Reliability of Flybe on the day of cruise departure

cruisefan2012

We have always done the coach from Glasgow but have friends who have flown on the day with no problem as they were too late to book the coach. You could snooze on the coach rather than worry about getting to the airport on time.

We have always done the coach from Glasgow but have friends who have flown on the day with no problem as they were too late to book the coach. You could snooze on the coach rather than worry about getting to the airport on time.

:D Or go and see Michael M in Manchester or Liverpool on another date and make a long weekend of it ......

Ladies & Gentlemen

I`m in somewhat of a sticky wicket and would like some advice...

I have seen online that one my favourite comedians is on tour in 2018 and he just happens to be in Glasgow the night before my cruise on Friday 15th June 2018 with my cruise going on Saturday 16th June 2018 on P&O Aurora (R809)

Would you risk flying on Flybe from Glasgow to Southampton ON the day of your departure? I`m looking at their website on similiar dates for this year, They have two flights I could take ( that IS if the 2018 timetable is the same ) first flight is at 7am landing in Southampton for 830am and the second flight is at 10:20am landing into Southampton at 11:50am

Normally I would stay in Southampton the night before a cruise - He is just too funny too miss !!!

I`m aware of Flybes infamous nickname of "FlyMayBe" but having flown them up and down the land about 60 times since I dont know when I have only had 1 delay and 1 occasion where I missed the flight as I turned up too late...

Would I be better on easyJet or BA from Glasgow to Gatwick then getting a train? What would you do ?!....

As a regular user of Flybe out of BHX, my first comment would be that I believe they are more punctual than Easy jet, but we all know that "Anything can happen", putting risk into the equation.

More to the point, I don't believe their schedules are in place that far in front, and they do have a habit of changing / varying the flight times from schedule to schedule - as do EJ and BA.

You need to conduct the risk assessment and make your choice.

I have used Flybe about 60 odd times taking me up and down and around our beautiful country - I`ve only had 1 delay (Southampton to Manchester in December 2009) and I missed one flight as I turned up too late to check in (Glasgow to Birmingham in March 2015) so I reckon its good odds really but seeing as this cruise is one that I`ve ALWAYS wanted to do I`m not going to risk it

Dont think I`ve ever had a delay on BA but have had a shocking 5 hour delay on easyJet ( Gatwick to Belfast in 2016 ) Had a 2 hour delay on Monarch (Luton to Gibraltar in 2011 )

Not going to risk it - Will be in a hotel the night before in Southampton instead

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question.

I have decided NOT to risk it and will see if I can see Michael McIntyre somewhere else instead !!

Once again thank you for the replies (y)(y)(y)(y)

I think you are wise. And keep an eye out for when MM does his try-out tours. We've seen him 2x, in small venues and very cheap!

I'd keep a close watch on flybe as they have announced a reduction in the fleet due to the financial results (in the red) and that can only mean a couple of things. Reduction in routes and/or reduction/retiming of schedules. I expect a mixture of both and will be watching this carefully at work as I book quite a few flybe for clients travelling up and down the country.

I'd keep a close watch on flybe as they have announced a reduction in the fleet due to the financial results (in the red) and that can only mean a couple of things. Reduction in routes and/or reduction/retiming of schedules. I expect a mixture of both and will be watching this carefully at work as I book quite a few flybe for clients travelling up and down the country.

In Southampton and at least Newcastle airport they have done away with check in staff and you have to do it all yourself including putting airline bag tag on.There is a roaming member of staff to help if necessary.

In Southampton and at least Newcastle airport they have done away with check in staff and you have to do it all yourself including putting airline bag tag on.There is a roaming member of staff to help if necessary.
flybe aren't the only ones, easyJet do this too at many airports. It's a symptom of the low cost airline model, which flybe follows, despite trying to be a 'scheduled airline' when they are in fact, a 'low cost' airline.

Not sure what you mean about scheduled versus low cost. BA is not much more than a loco these days.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps 'full service' would be a better description for BA and others (KLM, Virgin, Air France, Lufthansa etc.) although that has now changed with the charge for in flight catering on BA European routes in Economy, and charges for 'premium' meals on long haul in Economy, oh yes £15 for the British Breakfast on long haul routes. There is still a complimentary meal offered on long haul in economy, but not sure what yet. I need to raise this with the BA rep next time they visit our office.

Low cost carriers charge for refreshments on every route they operate.

However, another distinction is that airlines such as BA publish their schedules nearly 11 months ahead, which low cost such as flybe, easyJet and Ryanair do not do.

Also scheduled airlines in most cases do not demand that the ticket is issued immediately (ie Instant Purchase), there is a ticketing deadline (which can be changed by the airline) but unlike low cost carriers, where payment and as a result the issue of a ticket must take place instantly once the booking is completed.

