the Solstice, which is supposed to go to Tracy Arm. Looking at photos of the Sawyer and Dawes Glaciers, they both look very nice. So if we have to go to Dawes, is it that big of a difference?

I'd suggest you also look at a detailed map, you can see it's a superior transit in Tracy Arm. I too highly recommend the add on boat tour, way far superior compared to a cruise ship transit.

Unfortunately it frequently is dismissed due to cost. IF of interest, this isn't the place to skimp. :)

I am on solstice week after, so please post where you went if you can. Thanks.

I will ensure I post an update. We're booked on excursion TA01 Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer too, so I wonder what happens/ where they take you if it doesn't visit Tracy Arm.

Edited by LPCKG