Afternoon Tundra Wilderness Tour

Moparop

We have a 2pm Tundra Wilderness Tour scheduled as part of our HAL package in July. With 3 small children, I'm thinking a highlight for them would be seeing the sled dog demonstration. Can we get to the 10am show and then make it back for the tour? if we do both am I over scheduling for a 7 year old? If she loses patience with the tour, is there a way back to the hotel midtour or are we stuck?

I assume HAL offers a shuttle service to get you to the park? How often does it run and when does it start? Once you're inside the park there's a free shuttle to the kennel, but you need to board it 40 minutes before the demo.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

I also assume that you can board the TWT inside the park, rather than returning to the Lodge? However keep in mind that most people will board at the lodge so it may be hard to find seats together if you board later. When I go with others, we arrive early so we can get seats on both sides of the bus.

If anyone wants to get off the TWT you can disembark and catch a shuttle bus that is heading back to the entrance. But again, it's space available. You can usually find a couple of empty seats on a shuttle but not 4 or 5.

Ask HAL if you can get a refund on the TWT and book the 2pm Eielson shuttle instead. Kids under 15 are free, you can board with everyone else at the Park so you WILL get seats together, and Eielson is a lovely destination.

Maybe I've been lucky but i've ridden the bus with kids ranging from 2 months to 16 and have never seen a problem. Kids want to be the FIRST to spot wildllife so they're busy watching for movement at every bush and boulder. On the return trip, most kids sleep, as do many adults. You can pick up free Jr Ranger kits to keep them busy and be sure to pack games/videos for them as well. (My only issue on the bus trips has been adults who talk non stop and very loudly.)

Good luck.

All the buses now board at the Wilderness Access Center, NOT at lodges. So, yes, you can do the Dog Sled demo before the tour.

The ONLY way you can "go back to the lodge" if you are talking about the TWT??? is to leave at one of the scheduled stops, then flag down any GREEN bus for a ride back. Keep in mind your tour is 8 hours, so if you find you need to bail out, sooner is going to be a whole lot better that later.

In the past, HAL has not refunded any Denali tours, only Princess.

It has been two years since I have been on a HAL cruisetour but we have always boarded the TWT bus at the Chalets and have not had to change busses at the WAC. HAL seems to using other lodge accomodations so it might depend on where you are staying. Jeff King (Iditarod champion) also has an excursion called Husky Homestead and they will provide round trip transportation from your hotel.

The park demonstration is free and certainly worthwhile and educational but not as convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

"All the buses now board at the Wilderness Access Center, NOT at lodges. So, yes, you can do the Dog Sled demo before the tour." Budget Queen

Not true last week. Our TWT booked through HAL boarded from the Lodge.

"All the buses now board at the Wilderness Access Center, NOT at lodges. So, yes, you can do the Dog Sled demo before the tour." Budget Queen

Not true last week. Our TWT booked through HAL boarded from the Lodge.

I just took the TWT a few days ago and when the bus got to the WAC there was already a number of passengers who had came from the lodge...