Which Itinerary/Ports

We are trying to decide what trip to take. We want to be on the Carnival Breeze out of Galveston in Feb, March or April in 2018. Just looking for opinions of these ports. It's between Key West, Nassau Bahamas, Freeport, Bahamas or Maghogany Bay Isla Roatan, Belize City Belize, Cozumel Mexico . I have been to the 2nd option once but it's been years. All other cruise have always been to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Mexico so we do not want to go there. Opinions please and thank you. Also this will be a cruise with adults only my boyfriend and I and a couple we are friends with as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My choice would absolutely be Option 2. I wouldn't even consider Option 1. I don't care if I ever get back to Nassau and from what I have heard Freeport isn't any better.

Ok thank you. What was wrong with Nassau?

Can I ask why you say that one? Are the other ports not nice?

We are not excursion folks and do a lot of on our own in ports. We just find that we prefer to go to other ports than the Bahamas. Out of the three ports in option #1, Key West is by far our favorite! It really is a fun place to wander around and enjoy the sights and places to grab a bite to eat or some refreshing beverages...adult style! We just like to option 2 best.

My preference is option 1. However, I travel with an older teen and a younger twenty-something. They enjoy the snorkeling in Freeport and Nassau. We all love Key West.

I've done option 2 several times. Love Mahogany Bay and Cozumel. Belize not so much.

You'll have fun either way.

Happy Sailing.

Ok thank you. What was wrong with Nassau?

Our stops there have had weird hours. I am not sure when you are in port, but we have either arrived early morning and left at about 2 or arrived in the afternoon. I have not found much I would like to do there. Atlantis with their water park is expensive especially for only half a day. We have done a tour around Nassau and have gone to the beach nearby. There are much better places in the Caribbean than here.

If you check for threads about people's least favorite ports you will find Nassau listed often. Not to mention Freeport is also listed a lot. Of course you will also find Belize and Jamaica listed a lot too. But I feel you can find more to do in those ports than Nassau. And Belize and Jamaica are not anywhere near the top of my list of favorite ports.

Nassau's weather is like Miami. I am a diver and would not go to Bahamas in the winter. The water is freezing.

That's a good point. We cruise in the summer because of school and always have a small hope the Bahamas will be a couple of degrees cooler than the Caribbean.

I've had fun at all of those ports but I definitely would prefer to option 2 if money were no object - I loved cave tubing in Belize and the Mayan ruins at Tulum from Cozumel and we didn't get to do nearly all the things we wanted to do in Roatan so we already have those ports on our wish list to visit again. I want to see more Mayan ruins and more of Roatan but this time ruins in Belize and Cozumel beach stuff there.

There isn't really much to do in the Bahamas but we have done a glass bottom boat tour from Freeport that was fun and we went into Nassau and just shopped around and took a neat little horse and buggy ride and would have liked more time there but I wouldn't plan a trip based on going back there. If we do go back it will be because it was on an itinerary that included it with other places we do want to go. I have no interest in Atlantis but we like to wander the markets and don't mind stupid touristy things.

other than that any time on a cruise ship is my favorite time so I'm generally pretty happy no matter where we end up. :) Knocking out a major wish list item next April and hope to do Alaska the year after so no idea when we'll get back to these other ports but my wife wants to go to the cameo factory in Roatan so we'll get there eventually.

I would pick the 2nd one. And that came from someone who lived in Nassau and is half Bahamian. Nassau is just not what it used to be - I was there last NYE and it's really gone down hill. Freeport is one of the ports I don't get off the ship, nothing worth seeing as far as I'm concerned. I like Key West, but not enough to book an entire cruise based on one port.

There is just so many different options at the ports in the Western Caribbean. If you like snorkeling it's much better in Roatan or Belize (both on the 2nd largest barrier reef) than Nassau or Freeport. Key West has the Dry Tortugas, but don't know if there's time for that on a port day.

also if it's like most of the itineraries I've seen, Key West time is pretty limited. That's why this summer we are just driving down there and spending our anniversary at a hotel on Duval street for a few days. Then we'll have time to enjoy it for real.

