Ruby - Iditarod Puppies Onboard

Jeter02

I think I read somewhere, on the Alaskan cruises at one of the ports they bring onboard iditarod puppies. Is this true? If so, which port do they do this.

I'm a puppy lover, and was hoping others have experienced this, as this would be an awesome addition to the Alaskan cruise experience.

I think I read somewhere, on the Alaskan cruises at one of the ports they bring onboard iditarod puppies. Is this true? If so, which port do they do this.

I'm a puppy lover, and was hoping others have experienced this, as this would be an awesome addition to the Alaskan cruise experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2492570&highlight=puppies

Oh! Reminds me of one of our 2012 cruises. We always have a long-time friend house sitting for us, babysitting our dogs. Normally, the GF wouldn't think about them too much...aside from the framed pictures all over the cabin.

RCCL had 8-10 Golden Retrievers on board that were being trained as assistance animals. When they were out and about we were not allowed to touch them, speak to them, etc. It was SOOOO hard! The GF had such a hard time when we would occasionally end up in an elevator with a one-year-old "puppy" in training :hearteyes:

The puppies came on in Skagway. You could get your picture taken holding one. We missed it since we were on the train, but saw the pictures. They were on the ship from 3-4pm.

YAY!!!!! I'm sooooo excited. I already have an excursion with the dog mushers, but this overly excited me. How often can you saw you get to hold and play with these adorable puppies onboard the ship.

The puppies came on in Skagway. You could get your picture taken holding one. We missed it since we were on the train, but saw the pictures. They were on the ship from 3-4pm.

• 11 months later...

I'm so forward to seeing the puppies on my cruise, early next month. I have cats as they fit better with my active lifestyle (being away from home most days 10 to 12 hrs), so I simply cannot have a dog. And in regards to the abuse of these animals, yes I agree, there probably are cases for abuse but I would believe they would be the exception and not common place. Some would even say, bringing these puppies onboard a cruise ship to allow passengers to interactive with them and take pictures with them is abuse in itself. Hogwash! Dogs thrive on attention, affection and human contact. Visit any animal shelter and you'll find that is the case 90% of the time. Those that do not want human contact are those that have received numerous beatings and mistreatment by their previous owners but many of those dogs still can be rehabilitated and go home with a new loving family.

So I say, bring on the puppies!!!