San Juan

Any suggestions for transfers from SJU to the port. UBER can't pick up at the airport so any other options that anyone has used?

Thanks!!

Taxi, fixed rate plus $1 per bag, around $20-$25.

Taxi is the best. Bob's prices are a good guideline and they will give you an estimate at the airport. Two things to be aware of, If you have a small carry-on in your lap they may try to charge you an extra $1. If there is another ship in port, and the traffic is crazy, they will charge you a $4 congestion charge.

Also be aware UBER cannot pick you up directly at the pier. You have in walk a few hundred yards to meet them outside of the port.

San Juan is great, enjoy your cruise.

The taxis have a monopoly on transportation to/from the San Juan airport as well as other tourist areas. This is one of the reasons why there are no hotels with airport shuttles. Their fight against Uber has turned violent at times as well. Unfortunately, taxis are one of your very few choices, but it's all set up in a fairly easy way as soon as you exit baggage claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The taxis have a monopoly on transportation to/from the San Juan airport as well as other tourist areas. This is one of the reasons why there are no hotels with airport shuttles. Their fight against Uber has turned violent at times as well. Unfortunately, taxis are one of your very few choices, but it's all set up in a fairly easy way as soon as you exit baggage claim.

I did not know about the monopoly. I always wondered why they did not make it easier to use public buses to get between SJU and Old San Juan since there is a large bus terminal located a short walk from the downtown piers.

What is the best way to go from the airport to the Hampton Inn? We aren't renting a car.

It's only 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies but you'll probably want to take a taxi. it's about 2-1/2 miles by car. Zone 1 to Zone 2 is $10 plus $1 for each piece of luggage.

I did not know about the monopoly.

Yes, it's pretty bad. I've never seen anything like it anywhere I travel to.

Years ago they had it set up that it was almost impossible to get a flight out of SJU until after 4:00PM. I'm sure they had a reason for keeping everyone around all day.$$$$

J.

Any suggestions for transfers from SJU to the port. UBER can't pick up at the airport so any other options that anyone has used?

Thanks!!

If you are flying in same day, you can purchase round trip shuttle service from Royal Caribbean for $36 per person. They meet your right at baggage claim, take your luggage and get you right to ship. They leave every half hour. We were very happy with that service - on Adventure right now. I believe you need to reserve and pay in advance.

If you are flying in same day, you can purchase round trip shuttle service from Royal Caribbean for $36 per person. They meet your right at baggage claim, take your luggage and get you right to ship. They leave every half hour. We were very happy with that service - on Adventure right now. I believe you need to reserve and pay in advance.

I know that a lot of people here are against the RCI transfer for various reasons (cost, frequency of departures from the airport, etc.). But I will say that I liked how the RCI transfer was set up in San Juan, at least for my cruise back in April. In San Juan, you give your large RCI-tagged bags to people that are driving a box truck & you get on a small shuttle bus. You keep your carry-ons or smaller bags with you. Then when you arrive at the terminal, you just walk through the line for passengers with no bags to check. You don't have to wait in line to turn your bags over to the porters. You don't see your tagged bags at your stateroom until later that evening. In a way, it's like the luggage valet program on departure day that's offered on US mainland cruises.

When you do the transfer for a cruise out of Florida, for example, you ride in a large coach bus & the luggage is stored underneath. Then after you arrive at the terminal, you have to grab your bags after the driver unloads them & give them to the porters. Usually it's a very quick process here, but it seemed like it was pretty backed up in San Juan.

Yes, it's pretty bad. I've never seen anything like it anywhere I travel to.

There is actually a bus from the airport. But luggage is not allowed on bus. Only a very small carry bag is allowed & even then you might get a hassle.

There have been lots of problems between Uber & taxis, eg. tourists have been threatened if they use Uber.

NJ