I think it depends on WHY you are cruising. If it is important to you to travel the world and see and experience different places, then go with #1. Key West is a great stop - bars, Duvall St., Hemingway house, southernmost point, key lime pie, etc. Nassau and Freeport are both more beach ports IMHO and I agree that they are at the bottom of my list. But it doesn't stop me from cruising there and we can always find fun stuff to do. It is also true that the weather could be cooler in the Bahamas...Nassau is actually north of Miami.

If you are cruising to get away to someplace beautiful, then #2 it is! You will get a totally different experience in Mahogany Bay than what you would have experienced when the boat docket in Coxen Hole. If you go this way, get off and explore Roatan!

Well, hmm. I think both itineraries offer great options! Here is my personal take on them:

We didn't care for Freeport back in 2010 , it seemed so industrial, and the beach was just OK, but it's been enough years that it might be more tourist friendly now. Key West is so much fun! Can't say enough good things about Key West! Nassau was OK, we enjoyed Atlantis but it wasn't our best day ever or anything. We will be in Nassau in a couple weeks and have booked Blue Lagoon Island, which looks awesome. I'm actually super excited about trying Nassau again

On the other hand.....

Roatan is AMAZING, and my favorite port. First trip, we went to the over-crowded Mahogany Bay beach (rode the chair lift over, which was one of the scariest things ever lol) Second and third trip we went to Little French Key, which I feel is one of those places everyone must experience at least once in their lifetime. It is truly a paradise. I could do without Belize and we didn't even get off the ship last time. I've heard the cave tubing is fun, though. And of course you can't go wrong in Cozumel! There is so much to do! We've been to various beaches, swam with dolphins, and even took a cooking class! The shopping is pretty entertaining too.

Flip a coin! ;)

I think it depends on WHY you are cruising. If it is important to you to travel the world and see and experience different places, then go with #1. Key West is a great stop - bars, Duvall St., Hemingway house, southernmost point, key lime pie, etc. Nassau and Freeport are both more beach ports IMHO and I agree that they are at the bottom of my list. But it doesn't stop me from cruising there and we can always find fun stuff to do. It is also true that the weather could be cooler in the Bahamas...Nassau is actually north of Miami.

If you are cruising to get away to someplace beautiful, then #2 it is! You will get a totally different experience in Mahogany Bay than what you would have experienced when the boat docket in Coxen Hole. If you go this way, get off and explore Roatan!

I am confused by your response. So Option #1 allows you to travel the world and see and experience different places. And on Option #2 you don't travel the world and see and experience different places? I feel they are still different even if Roatan is beautiful. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. I know I am prejudice as Roatan is one of our favorite ports. Nothing like it around me so it is a different experience.

I am confused by your response. So Option #1 allows you to travel the world and see and experience different places. And on Option #2 you don't travel the world and see and experience different places? I feel they are still different even if Roatan is beautiful. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. I know I am prejudice as Roatan is one of our favorite ports. Nothing like it around me so it is a different experience.

I think this was said because the OP said they had done Option #2 once before. Option #1 would be brand new places for them.

OP, I'm sure you will have a fantastic cruise no matter which one you choose. I've been to Nassau, but nowhere else on those itineraries. However, I've heard enough that I am very interested in doing what you call Option #2, but Option #1 - well, not so much.

Blessings,

SiraJoy

I wouldn't have to think twice about this one. Option #2.

Nassau is not even on my remotest "have to go there in my lifetime" list. Key West would be nice but I think the time in port is a bit limited. And Freeport, nope, sorry, not interested.

Cozumel, I think it will be my fifth or sixth time coming up in October, but Cozumel just about offers everything for everybody and is relatively safe.

Belize and Roatan, going for our second visit in a few months. Roatan is fabulous when you get outside the "Carnival manufactured Mahogany Bay but not real Roatan" area (look at Victor Bodden for tours, see the real Roatan). Belize, you might take it or leave it, but even if you stay onboard all day, it is a pretty picturesque area to be anchored! I'd far rather be anchored outside Belize City for the day as opposed to visiting either of the Bahamian ports.

I think this person was saying that because I have been to option #2 before years ago on my first cruise. I loved Roatan and only thing we did in Belize was a private island beach so we never saw actual Belize