Hints for better packing

tbmrt

Just back from our last cruise on the Fathom Adonia to Santiago, Cuba and the Dominican Republic (7 nights).

I have an extensive packing list which boils down to 1 large suitcase and two carry on airline size suitcases total for two of us (active seniors). I made some notes when we returned showing how we can lessen what we bring on future cruises.

For Caribbean trips I will be packing more lightweight sundresses that can be used for dinner and then as a cover up over bathing suit, etc.

I'll pack more nylon type shorts and lightweight t-shirts and tank tops rather than heavier ones so they can be rinsed out and dried quickly, eliminating weight in suitcases.

Will bring two pair of pretty, comfortable, low wedge heel,flip flop type shoes rather than regular heels. These can be used for casual use around the ship as well as dress up.

I'll keep most of my unused "cruise medicine chest" and toiletry items in one bag to make it easier to pack these for future cruises.

Packing most clothes in basic, neutral colors is really practical so outfits can be mixed and matched.

I like to use packing cubes for better packing and more importantly unpacking. The cubes allow me to utilize the shelves and drawers in the cabin. It keeps clothes less wrinkled too. I pack like items together, e.g. Shirts together, shorts together, etc. I purchased mine from ebags.com but I have seen them in travel stores too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My best advice? Always cross-pack. That way, if the airline looses 1 bag, then both people still have something to wear. This is very important if you have someone in your party who wears hard-to-find sizes :)

We do a carry on 20" roller each. We have been doing this since retiring 4/5 years ago. Started with a 6 month trip when when we realized carrying more would deter from our enjoyment and cause us grief. Since then the only time we pack more is if we are on an automobile trip from home. We found that this enhanced our travel experience since this is what we can comfortably handle on our own-whether it be trains, rentals, climbing stairs to a hotel room, ferries, buses, whatever.

We cut down on shoes. We layer our clothes. Standard colours. We don't bother with the MDR on formal evening since it no longer has much attraction for us. We stopped doing lists because we would end up with too much clothing and too little suitcase to put it in. We pack the night before or the morning of. Half hour max and we are ready to go.

We travel frequently. We are at the point now that when we shop for clothes the first thing we look for is something that travels well.....lighter weight, wrinkle resistant, fast drip dry. Not for everyone but it works for us.