When a Roll Call is small

AnnetteSC

I've noticed that some of you are aware of when other ships arrive in the same ports as your cruise. Where do you find this information? Also, if the roll call for your cruise is small, do you try to get a tour filled by going to the other ships' (in the same port) roll call?

Thanks!

Hi AnnetteSC

You may find this link helpful.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/#ships

Can't really comment on the Roll Call question, except that if your cruise is for later this year or even next year, the numbers should increase as time goes by.

Your suggestion to fill tours from other ships is unusual.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

there are a few companies online that offer tours that are shared with others in port or town the same day as you; other ships will not let people from other ships join their tours. You can google the port you're wanting tours for, and should get a couple companies that have shore excursions available for sharing. Also check out the ports of call section on Cruise critic

I've noticed that some of you are aware of when other ships arrive in the same ports as your cruise. Where do you find this information? Also, if the roll call for your cruise is small, do you try to get a tour filled by going to the other ships' (in the same port) roll call?

Thanks!

Haven't but interesting idea.

She is not saying she wants to book a tour on another ship....she would like to fill a tour by posting on a roll call of another ship in port the same day. I have done it before and it is a bit more difficult. At least when you are on the same ship you can meet ahead of time and firm up meeting times and places. I also worried that we had weather and was not sure if both ships would be in port that day. Setting up a tour and having people from other ships join you is doable but takes a bit more work. Maybe you can find a tour on someone else's roll call and join them. 😄

She is not saying she wants to book a tour on another ship....she would like to fill a tour by posting on a roll call of another ship in port the same day. I have done it before and it is a bit more difficult. At least when you are on the same ship you can meet ahead of time and firm up meeting times and places. I also worried that we had weather and was not sure if both ships would be in port that day. Setting up a tour and having people from other ships join you is doable but takes a bit more work. Maybe you can find a tour on someone else's roll call and join them. 😄

Oh I understand that; I guess what I meant was that at least some of the tour companies will not allow guests from more than one ship on a tour. I'm sure it's because of timing and having to gather up those going on the tour.

I have seen more and more roll call lurkers. They don't announce themselves and then if someone posts a private excursion they like, they will jump in. Also, many don't plan far in advance. They may be going on a cruise but don't join the roll call until the last month. I have arranged private tours and worried as I got little interest at first, only to find I can't accommodate all the last minute people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CC "roll calls" are, on average, about 10 percent of embarked guests. The largest percent I have seen is 14 percent on Journey Mumbai-Pireaus and that was because there were many questions concerning visas, security, piracy in the Northern Arabian Sea and pre-cruise touring. The larger ships are usually less than 10 percent. Azamara guests, in general, are more travel sophisticated than those on larger ships and do not see benefit in arranging "slot pulls" and "cabin crawls" to self-entertain.