NCL transfer from Manhattan terminal to LGA

biojeep

Would like to hear comments from people who have used NCL transfer after their cruise ended to get from Manhattan cruise terminal to LGA since the construction has begun at LGA. Was wondering if this was a hassle free way to get to the airport. We have done this on our past NCL cruises & had no problems- very easy. Been reading of the difficulties of getting to LGA so I thought this would be a good option even if it cost a little more. We will be returning on the Gem in October.

The problem at Manhattan are the streets around LGA where traffic either moves in a snail pace or does not move. I guess more time allowance to get to the terminal is the crucial factor than the manner.

I experienced it 3 months ago so maybe some recent travelers can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most transit forms have to deal with the LGA traffic situation. The wait for the NCL bus to fill up and load luggage is a consideration. However, there is also a wait issue for taxis or black car service. Perhaps the NCL transfer is the least worry option.

In past cruises where we used the transfer it was very efficient & easy so I would hope NYC would be the same.

I don't think NCL can manage the construction traffic any better than another transportation service, traffic is traffic.

Whether it's disembarkation of the Gem or Breakaway, Saturday or Sunday morning - weekends are typically "better" going from MCT to LGA or JFK, where traffic is lighter & flow easier ... as long as there are no roadway closure, constructions. toll plaza lanes blocked, accidents or vehicles on the road causing "rubber-necking" ... and the ship is early/on time, with an orderly walk-off process. Plus, CBP inside the terminal is "adequately" staffed (one can typically used "porter services" for the fast track advantage, we don't mind tipping them just to NOT stand in lines & we are only 30 minutes from home - MCT)

This morning, I was up early & saw the Gem on live webcam cruising under the VZ Bridge around 6 AM and up the Hudson River to the pier ... super, super early for docking. Even if one is among the last to be off the ship & just coming thru, outside & waiting another 7 to 10 minutes for car service ... Google Maps/Navigation and Waze with real-time traffic integration is showing the fastest transfer to be 23 minutes, a 16 miles trip via upper Manhattan (not for buses as it is the parkway.) The slower & more commonly used route is about 10 extra minutes & shorter in distance, due to traffic congestions @ the toll plaza.

There are no delays or issues with LGA's ongoing constructions, traffic is moving nicely ... as seen on live webcam. Departing flights for noon should be okay, 1 PM or later - most definitely not a problem.

But, as in recent weeks, when the ship is "late" & walk-offs delayed, sometimes with passengers still coming off the gangways ... not even thru CBP (that's another 15 to 30+ minutes) at 10:30 or 11 AM, then - rushing to LGA is going to be a problem. The bus transfer itself isn't going to help solve most of the problems.