How's the Star Princess lately ?

nimiq

Hello all,

We are finally booked on this one leaving Vancouver June 17th to Whittier Alaska and wanted to know who's been on the Star lately ?

How's the ship ?

The shows ?

The itinerary ?

The food ?

When are the formal nights ?

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Star. Formal nights were day 2 (sea day) and Glacier Bay day. She is in fair to good shape. Nothing bad, but not shiny and new. No complaints. We had excellent service everywhere. Everything was clean and that is what is most important. The presentations by the naturalist and park ranger were great. Puppies were cute, but note a line will form. Line up at the left hand side of the Piazza, not in the middle. We went to many of the shows, just missed one of the singers. The Voice of the Ocean is new to this ship and the finale on the final night was actually quite entertaining.

Alaska is beautiful and breathtaking. Be sure to get out on deck to view the glaciers. We were on Deck 14 to view and also down on Deck 7. Both are great viewing places. You will have a great time.

We were on her a month ago , she is beautiful, her. crew were amazing voice of the Ocean was good . We were on a 10 day Classic Coastal and there were 2 formal nights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off the Star. Formal nights were day 2 (sea day) and Glacier Bay day. She is in fair to good shape. Nothing bad, but not shiny and new. No complaints. We had excellent service everywhere. Everything was clean and that is what is most important. The presentations by the naturalist and park ranger were great. Puppies were cute, but note a line will form. Line up at the left hand side of the Piazza, not in the middle. We went to many of the shows, just missed one of the singers. The Voice of the Ocean is new to this ship and the finale on the final night was actually quite entertaining.

Alaska is beautiful and breathtaking. Be sure to get out on deck to view the glaciers. We were on Deck 14 to view and also down on Deck 7. Both are great viewing places. You will have a great time.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing.

Did you do any of the speciality restaurants ?

Was the menu different in the MDR for Alaska cruises ?

What kinda shows where in the main theatre ?

Did you do any excusions if si where and which ones ?

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are they rotating the lunch and dinner menu in the buffet daily?

I only ask because on the Ruby in JAN of this year they did a 3 day rotation......................served the same menu for 3 days in a row and I have a Hawaii cruise booked for next year and I will starve if the keep that crummy rotation. I'm a buffet girl. :D

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for sharing.

Did you do any of the speciality restaurants ?

Was the menu different in the MDR for Alaska cruises ?

What kinda shows where in the main theatre ?

Did you do any excusions if si where and which ones ?

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, we did eat in Crown Grill. It was excellent. Prebooked (and paid) The menu in the MDR was a bit different then say a Carib cruise. More seafood. They will make the Parmesan basket for the fettuccine if requested one day in advance. In the theater, we had a comedian, Robbie Prinz, a singer, Dave Shelley, the new show from Steven Swartz, Born to Dance, the finale of Voice of the Ocean and a show featuring music from England called British Invasion or something like that. We did not go to Dave Shelley's shows, but we went to all the others and enjoyed them all. We did do one ship excursion, the Native Canoe to Mendenhall Glacier. It was excellent, but we only had 6 people on the 19 person canoe, so we paddled hard. That was in Juneau. We did a private excursion in Skagway. Just did some shopping in Ketchikan. Hope you have an excellent time!!!! Oh and our naturalist was Sandy Schemp. Go to the lectures, they are great and only 45 minutes.

We just returned from the Star yesterday. After 10 Princess cruises, the Star was not so shining. We were in B610. The rug was "rippled", curtain rod broke off but kept clean. Some of the venue tables were worn. Dining room murals peeling and holes. I don't know when she had her last facelift but is in need of one very soon. We bought first time Princess cruises with us and raved about all our other Princess cruises. We were sadly disappointed, and embarrassed, regarding the ship and food. We have a Caribbean and Baltic cruise booked with Princess next year and will need to reconsider. Alaska was breathtaking and should not be missed!

We just returned yesterday and the Star was in wonderful shape for her age. They were always busy spiffing up the ship and everything was fine. Our cabin was terrific too with no discernible rust or wearing. Crew was fantastic and friendly including the captain.

For the southbound itinerary, the formal nights are the first sea day and after the Ketchikan stop.

We ate in Crown Grill and it was very good. They did have the note on the menu about a $10 charge for a second main course but we didn't have one so no worries.

