Looking for active, small group excursions (hiking, kayaking)

tuffy0317

My husband and I, rather impromptu, just booked an 8-day Alaskan cruise on Celebrity for over 4th of July week. This will be our 10th cruise (!) but our first time in Alaska. We're interested in small group, active shore excursions where we can hike, bike and kayak - working up a sweat so we can eat all of the salmon :) We're also interested in doing a small boat whale watching excursion, as this will be our first times seeing them.

Our cruise includes stops in Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fijord, Juneau, Skagway and Inside Passage. I am totally overwhelmed at the number of seemingly endless choices during peak Alaska cruise season. Any one have a favorite company to book with in any of these ports? Thank you very much!

Christina

We just got back from Alaska. We did a Kayak tour with Southeast Kayaks in Ketchikan and enjoyed it. If you have an opportunity to do a small boat excursion in Tracy Arm, I highly recommend it. We did the bus up to Carcross and train down in Skagway. The train ride to the top and biking down has good reviews if you want something more active.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look at Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. It is not too strenuous but it hits some of your criteria. This is in Skagway. I would avoid the biking excursion in Skagway/Yukon.

I echo about Tracy Arm excursion being great.

Juneau has whale watching trips. There are companies that have 6-8 passengers on their boats.

We recently did a kayaking tour on Mendenhall Lake (at the Glacier) in Juneau with Beyond Alaska. While the tour was scenic, the guide was hit-or-miss. On the drive to the Glacier, we got some great commentary from him, but once we were on the lake, he was off on his own a lot, leaving us to manage as best we could. (However, he told us that was leaving the company a couple days later for a new job, so maybe your guide would be better.)

Spousal Unit and I enjoyed the Level 3 Extended Glacier Trek with Northstar Trekking (Juneau) and the Triple Adventure Tour (hike, bike, and float) with Sockeye Cycling and Skagway Float Tours (Skagway). Check out my review and photos if you wish. :)

Have a question for you about the level 3 extended Glacier Trek... how 'good physical' shape are they talking? Are they just warning the people with mobility issues it is more intense or would you need to be someone who works out regularly and hikes mountains?

Have a question for you about the level 3 extended Glacier Trek... how 'good physical' shape are they talking? Are they just warning the people with mobility issues it is more intense or would you need to be someone who works out regularly and hikes mountains?

I was curious as well abou the extended glacier trek how strenuous it is

When I booked the extended glacier trek, the suggested fitness guideline was being able to hike five miles over mixed terrain. This is meant to approximate the overall workload of the experience - lots of semi-crouched walking, firm and deliberate stepping to anchor your crampons into ice, pulling the crampons back out. You don't go that far from base camp, but moving requires extra effort that adds up. There's also the option to climb an ice wall, which is more about coordination and leaning your weight forward than physical strength or endurance.

I'm into heavy lifting and some cardio, and I found it enjoyably strenuous - not too difficult but I was tired afterward. Spousal Unit doesn't do any dedicated exercise, but is in reasonable casual shape (can ride his bike around town for a few miles and uphill at a strenuous pace), and he got along fine as well.

I'll let you know about the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari after we go. It's out of Skagway and you take a boat followed by a bus to get way out in the country where you put on rubber boots, etc. and then kayak and hike to the Davidson Glacier. I don't think it's that strenuous, but does require hiking around a mile on rocky terrain. The pictures and reviews are fabulous! It's a highly rated tour but also one that seems to be more off the beaten path. I think the maximum number of people total might be around 40 or so? Most of the pictures I've seen seem to be less than that. It appears you can usually walk near the glacier. If you book this one, it's through Alaska Excursions. There is only one company that does it. My Princess cruise offered the exactly tour (I'd be with the same company, etc.) but it was $20 more. I booked direct.

When I booked the extended glacier trek, the suggested fitness guideline was being able to hike five miles over mixed terrain. This is meant to approximate the overall workload of the experience - lots of semi-crouched walking, firm and deliberate stepping to anchor your crampons into ice, pulling the crampons back out. You don't go that far from base camp, but moving requires extra effort that adds up. There's also the option to climb an ice wall, which is more about coordination and leaning your weight forward than physical strength or endurance.

I'm into heavy lifting and some cardio, and I found it enjoyably strenuous - not too difficult but I was tired afterward. Spousal Unit doesn't do any dedicated exercise, but is in reasonable casual shape (can ride his bike around town for a few miles and uphill at a strenuous pace), and he got along fine as well.

Thanks! That helps :)

This is the only tour I recommend. The other 2 are simply- too short. TIME is the biggest feature with glacier trekker and frankly 3 hours isn't a lot. Forget the 1 hour- you barely get out before you are turning back. Other significant issue with anything shorter is the tour moving only as fast as the slowest person, which- again, my experience and opinion is a poor choice, since the range is unpredictable.

If you just want a slow basic walk on the ice and aren't at least, basically in shape, the level 3 isn't for you.

I'm no mountain climber, and am older, but have no issue with walking a few miles at a good pace without "resting".

My husband and I, rather impromptu, just booked an 8-day Alaskan cruise on Celebrity for over 4th of July week. This will be our 10th cruise (!) but our first time in Alaska. We're interested in small group, active shore excursions where we can hike, bike and kayak - working up a sweat so we can eat all of the salmon :) We're also interested in doing a small boat whale watching excursion, as this will be our first times seeing them.

