POA- Are passports needed?

dogdoc2002

I realize this is probably a silly question, but no where on NCL's website can I find an actual answer. I assume passports are NOT required for US Citizens traveling on POA around the Hawaiian islands, correct? I just filled out the advanced guest registration on-line for our cruise next summer, and there dosen't seem to be an option for US Citizens cruising in US waters-closest I can get is a section that reads: For ALL GUESTS traveling to Hawaii (calling at FAnning Island), Europe, and Southe Americal..." Not a box for US Citizens to Hawaii only, you need XYZ. I'm assuming we'd need just our driver's licenses, just like flying, and nothing more. Am I safe in assuming this, or should I call NCL to ask?

Thanks!!!

No passports are required for NCL cruises in Hawaii since they don't go to any foreign ports. But you will need your original birth certificate as well as a driver's license. It makes no difference that you're only going to Hawaii, they do require the birth certificate as proof of citizenship.

It's very easy with NCL America, they have much less stringent requirements then foreign flagged vessels such as the standard NCL.

Per NCL's website:

SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR NCL AMERICA VESSELS

All passengers 16 years of age and older must provide
PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
for boarding NCL America vessels that travel and stay within the United States/Hawaii Islands, where the ship does NOT travel to a foreign, non-U.S. port of call.

PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
consists of one of the following:

• Valid Passport

• Government Issued Photo ID

• Valid Driver’s License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any passenger traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

Foreign, Non-U.S. Ports of Call:
On cruises where an NCL America vessel calls at any foreign, non-U.S. port of call, please refer to NCL’s Nationality, Documentation and Visa Information for specific, regional sailing requirements.

For the security documentation, you need to use the Fax form (Can't find appropriate online form for NCL America)

http://www.ncl.com/download/faxback/9001.pdf

So just a drivers license required like any other type of domestic travel in the US. If your paranoid (like I was) you can call NCL and get the number for the port authority who will confirm this is all you need.

This is only for NCL America (American Flagged Vessels) not making calls at foreign ports (which probably only happens during repositioning crusies). These are the only 2 ships I know of that don't make stops at foreign ports and thus have much less documentation required.

Have a great trip.

I think the best thing to do is call NCL and ask them. Passport requirments are changing all the time. Used to be you didnt need one to go to Mexico but they said as of Jan 1 2006 you would. Always best to call and ask someone who works with the company you are traveling with.

As always call NCL America if your concerned however this is domestic travel so its not much different then going on an airplane that stays within national boundries. Thats the beauty of this kind of all American port itinerary. No customs to worry about, no special documents needed etc...

But as Prarie Fox said, things are always changing and I do suspect at some point in time perhaps you will need a passport for any sort of major transportation even if it is domestic (ie. Planes, Trains and Cruise Ships). As far as I know the Mexico/Canada rulings were pushed back into taking effect until 2007.

Regardless this should not effect any domestic travel you have planned with NCL America. If you choose a boat/itinerary with a foreign port then all bets are off.

As someone wrote, if you have time, go ahead and get a passport. At some time in the future you will take a cruise other than Hawaii and by 2007 passports will be mandatory (if not sooner for some ports). They are good for 10 years so it's not like you will waste the money. Plus, it will let you take those impromptu vacations out of the country and not have to worry about it.

I just got my docs yesterday for our 1/7 Pride of America cruise. They only mention bringing a valid photo ID like a drivers license. (identical statement to the one posted by someone above.) It does not state to bring a birth certificate or passport as an American citizen.

However, we will probably bring those items anyway. Well, assuming the passports come on time. They should get here prior to Christmas. If they don't come on time, then we won't have our birth certificates either as they go in with the passport application and are returned with the new passport.

Jamie

Don't worry you will be fine with just your Driver License for that sailing. But as advised by others ordering passports is a good idea for future cruises as most of them involve foreign ports which require passports and such.

Ok for my husband and I we have passports, my question is on my 2 kids 13 & 11, do I need to carry an official birth certificate? I don't want to get them passports yet as theirs only last 5 years. Has anyone done this and have they asked for "official" birth certificates for kids? This cruise is the POAm all Hawaii cruise.

I am a passport agent here in Illinois. I urge you to apply for passports for the children. Customs can be very picky about children and traveling and a passport can be a benefit when traveling with children. My personal opinion is that everyone should be getting passports now for travel. Having a passport can certainly lessen a lot of grief, frustration and stress when traveling.

Your getting lots of conflicting information. Call up NCL customer service, ask them the number for the Port Authority in Hawaii and ask them your questions (Since they are the ones who enforce the rules). They were very friendly when I called and confirmed for the Hawaii itinerary on the American flagged vessel you only need ID such as a drivers license. What they do for kids who do not have a ID I am unsure. Although I can tell you a Birth Cirtificate is most assuredly more then sufficient for domestic travel which the POAM is.

Call NCL to get the Port Authority # they are the ones with the last word on the issue.

Stop worrying, your going to have a great cruise, but passports are a great thing to have for the kids for future vacations on foreign flagged vessels.

Passports are the best identification for travelling, but you do not need them for POA while cruising the Hawaiian Islands. The reason being, you will not be leaving the US, Hawaii is a state in the USA, so it will be like travelling from one US state to another. The only time you need a passport (or BC/driver license combo is when you are travelling out of the US. Just follow the identification requirements they ask for.

Archived