July 4th - How to Celebrate on Getaway

Travel R

We will be cruising on the Getaway over the July 4th / Independence Day holiday and will not be in US waters.

From my research I have not found anything about NCL doing anything special for this holiday.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to celebrate the holiday with my family?

Thanks,

TravelR

I am imagining there will be many fellow Americans on board - perhaps speak to the cruise director and see if he can thrown together something for you all - depending on how many there are.

Getaway is an awesome ship - any excuse for another party will be forthcoming pretty easily :D

Or bring some red white and blue glow sticks and make your own July4th in the Bliss Lounge

Whatever - its a fantastic ship - and it parties well!!!

Independence Day falls on the fourth day of your cruise... The Cruise Critic Meet & Greet normally falls on the first full day. Go to the M&G and ask the officers present if and when (and what type of celebration is planned)

We were on the Spirit in the Mediterranean on July 4th a few summers ago. That afternoon by the pool during the live music they played "God Bless the USA" and said it was in honor of us Americans onboard (definitely in the minority). It was incredibly moving and appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions so far.

As an American, I would like to celebrate the holiday in some way. It does not have to be ship sponsored, but I would like to honor the day in some way, even privately/ among my family.

As an American, I would like to celebrate the holiday in some way. It does not have to be ship sponsored, but I would like to honor the day in some way, even privately/ among my family.

Pack some patriotic shirts or something, dress up as Uncle Sam, decorate your cabin, order a cake to be delivered to your cabin that day, etc...

Put a flag magnet on your door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We are back from our cruise, and we did celebrate the fourth.

Since we were in Saint Petersburg, and the discussion of how their citizens were being treated under the rules of both the Czars and the oppressors of the former Soviet Union - and we also visited the Stasi Document Center in Rostock; we had a short discussion with our daughter about the freedoms we are able experience living in the United States.

Then, at 10 PM, and although it was already a very, very long day, we went to the Atrium where the ship provided a display of fireworks on the big screen to the sound of patriotic songs.

If you are interested, there were non-Americans in the audience.

In addition, I had helped celebrate Canada Day a few days earlier with fellow passengers.