New to NCL. Cruising AUS On Jewel- Feedback needed on Mini-Suite, Food and Itinerary

Beh789149

Aloha!

We just booked our first NCL cruise on the Jewel, r/t Sydney on Dec 14, 2017. This is also the first cruise for our two boys (11 & 13). My husband and I have always cruised with Celebrity but we thought NCL would be more entertaining/appropriate for the boys. We have booked a mini-suite for the 4 of us....couldn't pass up the sale rate with kids cruising for "free"...and the beverage package inclusion. We are very casual (we live on Maui..how much more casual can we get?) and are looking forward to a long family holiday. Our boys are pretty outgoing so I'm hoping they love the kids/teens club onboard.

Looking for feedback from folks who have cruised Celebrity and NCL. I'm worried about the quality of food as we are foodies and it's important to us. Would also love some feedback from families sharing a mini-suite...we could book 2 inside rooms but no beverage package. Did I make the right choice here? Last, but not least, I'd also love some feedback on the itinerary from those that have done this cruise (9 nts r/t Sydney) as I'm having troubles finding reviews of this particular cruise.

Thanks!

I cruise both Celebrity and NCL and think the food in the MDR is a step down from Celebrity. I've only eaten in the MDR a couple of times and wasn't that pleased, so I only dine for dinner in the specialty restaurants (charges apply). I find the buffet to be similar. The Great Outdoors is a nice area, especially for a late afternoon snack, as they have sandwiches, chips, cookies and other items available at 3:30pm, it is also open for breakfast. O'Sheehan's is good restaurant and open 24 hours. There is also an Asian resturant on the ship that is included, but I haven't tired it in years. All of the restaurants I mentioned above are at no additional charge.

If you drink more than what the 18% gratuity that you will be charged for each package, then you made the right decision.

Australia and New Zealand will be a totally new itinerary for The Jewel beginning late this Fall. Currently She sails out of Seattle to Alaska.

The Jewel is a wonderful ship with a great staff. By the time you sail, She should be fully decorated for Christmas. I love being on a Norwegian ship during the Christmas season.

We were on the Jewel last year in Alaska. We have never encountered such great service on board! We were not thrilled with the MDR, but we only tried it once. O'Sheehan's was a favorite of mine for breakfast when the hubby was sleeping in, and we enjoyed lunch there a time or two as well. Cagney's was fantastic, as was Moderno. We enjoyed the dinner/show at Teppanyaki (sp?) and LaCucina was fine. As you can tell, we had a dining package. If you're foodies, I would recommend it. Again, we only gave the MDR one chance and didn't like the setting, etc. as compared to Royal where we enjoy meeting new people at a large shared table. The buffet was a buffet which was just fine as I'm not picky. Great french fries if I remember correctly!

We were fortunate to be able to upgrade/upsell at the last minute to an Aft Penthouse Suite which was incredible about 350 sq ft and since we ended up in an unneeded handicap accessible room - a huge bathroom and shower. There were mini-suites on either side of us that were about the same size as their standard balcony (I don't know if all of them are or if the size varies) so I'm not sure how comfortable you'll all be in the same room. Most likely everyone will be coming and going at different times and it won't be an issue?

Have fun - she has the best crew we've come across by far!

The mini suite may be tight for 2 tweens sharing the sofa bed and 1 bathroom for all 4. Definitely recommend bidding for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom family suite also on deck 11. 2 bathrooms and a separate bedroom and bathroom for the kids plus butler service and treats.

Last, but not least, I'd also love some feedback on the itinerary from those that have done this cruise (9 nts r/t Sydney) as I'm having troubles finding reviews of this particular cruise.

NCL has not done this cruise previously so you won't get a lot of feedback/reviews. Last year NCL had the Star in Australia and New Zealand but it was not really successful due to the problems with the Star's azipods.

You will be a first!! But you will find the Jewel an excellent ship to cruise on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aloha!

We just booked our first NCL cruise on the Jewel, r/t Sydney on Dec 14, 2017. This is also the first cruise for our two boys (11 & 13). My husband and I have always cruised with Celebrity but we thought NCL would be more entertaining/appropriate for the boys. We have booked a mini-suite for the 4 of us....couldn't pass up the sale rate with kids cruising for "free"...and the beverage package inclusion. We are very casual (we live on Maui..how much more casual can we get?) and are looking forward to a long family holiday. Our boys are pretty outgoing so I'm hoping they love the kids/teens club onboard.

Looking for feedback from folks who have cruised Celebrity and NCL. I'm worried about the quality of food as we are foodies and it's important to us. Would also love some feedback from families sharing a mini-suite...we could book 2 inside rooms but no beverage package. Did I make the right choice here? Last, but not least, I'd also love some feedback on the itinerary from those that have done this cruise (9 nts r/t Sydney) as I'm having troubles finding reviews of this particular cruise.

Thanks!

We will be joining you on this cruise also. We did the Jewel from NY to LA about 4 years ago, we have also done Celebrity Solstice from Hawaii back to Sydney about 3 years ago. We thought that both ships were fantastic and could not really fault either one of them. Drop me an email mitchella51@optusnet.com.au and I can give you plenty of info re Sydney etc. We live 130 km north of Sydney in Newcastle.:)

We will be joining you on this cruise also. We did the Jewel from NY to LA about 4 years ago, we have also done Celebrity Solstice from Hawaii back to Sydney about 3 years ago. We thought that both ships were fantastic and could not really fault either one of them. Drop me an email mitchella51@optusnet.com.au and I can give you plenty of info re Sydney etc. We live 130 km north of Sydney in Newcastle.:)

Thank you very much. Just booked a home in Double Bay for 9nts after the cruise. Really looking forward to exploring Sydney too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums