Epic Hull Balcony

lujaha

In the interests of economy we decided to try a guaranteed balcony for our Transatlantic on the Epic in November. Surprisingly we have had a cabin number already, and I have found out it is 9016, a hull balcony, albeit advertised as a large balcony cabin!

I like to see the sea from my cabin and having read up extensively on this cabin and seen a picture of the actual cabin, I don't think this is possible and I think it would make the cabin dark as well.

Does anyone know if you can change a guaranteed? I gather all balconies are full from NCL website. If not, just how bad will it be? Anyone had one the same? UK cruiser.

Thanks to all who can help.

Does anyone know if you can change a guaranteed?

No. That's the deal with a guarantee, you save a bit of money but know that you're likely to be assigned one of the worst cabins on the ship. The only way to a different cabin would be to see if you can pay to upgrade to a better category. Prices may drop close to sailing. For my upcoming Jade sailing I was able to pay a couple hundred dollars to go from an inside guarantee under the Lido to a balcony and pick up the UDP and some OBC in the process. However, I knew better than to complain about being under the Lido because I'd booked a guarantee and knew what the deal was when I booked it.

Since your cruise isn't until November, you may be able to cancel and rebook, but I can see that you're in the UK, so I'm not sure of the rules for UK bookings.

Since your cruise isn't until November, you may be able to cancel and rebook, but I can see that you're in the UK, so I'm not sure of the rules for UK bookings.

Cancelling and rebooking would involve losing the deposit and having to rebook at the all inclusive rates, which are likely to be higher.

Cancelling and rebooking would involve losing the deposit and having to rebook at the all inclusive rates, which are likely to be higher.

Figures :rolleyes: I can't believe how much variation there is between booking regions.

On the .EU site the AI rate doesn't apply to GTY cabins btw, going at a significant lower price but not sure about the UK?

On the .EU site the AI rate doesn't apply to GTY cabins btw, going at a significant lower price but not sure about the UK?

I can't say I've ever looked at GTY booking, but my understanding is that all inclusive applies to all bookings (hence the comments from people about not being able to avoid it).

Not that it applies here anyway as I assume the OP wouldn't book another GTY if they did cancel and rebook, otherwise they may just end up with the same room again.

I can't say I've ever looked at GTY booking, but my understanding is that all inclusive applies to all bookings (hence the comments from people about not being able to avoid it).

Not that it applies here anyway as I assume the OP wouldn't book another GTY if they did cancel and rebook, otherwise they may just end up with the same room again.

Your understanding is the same as mine regarding GTY bookings and AI, but we have friends who booked AI with GTY in the summer. Its all a bit of a mess I think

Yes, same rules apply to GTY, all inclusive only, which we have booked anyway. I think we are stuck with the cabin, so I have been looking at the positives. On a TA we will sea views every day, bar 2 stops, so no scenery to look at. We can still sit on the balcony in rain and wind. We are not big sunbathers and prefer shade when it is hot. Our friends will be able to join us as there are 2 sunloungers and 2 chairs. There are cabins above and below and there will not be a lot of footfall. Have yet to find out what cabin our friends have been allocated as they are on a cruise at the moment!

Still waiting to hear if anyone has experience with these balconies.

Bad luck, as your neighbours will have an open balcony..

b2c7692e57254e2993a606f30f5fca28.png

7bd8aef0fd99413f89cf96b9a5adbb88.png

Your stateroom is a cat. B6 though, that is a large balcony.

One good thing for the OP is that the farther forward, the bigger the balcony and the darker the cabin. He's in the first hull cabin so perhaps the impact will not be as great as the last time we choose a GTY booking.

When we sailed the Epic in 2013 we also received a hull cabin, but farther forward. We were in 10004 or 10008, and the balcony was very deep, 10' or more (I didn't actually measure it, but it was huge). You could not see the ocean from inside the cabin due to the solid wall where the large opening is. It did make the cabin pretty dark. I'm thinking the first one, rather than the last one, would be slightly better.