Otherwise food was good. We ate in Club Class two nights and Horizon Court the rest. Menu was pretty similar to other cruises but they had Halibut one night and Crab legs another.

We enjoyed the comedian and the magician (Ben Seidman) although we had seen them both before. Saw a little of Born to Dance and wasn't impressed but we aren't fans of the production shows. Not many availed themselves of MUTS due to cold rainy weather many nights.

We've been to Alaska several times so we didn't do any Princess excursions. We did go with Dyea Dave to Carcross from Skagway and it was fabulous.

Thank you for starting this thread. As I understand she might be going for a facelift after her final Alaska cruise this season. Which I believe is mine LOL so I've been very nervous about her condition. We were on the golden at the end of the Alaska season a few years ago and they were doing regular maintenance but she was about to go right into another season . I'm worried they're going to let things go very badly knowing she's about to go into drydock. I could be wrong she could be rescheduled, haven't looked up with that's what I was told in the past. I'm also concerned about the staff's attitude at the end of the season. I know they are probably about to have a lot of work to close up the ship. And I'm a little concerned about food. Are they going to be out of a lot of things or not serve some of the things they were supposed to because they don't want a bunch of stuff on hand. The staff on the coral princess just out of dry dock was definitely not the best. So I feel like that could be the same problem this time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

12 day Drydock in Victoria starting December 3. Not after the last Alaska sailing by almost three months. She's coming to Victoria from LA.

If the condition of the paint and barnacles on the hull as well as oil in the generators worries you...worry away! But, not too much else that passengers see usually happens at regular scheduled drydocks. Some carpets may be replaced. Crew are constantly being rotated in and out, they aren't all going home at drydock. Crew get a change of pace as they will look after contractors staying onboard, not the somewhat more demanding passengers. Guaranteed that food will be needed for the contractors, they aren't planning to be out if everything when the last passenger disembarks. In most cases the Crew get a shorter work day and more time off and time on shore. Not something that would cause me to be depressed going into a drydock.

AE Collector

Was on the Star about six weeks ago. Crew was awesome as was food and entertainment. The ship, she's another story. Old and tired and in need of MAJOR refurbishment. Best can be described as an old run down motel instead of the beautiful floating hotel that she once was.

Was on the Star about six weeks ago. Crew was awesome as was food and entertainment. The ship, she's another story. Old and tired and in need of MAJOR refurbishment. Best can be described as an old run down motel instead of the beautiful floating hotel that she once was.

Can you comment on the buffet? Do they still have the 3 day rotation?

Sorry, can't really comment on buffet as I am not a big fan of the buffet. Trying to find food I may like while waiting in line, only to then have to go search for a table, all while my food which wasn't hot enough to begin with is now getting colder, is not my idea of a good time!

Not in the evenings. We ate there 4 nights and it was different each time.

Weird how we all experience different things though. We noticed more rust on the Royal in January than on the Star. It sounds like some of the cabins may not be in as good a shape as others but our's was as good as what we've had on other Princess cruises.

Not in the evenings. We ate there 4 nights and it was different each time.

Weird how we all experience different things though. We noticed more rust on the Royal in January than on the Star. It sounds like some of the cabins may not be in as good a shape as others but our's was as good as what we've had on other Princess cruises.

Thanks! This exactly what I needed to know.

Sorry, can't really comment on buffet as I am not a big fan of the buffet. Trying to find food I may like while waiting in line, only to then have to go search for a table, all while my food which wasn't hot enough to begin with is now getting colder, is not my idea of a good time!

I never go at peak times.

I'm just the opposite. I hate sitting in the DR for a full course meal. :eek: I just wanna eat and go.

I will chime in on the Star. May 27th -June 3 Southbound. We had one of the best room stewards onboard. Cabin No. B510 Portside. Our room was always clean and everything used, replaced fresh.

We had a balcony and enjoyed it when ever we could stand a little cold to get out and look around! We saw no rust on the balcony.

It was to cold to go to any MUTS movies, but did catch a few in the Vista lounge.

The Princess Theater show British Invasion was a very enjoyable show with music I knew and could actually sing along! That was the 2nd performance. The 1st production, Stardust was also good. Just get a seat about 45 minutes before the show or one could be standing.

