Please sir, can I have some more?

Owlhelm

Someone makes an off the wall comment about Princess charging to eat in the MDR and you start thinking of it as fact. FAKE NEWS people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Someone makes an off the wall comment about Princess charging to eat in the MDR and you start thinking of it as fact. FAKE NEWS people.

Nope...do not think it is a fact. I believe the comment was "if" they charged to eat in the MDR... Nowhere was it mentioned that it was a fact.

I've never been a fan of buffets no matter how good they are. I don't like walking around searching for something decent to eat or walking around searching for somewhere to sit. They're good in a pinch, but not every night. Call me a snob, but on a cruise I want a quiet table and someone to wait on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never felt the need of someone to serve me but the buffet offers the opportunity to select what I want visually & not by how it described on a piece of paper. I can take as much or as little as I please or sample a little of everything. Try that in the DR.

As fare as portion size goes, the amount of vegetables that are served in the DR is a joke. It's sufficient of a child. :rolleyes:

On the Crown b2b in April and there was an up charge for extra Entree's as stated at the top of the menu.

They used to do the mussel pot as a starter but is now an entree, DW asked if she could have a smaller portion as a starter and was told certainly but will cost you an extra $10[emoji35], I asked for a sauce to be made for my Ribeye and was told they couldn't do it(have done it for past 15 or so cruises) over the last few years, asked to speak to Head Waiter and his reply was sorry sir we don't have the time to make sauces now as less chef's in the kitchen, when I stated their were only 6 tables occupied so not that busy he said he would ask, did get it but think they made it so I didn't enjoy it.

Were invited back the next cruise by friends and DW asked again about the smaller portion of mussels but got the same response, it will cost you $10 more, it was a different waiter, never even bothered to ask about my sauce[emoji85]

Shame really because we used to enjoy our nights in the CG.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Crown b2b in April and there was an up charge for extra Entree's as stated at the top of the menu.

They used to do the mussel pot as a starter but is now an entree, DW asked if she could have a smaller portion as a starter and was told certainly but will cost you an extra $10[emoji35], I asked for a sauce to be made for my Ribeye and was told they couldn't do it(have done it for past 15 or so cruises) over the last few years, asked to speak to Head Waiter and his reply was sorry sir we don't have the time to make sauces now as less chef's in the kitchen, when I stated their were only 6 tables occupied so not that busy he said he would ask, did get it but think they made it so I didn't enjoy it.

Were invited back the next cruise by friends and DW asked again about the smaller portion of mussels but got the same response, it will cost you $10 more, it was a different waiter, never even bothered to ask about my sauce[emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand them enforcing the $10 up charge because it is stated on the menu. I don't like it but I understand. However I don't understand why they couldn't prepare the sauce. For me the point of paying for a "Specialty" restaurant is to receive special service that you don't receive in the MDR. Even in the MDR they will arrange special meals not on the menu as long as they have advanced notice.

Nope...do not think it is a fact. I believe the comment was "if" they charged to eat in the MDR... Nowhere was it mentioned that it was a fact.

Poster may have said "if", but others took it up and its like the secret that gets whispered on and on. Takes on a life of its own. Becomes an urban myth, fake fact, whatever you will. No relation to reality.

Poster may have said "if", but others took it up and its like the secret that gets whispered on and on. Takes on a life of its own. Becomes an urban myth, fake fact, whatever you will. No relation to reality.

Can't speak for others. Can only speak for myself. I read the "if" and know that it does not make it a fact.

I've never felt the need of someone to serve me but the buffet offers the opportunity to select what I want visually & not by how it described on a piece of paper. I can take as much or as little as I please or sample a little of everything. Try that in the DR.

As fare as portion size goes, the amount of vegetables that are served in the DR is a joke. It's sufficient of a child. :rolleyes:

And that's fine for you if that's what you like, I don't. Different tastes, that's all.

I don't think anyone here took it as fact.

I just looked at the online menu and the online Crown Grill info for my sailing next Saturday to Alaska out of Seattle. There is no info on the website that says additional items cost an additional charge. We plan on eating in the Crown Grill. I think I will print this out and take it with me. If they try to charge us, I'll be explaining that's not what their website says.

I just looked at the online menu and the online Crown Grill info for my sailing next Saturday to Alaska out of Seattle. There is no info on the website that says additional items cost an additional charge. We plan on eating in the Crown Grill. I think I will print this out and take it with me. If they try to charge us, I'll be explaining that's not what their website says.

The problem I am having is that there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency regarding experiences posted by those who have been to CG on different ships recently. Up charges posted by some on one ship, no up charge to others on same ship. There seems to be a great deal of arbitrary decisions by servers or dining room managers fleet wide. I am really not sure what to make of it.

The problem I am having is that there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency regarding experiences posted by those who have been to CG on different ships recently. Up charges posted by some on one ship, no up charge to others on same ship. There seems to be a great deal of arbitrary decisions by servers or dining room managers fleet wide. I am really not sure what to make of it.

What that says to me is that it's a soft roll out to the $10 up charges for extras... to ease people into it and it's the discretion of maybe the in charge on that sailing. It's the future, just the way it is like many moons ago when lots of things were free that now have an up charge, at some point it will mandatory mandatory and they won't haven that discretion on that $10. I bet most the menus on board say the $10 at the top and people just kind of overlook it if the server don't enforce it lol! Hopefully some body on a current sailing will go and can take a picture of the menu.

Nothing to add to the debate but just a nod to the OP for the subject line of the thread. It's nice to know other people actually read the classics. (OK, this is a modern classic but still a great one. I've always had a soft spot for Dickens. :))