Best method for a business call on the Breakaway

chenj78

Taking the Breakaway in a couple weeks and need to take a 30-minute conference call during a sea day. Looking for suggestions on the most efficient way to make this happen. Understand that a wifi call can be affected by spotty wifi speed, but cabin phone is $4.99 a minute? Options I'm aware of are wifi call from my iPhone (AT&T), FB Messenger, iConcierge app call. Feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skype has always been, for years, our default calling App option - before Hangouts/Google Voice (which we used a lot, over secured WiFi or cellular) audio calling.

When I'm on the backup iPhone, I still prefer to use Hangouts audio calling over FB Messenger or Facetime. iConcierge's App calling is basically VoIP and it has been hit-n-miss, even on the Breakaway, we tried & used it (and gave up ...choppy & they couldn't hear us clearly, by-product of high latency from satellite) @ 79 cents a minute. Check with your AT&T, your carrier about their roaming rates at sea and any plans for it

Stateroom calling, outbound on the Gem last month was still $4.99 a minute, it's lowered than before @$7.99+/- but inbound calling, shore to ship, remained at the higher rates.

WiFi on the BA is fairly solid & reliable, Skype or other VoIP do work well with a good 3G connection. If this business conference is important, line up your backup line and if necessary, do the call on stateroom's line - and "expense" it on your report to get reimbursed.

P.S. 5 Ghz band is better & less congested - set your WiFi to default or use that over 2.4 Ghz, your results should be fine.