please help!!

hi we have a cruise booked on allure of the seas for 8th Oct 17 and have an ocean view room. We would like to change to a balcony room but I am not getting any sense every time I call RC. Their agents are assuming I want to cancel and rebook which would then cost more than the cruise in the first place. Has anyone managed to change their state room without having to cancel and rebook? TIA Doret

hi we have a cruise booked on allure of the seas for 8th Oct 17 and have an ocean view room. We would like to change to a balcony room but I am not getting any sense every time I call RC. Their agents are assuming I want to cancel and rebook which would then cost more than the cruise in the first place. Has anyone managed to change their state room without having to cancel and rebook? TIA Doret

Welcome to Cruise Critic, doretm. Where do you live?

If you are in North America, then you would have to pay the difference between what you originally paid for your cabin and what RC is asking now for the balcony cabin. If you live in Europe, the rules are different.

hi thanks for your reply! Yes I am in Europe and I don't mind paying extra but it seems crazy to have to cancel and rebook. I'm not all together sure if the agent is understanding what I want though. regards Doret

They refused my offer to pay £700 GBP to upgrade to a junior suite after final payment. I think they must be crazy...whatever product you sell why would you turn down more revenue that comes with additional sales?

Why ? Because I live in the U.K......nuts!!!!

But the booking rules are different in Europe. You can't "just" pay more for a better cabin. You DO forfeit your deposit, and start over with a new booking.

I had no problem upgrading my booking from outside to balcony. Just paid the £80 difference. It was a GYT rate thou. I'm in the UK

I didn't pay a deposit. I paid the cruise in full. Just seems unfair the rules are different in the US

Your laws are different, there are also benefits with stricter travel protection. For example, on NCL, those booked in the US have to pay gratuities on free perks, folks booked on your side of the pond don't.

Your laws are different, there are also benefits with stricter travel protection. For example, on NCL, those booked in the US have to pay gratuities on free perks, folks booked on your side of the pond don't.
Maybe so but surely they can't justify £2500 to change a room that would have cost an extra £100 on booking

What is a guarantee rate please? TIA

Instead of selecting Cabin 3600, you pay a cheaper rate for ANY CABIN in category Q. At some random time before sailing, the cruise line assigns you a cabin that they have left over. You could end up in the back of the ship on deck 2, the front of the ship on deck 9, or if pigs end up flying even a grand suite. In short, it's a cabin lottery.

Keep in mind though that the chances of getting one of the nicer cabins is somewhere between 0 and 00. The cruise line would much rather discount the good cabins and get others who are able to pay to upgrade to do so. That frees up another slightly lower class cabin which someone else pays to upgrade to which then opens up another even slightly lower cabin... and on and on until only the inside cabins on deck 2 under the galley and above the anchor are left.

They are great way to get a cheap getaway if you really don't care where you cabin is.

Maybe so but surely they can't justify £2500 to change a room that would have cost an extra £100 on booking

Of course they can (because that's what you agreed to in the original contract) and cruise pricing, like airlines and hotels, is dynamic so you can't compare with prices at the time of original booking - you have to compare to the current pricing. What you may not know is that you could call RCI three times and get three different answers. While the official policy may be what they you have heard so far (have to cancel and rebook) you may get an agent that will make allowances. Call back, perhaps several times.

Oh, and one other tip - don't pay for the cruise in full until final payment. Not only would this change be much more palatable with a minor deposit loss, but large price drops may also be viable (even with deposit loss).

I know there are rules around promoting travel agents but is there anyway you can tell me more about how it works using a US travel agent from the UK? I've always wondered if this is possible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's very simple. Make google your friend. There are many companies that would love your business. Call them. Check their location and determine time zones.

If more people from the UK et al booked in the US the cruise companies would be more likely to allow customers from both sides of the pond to have access to equal bookings benefits. A quick example... It took a five minute phone call to change my cabin within the same category to a better location on an upcoming cruise. I could not do this if I had booked in the UK. AND I received a refund on the rate adjustment.