Back from 8 days on Vista and wondering if I am the only one disappointed?

Xystence

Don't be nervous about this ship, we had a wonderful time on this trip and the ports were great. We just noticed a significant difference in the staff and their attention to everything.

Which can happen on any given ship on any given cruise line on any given week.

It's a shame that a post like this sucked the anticipation and excitement out of a few posters who I'm sure were looking forward to their upcoming Vista cruises.

The vista is our second least favorite ship out of 7 carnival ships weve sailed on. To me they crammed all the good stuff behind something that cost money. Like red frog pub entrance in the middle of the photo gallery. Plus those killer thresholds , what os up with that ? Spa is set up all wrong, loud therapy spa next to the tile beds that you try to relax on. Theres really no wow to that ship not even interested in trying the horizon out when she sails. Thankfully carnival still has their other ships.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The vista is our second least favorite ship out of 7 carnival ships weve sailed on. To me they crammed all the good stuff behind something that cost money. Like red frog pub entrance in the middle of the photo gallery. Plus those killer thresholds , what os up with that ? Spa is set up all wrong, loud therapy spa next to the tile beds that you try to relax on. Theres really no wow to that ship not even interested in trying the horizon out when she sails. Thankfully carnival still has their other ships.

When did they move the entrance to the Red Frog??? What is a killer threshold???

When did they move the entrance to the Red Frog??? What is a killer threshold???

The entrance is tucked in a bit from the hall, its not hidden but it sure isnt well advertised.

There are 2 thresholds, one by the sushi place and the other by the future cruise desk that are complete tripping hazards. We were eating right by there one evening and the first person stumbled, we kinda chuckled and thought they had a few too many, by the time dinner was over it was embarrassing home many people tripped and even fell on it.

Vista was very clean. Someone was constantly cleaning the Havana area. However, there were very inconsiderate people who left THEIR room service trays right in front of our door. I don't understand why people just don't leave that in their room! One thing I hate is walking down a passageway looking at all the leftover crap that someone shoved in their mouth.

While I don't like having to put food trays out in the hall, when I've left them in the room, they tend to sit there ignored by the room steward for days until I get tired of looking at it... and then put it in the hall. *shrugs*

While I don't like having to put food trays out in the hall, when I've left them in the room, they tend to sit there ignored by the room steward for days until I get tired of looking at it... and then put it in the hall. *shrugs*

Days ? Really that long ? Time for a new steward if you ask me. And i agree that its disgusting and inconciderate to put food trays out in the hallways. Make a phone call and have it picked up.

We cruised the Vista in Feb. Having been our 18th cruise (on almost all major cruise lines), the ship itself was not our favorite. We too had a lovely vacation with friends and enjoyed ourselves immensely, but it was not because of the ship. Food was decent, our Havana Cabana was AWESOME.

Out of the Carnival ships I've sailed (Victory, Freedom, Imagination, Vista) this one was my least favorite. I really just didn't like the style of the ship. It felt very "shopping mall" instead of ocean liner. The stark white of the main centrum lobby area was very blah. The lounges seemed very small and crowded when we went...as did the pool decks. Just too many people for the spaces they have. We didn't see anything "dirty" but we did have issues with bars/bartenders and acquiring drinks. Not nearly enough bar staff when we went. I've heard they've improved on that end.

We are sailing on the Glory in a couple weeks and I look forward to the colors, crazy decor, multiple lounges with lots of seating and different music/comedy/entertainment type venues.

Out of our Carnival cruise ships that we've sailed on......Vista was my least favorite. The cruise was great....the ship was not to my liking. Just an opinion, as everyone has different taste. That's what cruisecritic is all about.

I really liked the dark wood and carpeting in the Havana area. I don't know, it just felt "special" walking though the door to the Havana cabins.

I agree, while I only saw the outer parts of it as we did not stay in that area I think it was the best looking part of the Vista.

• 2 months later...
Vista was very clean. Someone was constantly cleaning the Havana area. However, there were very inconsiderate people who left THEIR room service trays right in front of our door. I don't understand why people just don't leave that in their room! One thing I hate is walking down a passageway looking at all the leftover crap that someone shoved in their mouth.

Per John Heald, Carnival requests that you leave your dishes outside your cabin, as the staff that picks them up is NOT your Cabin Steward. They have hashed and rehashed this issue to oblivion on the Book of Faces, but Carnival's position is that they are to be put in the hall. Doesn't mean I agree, but it is what Mr. Heald has said that the beards want.