We mostly ate in the dining rooms where we enjoyed a nice selection of food. My husband had the Volcano everytime we ate there. It is a huge banana split. You would need to ask for it unless you have a childs menu. I enjoyed most all desserts but crème brulee was a favorite. The pizza on deck 14 aft is very good, as well as the burger shoppe with hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and BBQ beef sandwiches.

We did a Whale Watching tour in Juneau with Harv and Marv--6 passengers and we saw well over 8 whales. One breached but was so fast I could not get a picture.:( It started off a raining day but by 11 am we had clear skies. Ketchikan...very wet, cold and did I say wet? Wear waterproof shoes.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Alaska....it is breath taken. beautiful.

. . . Ketchikan...very wet, cold and did I say wet? Wear waterproof shoes.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Alaska....it is breath taken. beautiful.

We've been to Ketchikan in May (twice), June and Sep. Had beautiful sunny weather in May, 2014. Other times, not so much. Always a good idea to have waterproof shoes in Alaska, no matter what the port. Enjoy!

AE-COLLECTOR: Well like I said, that's what I was told and I wasn't sure it was still right. So excuse the hell out of me for thinking that could happen. And since I have been working in a restaurant for 20 years I know how people get when they get towards the end of the week, the end of the holiday season, close to a restaurant closing, close to being shut down for a few days with product and I feel that none of the things that I said were unreasonable. I don't think that your response was very kind or informative just hateful. So excuse the hell out of me for being concerned. I guess I'm just a blithering idiot. You probably could have just not responded.

Edited by Mrs.Gosse

Okay, here's exactly what I said (below). I think I included quite a bit of info relevant to your questions rather than just a single sentence reply.

But, I've been trying to talk myself out of responding to posts here so I will take your advice.

AE_Collector

12 day Drydock in Victoria starting December 3. Not after the last Alaska sailing by almost three months. She's coming to Victoria from LA.

If the condition of the paint and barnacles on the hull as well as oil in the generators worries you...worry away! But, not too much else that passengers see usually happens at regular scheduled drydocks. Some carpets may be replaced. Crew are constantly being rotated in and out, they aren't all going home at drydock. Crew get a change of pace as they will look after contractors staying onboard, not the somewhat more demanding passengers. Guaranteed that food will be needed for the contractors, they aren't planning to be out if everything when the last passenger disembarks. In most cases the Crew get a shorter work day and more time off and time on shore. Not something that would cause me to be depressed going into a drydock.

AE Collector

Okay, here's exactly what I said (below). I think I included quite a bit of info relevant to your questions rather than just a single sentence reply.

But, I've been trying to talk myself out of responding to posts here so I will take your advice.

AE_Collector

The need to post exactly what you just posted is unnecessary. I read it. And I read it correctly. If you can read it with zero attitude, zero condescending tone and an absolutely no way thank you for trying to make me feel stupid? Then you probably should seek therapy. Everyone on here always has to be a jerk all the time. A sufficient answer would have been along the lines of "she's going into a 12-day drydock in Victoria but not until December. I've never had any problems with the staff myself. And they won't be ending with your tour so you should be fine." Like I said, I worked in Hospitality for 20 years, that is how people act. That is how restaurants and places that are about to close behave. I'm sorry you don't understand that. There's no reason to try and make me feel stupid for feeling that way. Typical Cruise Critic fashion. A perfect example would be implying that I am worried about the engine room or Barnacles. If you read the responses on here people are comparing it to a Shabby Motel. Does that sound like I'm concerned about the engine room?

I suppose that one mistake I made was that I took pictures of food, and other fun stuff; however, I failed to take pictures of stained carpets, broken flooring and missing or peeled up baseboards and casings. I also neglected to memorialize trip hazards, scuffed or missing paint, etc... Nonetheless, had I done that and posted aforementioned pictures, I still would not have been able to convey the mold smell on some decks and the sewage smell on others. Hence the comparison to a run down motel.

Hubby & I were on the Star in April & we never smelled mold or saw any broken flooring , the carpet we did notice could use replacing and one of our sea days we could smell paint , but never saw what they were painting . Never smelled the sewage either . When she goes into dry dock I'm sure they will fix stuff on her .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk