Question on Tipping - What changed?

The last time we cruised (couple of years ago) we had pre-paid gratuities (I think because we did MTD, if I remember correctly). And we then supplemented for the concierge, etc.

Now there does not seem to be an option for that? What happened to pre-paid (which seemed really convenient)? How do we do the tips now?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The last time we cruised (couple of years ago) we had pre-paid gratuities (I think because we did MTD, if I remember correctly). And we then supplemented for the concierge, etc.

Now there does not seem to be an option for that? What happened to pre-paid (which seemed really convenient)? How do we do the tips now?

Thanks for any help.

You can still prepay if you like, though it is no longer required if you have MTD, Just contact whoever booked your cruise.

If you don't prepay, they will conveniently charge gratuities daily on your onboard account.

I booked a cruise in December 2016 for this coming July, and have MTD. The gratuities got added right after I made my final payment. I didn't add them, it just happened. Then I had another payment to make.

Yeah, others have reported gratuities being added by "mistake" when they add MTD. Anything that reduces income has a very low priority (zero actually) to get fixed.

You can contact whoever booked your cruise and have the prepaid gratuities removed if you like.

Yeah, others have reported gratuities being added by "mistake" when they add MTD. Anything that reduces income has a very low priority (zero actually) to get fixed.

You can contact whoever booked your cruise and have the prepaid gratuities removed if you like.

Since December 2016, if booking from Australia, gratuities are now included in your fare. You can only have your tips removed if you booked prior to 14th(?) December 2016. Whilst this is definitely the case for us, I had heard this was the case universally - is that not so?

Cheers

Di

Since December 2016, if booking from Australia, gratuities are now included in your fare. You can only have your tips removed if you booked prior to 14th(?) December 2016. Whilst this is definitely the case for us, I had heard this was the case universally - is that not so?

Cheers

Di

Not on North American bookings Di. Gratuities can either be prepaid or they are charged daily. They are not included in the fare. I don't know anything about removing them.

Not on North American bookings Di. Gratuities can either be prepaid or they are charged daily. They are not included in the fare. I don't know anything about removing them.

Thanks. That was the way here but I believe they changed it due to too many Australians and New Zealanders taking their tips off:( Personally, I think it is better the way it is now and no-one has to worry about tips in the main.

Cheers

Di

Cheers

Di

Not the case for US/Canadian bookings. Prices here do not include gratuities. We still have the option to add prepaid gratuties. If we don't prepay gratuities, our onboard account will automatically be charged daily for gratuities. We can also go to Guest Services and discontinue automatic gratuities.

You can also remove them on the last day- whatever is more convenient to you!

Yes, up to the last full day (i.e., you can't go the morning you disembark).

We did adjust ours, not completely remove, and they were very helpful about it and not argumentative at all. I was pleased with how smoothly it went. (we had some less than ideal service in some areas, and stellar service in others, so adjusted amounts around)

If you do it at the end, it will show on your final bill with all the originals paid, then a complete refund of the gratuities, then the adjusted amount charged (if you adjusted vs. just removing). Not sure if it will still show that way if you remove or adjust at the start of the cruise.

Do look over your bill, though; we had one drink charged twice in the main dining room (a virgin frozen for one son).

I booked a cruise in December 2016 for this coming July, and have MTD. The gratuities got added right after I made my final payment. I didn't add them, it just happened. Then I had another payment to make.

It just happened to us too for our September Harmony. We booked MTD without gratuities. Website said MTD but invoice said 6:00pm, called Royal to straighten it out and they sent me a new invoice. I wasn't happy when the new invoice was $231 higher but then I realized they added gratuities. It really doesn't make a difference to me so I just let it go.