Security at airports confiscating nail files and scissors?

flashdog_1

We will have only carryon luggage for our next air/cruise and don't know if I can live with only an emory board even for a 2 night cruise. Has anyone had experience with anything in a purse or carry that has been taken because it been considered dangerous, like nail files or cuticle scissors?

Also, can you take on matches? Those duty free cigarettes are useless unless I can light one up! Thanks.

Make sure those cuticle scissors are in your checked bags for they can take them if they find them. We had our cruise last month and I made sure those were put away in a safe place. Anything that is not plasic will be taken. I had a lighter in my overnight case that was left alone on every one of our check in points. I do carry some scissors that are very little (under an inch long) and use those with my needlepoint on the plane, but I also have been told they could take those if they so feel like it. Pack what you can in the checked bags.....just a safer thing for all if you do (do not pack the lighters or matches there).

We will have only carryon luggage for our next air/cruise and don't know if I can live with only an emory board even for a 2 night cruise. Has anyone had experience with anything in a purse or carry that has been taken because it been considered dangerous, like nail files or cuticle scissors?

Also, can you take on matches? Those duty free cigarettes are useless unless I can light one up! Thanks.

Yes to the matches. ABSOLUTELY NO to scissors, nail files, ets. That being said, TSA stated they were going to modify their requirements to include scissors that were no more than 3" long, which would include cuticle scissors. However, those modifications produced a LARGE uproar from the public saying NO, NO, NO.

I'm just curious-where have you been??? Those rules have been in effect since 9/11.

Yes to the matches. ABSOLUTELY NO to scissors, nail files, ets. That being said, TSA stated they were going to modify their requirements to include scissors that were no more than 3" long, which would include cuticle scissors. However, those modifications produced a LARGE uproar from the public saying NO, NO, NO.

I'm just curious-where have you been??? Those rules have been in effect since 9/11.

I have had no problem before this because I put the scissors and nail file in the checked baggage. This time, we will have only flight bags for a 2 night cruise, so will have no checked bags.

Great list! I have not taken my cross stitching on a plane since 9/11 but am glad to know that blunt scissors are allowed. I did not see sewing needles on the list. Does anyone know if an embroider needle would be allowed?

Thanks

A needle for cross stitch along with blunt tip scissors should be fine. I flew last year with them and it was fine.

The TSA list changes all the time, knitting needles are now allowed and were not before, same with nail files (yes, see the link, look under personal items). Your best bet is to check the list just before you leave and bring along a printout if you need to put one of the "questionable" items in your carry on.

As for sewing needles, I have frequently carried one or two in a small sewing kit and it has never been questioned; needles are not specifically mentioned either way in the TSA list. For counted cross, you can use one of the blunt tipped ones anyway.

Not only are there 'discussions' about changes

and actual changes and lists, BUT most of all

you have the personnel at each airport. We leave

from Newark and I have had tiny cuticle scissors

confiscated & flat sided tweezers!...so pack

whatever you can....Remember how we no longer

have to remove our shoes? Well, last week at Newark

there was a sign indicating that you no longer are

required to do so BUT if you don't, it might prolong

your security clearance time. The TSA man said to

the man in front of me, Sir I strongly suggest you remove

your shoes. Man replied, I don't have to. Of course the