OP, if you didn't like the Vista you might want to rethink that Sunshine trip. She is a 21 year old ship. Yes, she has been upgraded and made all pretty but if you thought that there was rust on the Vista, I'll warn you now that you are going to be plenty disappointed on the Sunshine.

Nope, I liked the Sunshine just fine - but I went well aware that she was an older ship. And it shows in a few places.

Just warning you!

I loved the Vista, I am sorry you did not have a great experience. I change it up between Carnival, Norwegian, and RCI. I had a less than fantastic cruise on an RCI ship a few years ago and I think I just needed a change. I have not had a bad cruise since then.

We cruised the Vista in Feb. Having been our 18th cruise (on almost all major cruise lines), the ship itself was not our favorite. We too had a lovely vacation with friends and enjoyed ourselves immensely, but it was not because of the ship. Food was decent, our Havana Cabana was AWESOME.

Out of the Carnival ships I've sailed (Victory, Freedom, Imagination, Vista) this one was my least favorite. I really just didn't like the style of the ship. It felt very "shopping mall" instead of ocean liner. The stark white of the main centrum lobby area was very blah. The lounges seemed very small and crowded when we went...as did the pool decks. Just too many people for the spaces they have. We didn't see anything "dirty" but we did have issues with bars/bartenders and acquiring drinks. Not nearly enough bar staff when we went. I've heard they've improved on that end.

We are sailing on the Glory in a couple weeks and I look forward to the colors, crazy decor, multiple lounges with lots of seating and different music/comedy/entertainment type venues.

Out of our Carnival cruise ships that we've sailed on......Vista was my least favorite. The cruise was great....the ship was not to my liking. Just an opinion, as everyone has different taste. That's what cruisecritic is all about.

My wife and I are just back from the 6 day sailing of Vista at the end of July, and couldn't agree more with the above comments. We're gold with Carnival, so have sailed different Carnival ships, and Vista is our least favourite, and doubt we'd cruise on her or her contemporaries again.

Our cruise had food in the hallways for days as well, but this was the least of our gripes with Vista. Air conditioning was inconsistent, even in the same rooms/venues. We felt the ship was very modern, but oh so bland. Hated the atrium and the promenade, and the main showroom is poorly designed. These are all common complaints on cruisecritic about Vista.

But my main gripe with her, is that the ship is way over crowded. The ship is too small for the number of passengers. Lifts were particularly bad, as were the pools. Added to this, the way some of our fellow cruisers conducted themselves throughout the cruise left a lot to be desired, and I think the overcrowding compounded this. I joked in our email review to Carnival that they should rename Vista to Carnival Queue.

Saying all that, I have to say that we still had a great "Carnival" vacation. All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly, the food was very good, especially the new venues, and the entertainment was .... very entertaining.

Just our humble 2 cents worth.

MSC Cruises. I hear good things about the Divina. I hear better things about the Yacht Club.

My Wife and I just returned from an 8 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Vista this morning and while we come home saying we had a lovely vacation, we are somewhat taken back by how underwhelming everything was in comparison to past and fairly recent Carnival cruises we've taken.

One year ago we took a week long trip on the Magic and we had a phenomenal time (had been 5 years since our last cruise). Needless to say my decision to stay with Carnival for my cruising needs was good to go. We booked a short cruise on the Victory in November following that cruise and we had a good time, but we both feel the ship was extremely aged (obvious due to age) but more that it just was not kept up with well. After spending a few days on the Vista we felt the same way about the Vista as we did the Victory. The ship was overall extremely dirty, or neglected seems to be the better way to describe.

Without getting into to much of our experience I am just wondering if we are alone in this thought? After this cruise we are already looking at other cruise lines for different options more then we have before. We do have a future cruise on the Sunshine booked already for September 2018 and we are hoping not to be disappointed in the same way we were this time. We have a booked cruise on Disney this November that we booked prior to this trip and are now looking at another line for one in between these two.

The majority of my cruise history is with Carnival and it kind of sucks to be so disappointed.

Thank you for any input!

My Wife and I just returned from an 8 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Vista this morning and while we come home saying we had a lovely vacation, we are somewhat taken back by how underwhelming everything was in comparison to past and fairly recent Carnival cruises we've taken.

One year ago we took a week long trip on the Magic and we had a phenomenal time (had been 5 years since our last cruise). Needless to say my decision to stay with Carnival for my cruising needs was good to go. We booked a short cruise on the Victory in November following that cruise and we had a good time, but we both feel the ship was extremely aged (obvious due to age) but more that it just was not kept up with well. After spending a few days on the Vista we felt the same way about the Vista as we did the Victory. The ship was overall extremely dirty, or neglected seems to be the better way to describe.

Without getting into to much of our experience I am just wondering if we are alone in this thought? After this cruise we are already looking at other cruise lines for different options more then we have before. We do have a future cruise on the Sunshine booked already for September 2018 and we are hoping not to be disappointed in the same way we were this time. We have a booked cruise on Disney this November that we booked prior to this trip and are now looking at another line for one in between these two.

The majority of my cruise history is with Carnival and it kind of sucks to be so disappointed.

Thank you for any input!

Nope, you are not alone in your disappointment with the Vista......we were as well, but not because of upkeep as the Vista is a new ship....but more because of the changes CCL implemented with this new ship.

As with everything else, the cut backs keep coming and this time, to us, it was in the ship itself. They took away all the pizazz and decorated it cheaply (ugly brown/white ceramic tiles in lieu of travertine marble etc), built more cabins and imax theatre (extra fee too), thus more pax and overcrowding in public areas in lieu of the beautiful open atrium with glass elevators, turned the theatre into multi use (but unusable abominable space in the end) room with lots of obstructed seats, main floor with awful chairs that moved and not 'banked' for being able to see well.

To us, it was awful and one of the few cruises that we were happy to 'get off' the ship...so needless to say, we will not be going on the newest addition (the Horizon) any time soon.

PS...they have since refurbished the Victory, and she now has all brand new refurbished cabins and is decorated like the Breeze....we were on her in February while that refurbishment at sea was going on....(another story unto itself....LOL).

I agree with so many that the Vista was disappointing and the endless list of Carnival cutbacks don't help. The Vista was clean on our cruise but the service, layout and design was not good. I'll pass on booking the Horizon anytime soon.

Just a few things that stuck out, the one night we went to the dining room to eat dinner we noticed that the walls had splashed food or sauce on them. Normally this isn't a major issue but this was baked in and upon further look it was kind of all over and had been there awhile. It was something that could've been addressed long ago and would've not be baked in.

Another thing we noticed in our Ocean Suite the rim around the shower and tub area was complete rusted as if no one cared to simply touch this up with caulking at any point. General areas were never up kept and there was dishes lining hallways and tables around the ship even sometimes stuff was remaining over night. There was a plate of eaten pizza on one of the elevators for at least two days that never moved.

On the Lido deck at the buffet it was not hard finding tables that were technically available, but so many were dirty and still had old dishes that it made it difficult to actually be comfortable.

It just felt like the staff had given up.

I used to work cleaning hotel rooms and some folks seem to think that just because theyre on vacation, that it means they can just be nasty; unless theyre like that at home too. Why would someone eat a plate of pizza and just leave it in the elevator?

I try to clean up as much as possible, whether Im on a cruise ship, hotel or eating at a restaurant etc. That's just how I was raised. Do I have to do it when I'm out and about? No. But I know those that have to clean, appreciate the help, especially during busy times. Again as someone who has worked in the industry, I know how some folks can be because they have the mindset of "oh, it's the maids job" "it's the waiter or waitress job" or whomever to clean.

I agree with Heather1972, when we leave our used plates and silverware in the stateroom, they are not removed for days and eventually we reluctantly place them in the hall outside our door or we take them to the Lido deck and place them in the designated spots for dirty dishes. For some reason, the Room Steward is not allowed to remove these items from your stateroom. They do not know if you are finished or still eating/drinking. Sometimes we have left them a note and asked them to please remove the items.

The same goes for our complimentary chocolate covered strawberries, the remnants and plate are never removed by our Steward. I am diamond on Carnival and have experienced this on all cruises I have taken so it's not indigenous to one ship.

I agree with Heather1972, when we leave our used plates and silverware in the stateroom, they are not removed for days and eventually we reluctantly place them in the hall outside our door or we take them to the Lido deck and place them in the designated spots for dirty dishes. For some reason, the Room Steward is not allowed to remove these items from your stateroom. They do not know if you are finished or still eating/drinking. Sometimes we have left them a note and asked them to please remove the items.

The same goes for our complimentary chocolate covered strawberries, the remnants and plate are never removed by our Steward. I am diamond on Carnival and have experienced this on all cruises I have taken so it's not indigenous to one ship.

They are supposed to be placed outside.

Sent from my iPad using Forums