Our cruise includes stops in Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fijord, Juneau, Skagway and Inside Passage. I am totally overwhelmed at the number of seemingly endless choices during peak Alaska cruise season. Any one have a favorite company to book with in any of these ports? Thank you very much!

Christina

You first should find a whale watch vendor with space. It's simple to do hiking on your own, and I don't book ahead any bike tours. (don't want to ride in the rain/foul weather, they do not cancel). Walk up bike rentals are available out of Skagway, which in my opinion is a great location for a ride out to Dyea.

Kayaking is excellent out of Ketchikan. This is an example of having tours in each of your ports according to your preferences.

This is the only tour I recommend. The other 2 are simply- too short. TIME is the biggest feature with glacier trekker and frankly 3 hours isn't a lot. Forget the 1 hour- you barely get out before you are turning back. Other significant issue with anything shorter is the tour moving only as fast as the slowest person, which- again, my experience and opinion is a poor choice, since the range is unpredictable.

If you just want a slow basic walk on the ice and aren't at least, basically in shape, the level 3 isn't for you.

I'm no mountain climber, and am older, but have no issue with walking a few miles at a good pace without "resting".

Ok, we should be alright then. We are in our mid 40s and casual shape. Did a Rick Steves Europe tour last year that was classified as 'active'. Lots of stairs and we did our own hike down the lower part of the Schilthorn and took the stairs up the Eiffel tower so I hope we'll be ok on this.

I just came back from an Alaskan cruise and did the glacier canoe paddle and trek of Mendenhall Glacier through Juneau Shore Tours and had an amazing time. I think the tour advertises you spend two hours on the glacier, which is more than the other tours and it sounds about right.

The paddling was the most strenuous part of the trip and the breaks the guide gave us were much needed but it wasn't too bad as long as the other people on your boat pull their weight. I had picked this over the tour that is just hiking to the glacier because I didn't trust myself to be able to do strenuous hiking for that long and doing canoeing would mix up what you're working out that day anyway.

I'm always espousing the virtues of the Upper Dewey Lake hike in Skagway--something you can do all by yourselves on foot from the ship. If you have a sunny day, it's absolutely gorgeous. VERY steep at parts, a good workout, but so very beautiful.

Here are a few of my pictures: http://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/skagway-alaska-upper-dewey-lake.html

I'm always espousing the virtues of the Upper Dewey Lake hike in Skagway--something you can do all by yourselves on foot from the ship. If you have a sunny day, it's absolutely gorgeous. VERY steep at parts, a good workout, but so very beautiful.

Here are a few of my pictures: http://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/skagway-alaska-upper-dewey-lake.html

Thank you!

Sounds great, will add this to our list of things to do in Skagway.

We have traveled to these ports several times and very much enjoy the hiking! We have never gone with a tour group, but always meet others along the way and have an enjoyable experience. Here's what we like to do at each port:

Juneau: Hike from ship (via Basin Road) to the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram. $10 to take the tram down (or "free" if you purchase at least $10 worth of food/merchandise at the gift shop). Also, hiking beginning at Mt. Roberts tram building to the top of the mtn. is terrific as well. Perseverance Trail is another one I like- better if you are into trail running and wanting to not have as many obstacles (rocks, switchbacks, roots).

Ketchikan: Deer Mountain!

Skagway: Upper Dewey Lake is beautiful but we often choose to hike around Lower Dewey Lake then Yakutania Point after lunch.

Let me know if you want more info/maps. I have everything saved on my laptop- since we go often enough (but not so often that I don't need to reference walking directions to the trailhead anymore!)

I would appreciate any information you have on Deer Mountain, and Lower Dewey Lake / Yakutania Point. If email is easier, you can send it to kandtquigley at hotmail.com. Thank you in advance!

We have traveled to these ports several times and very much enjoy the hiking! We have never gone with a tour group, but always meet others along the way and have an enjoyable experience. Here's what we like to do at each port:

Juneau: Hike from ship (via Basin Road) to the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram. $10 to take the tram down (or "free" if you purchase at least $10 worth of food/merchandise at the gift shop). Also, hiking beginning at Mt. Roberts tram building to the top of the mtn. is terrific as well. Perseverance Trail is another one I like- better if you are into trail running and wanting to not have as many obstacles (rocks, switchbacks, roots).

Skagway: Upper Dewey Lake is beautiful but we often choose to hike around Lower Dewey Lake then Yakutania Point after lunch.

Let me know if you want more info/maps. I have everything saved on my laptop- since we go often enough (but not so often that I don't need to reference walking directions to the trailhead anymore!)

I would also appreciate the information if you could send it to

ocd dot planner dot cindy at gmail dot com

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used Ketchikan Kayak Company in Ketchikan this week. There were only two of us and they didn't cancel the trip. Because they don't do large groups, I believe the limit is 8, they are able to make it more personalized. And you are on the water longer then the others. We saw some of the ship/larger groups zip by us and make their loop and get out.

That looks amazing! How long did it take to get to the view:

Lynn Canal From the path to Devil's Punchbowl

That looks amazing! How long did it take to get to the view:

Lynn Canal From the path to Devil's Punchbowl

It took me about two hours and forty-five minutes to get to that viewpoint (a little above Upper Dewey Lake), but that included a couple of short breaks and a fair number of picture stops. :) It was beautiful. I suggest planning more time than you think you'll need, because you might want extra gawking time.