Livorno to Florence with 6 people - Find Taxi at Port or Arrange Private Car?

JanetCPA

Hi,

My husband and I, his two daughters and their boyfriends will be on the Norwegian Epic and arrive in Livorno on June 22 at 7am. We will have already had two long days of tours (Positano/Wine Tasting/Pompeii and Highlights of Rome). Thus, a formal tour of Florence would likely leave people overwhelmed and exhausted. I'm also thinking that we want to get a little rest and plan on getting off the ship about 8 or 8:30am (rather than trying to rush off as soon as we dock at 7am). Given this, we have decided we'd like to explore Florence on our own (and likely pre-book tickets at either Accademia or Uffizi).

However, with the 6 of us, I don't want us scrambling to get to the train station, worrying about catching the train back, etc. We are treating the kids to this trip and don't mind spending a bit more money for a more pleasant vacation for everyone. I am wondering the pros/cons of pre-arranging a car service in advance versus just getting off the ship and finding a taxi to take the 6 of us to Florence and back to the ship.

We booked a private van with Prestige Rent. We were picked up and whisked away firstly to Pisa before the cruise tours had arrived then to Florence. Best tour we've ever taken and for 6 it would be good value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes 6 people , you might as well book a private transfer. Maybe get a tour thrown in there to save you some $$ and get more for your dollar. I can recommend joe Banana Limos or email (aka italytoursharing.com). They are highly recommended on the board and very good. Have a great time!! I leave in 30 days... whoohoo

Romeinlimo is so we used. They are really good. Definitely get started extra early. It takes 1.5 hours to get to Florence from Livorno. If you arrive at the Accademia on the early end the lines won't be nearly as bad as if you arrive from 11:00 am onward.

Makes sure to reserve your tix online though. We secured all our tix for all attractions before leaving home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like most people here recommend getting something arranged beforehand. We're already doing Rome in Limo tours in Naples and Rome, so I'll check out the car service to Florence as well as a few others.

The girls really do NOT want another tour (just want to explore on our own) and they said they would rather sleep in a bit and leave at 8 as they expect to be quite exhausted from the previous two days of tours. While I could book something that maximizes our time in Florence, I'd rather forgo a bit of time to make sure everyone is more rested and has a good time. Also, they told me today that they prefer not to see any museums (Rome and Pompeii will max them out), so wandering on our own will be what we do.

I honestly thought we would be exhausted, but everyone in our group were 50,60,70 and we were up at 5 every morning and hit the sack at 11:00 every night, we toured 8-10 hours every day, (3 hours of which are driving to get to and from Florence, and your girls could nap on the way to and fro). and because the private tours were so well paced, we didn't burn out. We had much flexibility. We had 8 ports of call over 12 days, with our marathon of Nice, Florence, Rome, Salerno, and many, many other ports.

If you book a third tour, or driver, with RIL then you should or would get a discount with them for booking three "tours."

Also, if you get a late start there in Livorno, I think you will regret it. The later it gets the worse the traffic will be, the less time you will have in Florence, horrible crowds,and of the three places you've indicated, it is THE most beautiful. Also, if it is a Monday, the museums will be closed, FYI

You can just hire them for a transport you without a tour.

If all of us oldies could keep that pace, then young people will be able to do it too. It isn't that hard -- oops just noticed where they don't want to go to the museums. I don't blame them, but to miss the statue of David. OMG. But I get it. It can be system overload

Um, leaving at 8:00 is what you reference. Well, that is about the earliest one can expect to meet their driver in Livorno. Leaving at 8 will get you into city center at 9:30. Yes, that would work. Florence is SO easy to explore on your own and just kind of relax.

Edited by 4cats4me

If you want a relaxing day consider Pisa and Lucca. Florence is wonderful but a long day from Livorno.

In 2014 we hired a driver and van at the dock operated by Tuscany by Taxi. They offered trips to Florence and Pisa/Lucca. We'd been to Florence before so opted for Pisa/Lucca. Nice van and fun driver. They said there are not many taxis allowed at the port so booking in advance or getting off the ship early would be recommended.

We have also used RomeInLimo from Livorno to Florence and in Rome. Excellent service.

Rick

It sounds like most people here recommend getting something arranged beforehand. We're already doing Rome in Limo tours in Naples and Rome, so I'll check out the car service to Florence as well as a few others.

The girls really do NOT want another tour (just want to explore on our own) and they said they would rather sleep in a bit and leave at 8 as they expect to be quite exhausted from the previous two days of tours. While I could book something that maximizes our time in Florence, I'd rather forgo a bit of time to make sure everyone is more rested and has a good time. Also, they told me today that they prefer not to see any museums (Rome and Pompeii will max them out), so wandering on our own will be what we do.

However you really do want to see the tombs of the renaissance bigwigs at the church of Santa Croce

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Livorno is not the port to "sleep in." Keep in mind that it takes over an hour (often 1 1/2 hours) to drive from the port to Florence. And Florence is an amazing city with so much to do and see....not to mention plenty of decent cafes and restaurants. Given the distance....one should try to be on the road by 8 (or earlier) if going to Florence. When we take the train we usually try to catch one of the trains that depart between 7:30 and 8. We have spent many nights in Florence (our home away from home is the Hotel David) and never grown bored with the city and surrounding region.

Hank

Hi, I have two boys whose interest of museums and queues is likely to be the same as your girls. Our driver took us to several places and gave us as long or as short a time period to explore on our own. We didn't go inside one museum or church apart from the one clock tower. We wondered around on our own and arranged to meet up mid afternoon where the driver then took us to a gelato bar off the beaten track. He was also some Kevin Constner in a sharp suit look alike so something for the girls as well. Although the chances of getting the same driver would be very unlikely. We did consider Lucca but he suggested if we hadn't done Florence then we must do that and I'm glad we took his advice. Hope that helps.

If you go to Florence, pre-book tickets for Michelangelo's David at the Academia. You don't have to spend a lot of time there and David is probably the main site of Florence besides the Duomo. I'm not a museum fan either so would skip the Uffizi Gallery. The Santa Croce Basilica is very nice and has the tomb of Michelangelo and others.

Most trips to Florence include a stop at Pisa as it is on the way. If you don't plan to go inside the tower or church you can get pictures and look around in about 30 minutes. If you start late you could skip Pisa or pick it up on the return if you have time.

Rick

Hi, I have two boys whose interest of museums and queues is likely to be the same as your girls. Our driver took us to several places and gave us as long or as short a time period to explore on our own. We didn't go inside one museum or church apart from the one clock tower. We wondered around on our own and arranged to meet up mid afternoon where the driver then took us to a gelato bar off the beaten track. He was also some Kevin Constner in a sharp suit look alike so something for the girls as well. Although the chances of getting the same driver would be very unlikely. We did consider Lucca but he suggested if we hadn't done Florence then we must do that and I'm glad we took his advice. Hope that helps.

Thanks! We ended up booking with Rome in Limo as (1) we have reservations with them in Rome and Naples and (2) they were very prompt in their responses. This should reduce the stress of trying to get everyone on the train and back in time. They get "museumed out" easily; however, I'm going to drag them to the Duomo and I have timed tickets for that. I'll have to convince my husband to return to Florence with just us so he and I can visit the museums!

Thanks! We ended up booking with Rome in Limo as (1) we have reservations with them in Rome and Naples and (2) they were very prompt in their responses. This should reduce the stress of trying to get everyone on the train and back in time. They get "museumed out" easily; however, I'm going to drag them to the Duomo and I have timed tickets for that. I'll have to convince my husband to return to Florence with just us so he and I can visit the museums!

There is also a large flea market there in the town square where they sell beautiful leather purses, scarves, belts, shoes, and you bargain for a good price. Perhaps your girls will enjoy that, too. [emoji6]

We recently did a tour with Giovanni Sirabella who took us to Florence and then to San Gimignano. (No we didn't go into any musuems in Florence but we were there on a Monday and most of them were closed(. The benefit of Giovanni is that he takes you to these places but leaves you to wander around on your own for a negotiated amount of time before he meets you and takes you to the next site. I loved our visit to Piazza Michelangelo to see the sweeping views of Florence and then Giovanni was able to drive us through the streets of Florence pointing out the places of interest before he left us to explore on our own. I really enjoyed our trip and would suggest you check out his website as well. http://www.giovannisirabella.com/