Also BA's fares by default include a checked bag of 23kgs, the cabin allowance (within size restrictions) is again 23kgs plus a small laptop size bag that must be placed under the seat in front of you.

The default price for low cost carriers is that no checked bags are included in the fare, and these must be additionally purchased. The cabin baggage allowance again differs depending on the airline, again up to size limits (easyJet no weight limit, Ryanair 10kgs, flybe 10kgs or 6 kgs depending on aircraft/operating airline).

flybe is definitely a low cost operator in our book (to those of us who sell flights on a daily basis)

Have flown many times with Flybe with varying results but on one flight from Edinburgh to Southampton we arrived but our baggage didn't! Apparently the plane was too heavy so they decided to offload bags at random and without any consultation. Those of us affected only discovered the problem when the we were left standing in the baggage hall when we were advised that all the baggage had been unloaded. Everyone involved were on a cruise as we were so you can imagine the mayhem at the Flybe desk. As we always travel the day before we had a some spare time. However, we did not tell Flybe that we were not sailing until the next day and as there was still another flight that evening from Edinburgh our bags were delivered to the hotel late that evening, so panic over.

Can you imagine had it been on the day of sailing? We always travel down the day before and this episode proved just how sensible that way is.

Have flown many times with Flybe with varying results but on one flight from Edinburgh to Southampton we arrived but our baggage didn't! Apparently the plane was too heavy so they decided to offload bags at random and without any consultation. Those of us affected only discovered the problem when the we were left standing in the baggage hall when we were advised that all the baggage had been unloaded. Everyone involved were on a cruise as we were so you can imagine the mayhem at the Flybe desk. As we always travel the day before we had a some spare time. However, we did not tell Flybe that we were not sailing until the next day and as there was still another flight that evening from Edinburgh our bags were delivered to the hotel late that evening, so panic over.

Can you imagine had it been on the day of sailing? We always travel down the day before and this episode proved just how sensible that way is.

Every time we use Flybe for cruise from Southampton we fly day before and your story has highlighted the good sense in doing that.

Perhaps 'full service' would be a better description for BA and others (KLM, Virgin, Air France, Lufthansa etc.) although that has now changed with the charge for in flight catering on BA European routes in Economy, and charges for 'premium' meals on long haul in Economy, oh yes £15 for the British Breakfast on long haul routes. There is still a complimentary meal offered on long haul in economy, but not sure what yet. I need to raise this with the BA rep next time they visit our office.

Low cost carriers charge for refreshments on every route they operate.

However, another distinction is that airlines such as BA publish their schedules nearly 11 months ahead, which low cost such as flybe, easyJet and Ryanair do not do.

Also scheduled airlines in most cases do not demand that the ticket is issued immediately (ie Instant Purchase), there is a ticketing deadline (which can be changed by the airline) but unlike low cost carriers, where payment and as a result the issue of a ticket must take place instantly once the booking is completed.

Also BA's fares by default include a checked bag of 23kgs, the cabin allowance (within size restrictions) is again 23kgs plus a small laptop size bag that must be placed under the seat in front of you.

The default price for low cost carriers is that no checked bags are included in the fare, and these must be additionally purchased. The cabin baggage allowance again differs depending on the airline, again up to size limits (easyJet no weight limit, Ryanair 10kgs, flybe 10kgs or 6 kgs depending on aircraft/operating airline).

flybe is definitely a low cost operator in our book (to those of us who sell flights on a daily basis)

Pete, you should be aware that on European routes (classed short haul), BA have now become "no frills" and certainly not full service. All drinks, sandwiches and snacks are now "for purchase" (food by M&S at £5 a go).

With a Basic ticket (economy, hand baggage only), you can either (note higher fare includes 1 bag)

• pay to reserve your seat from the moment you book until check-in opens, or
  • BA allocate you a seat for free when check-in opens. You can then pay to change to a different seat, although your choice may be limited.

Even the flag carrier is changing its short haul model.

Pete, you should be aware that on European routes (classed short haul), BA have now become "no frills" and certainly not full service. All drinks, sandwiches and snacks are now "for purchase" (food by M&S at £5 a go).

With a Basic ticket (economy, hand baggage only), you can either (note higher fare includes 1 bag)

• pay to reserve your seat from the moment you book until check-in opens, or
  • BA allocate you a seat for free when check-in opens. You can then pay to change to a different seat, although your choice may be limited.

Even the flag carrier is changing its short haul model.

I'm not going to argue with you but I did state that BA now charge for on board catering on European routes in my post above. You appear to be implying that I don't know my job. Actually M&S food is not £5 'a go', there are items at less cost.

When I price a ticket (I don't use the website but a GDS), BA fares default to including checked baggage not the other way around which as I stated is how the low cost operators price their tickets.

As for seats, it depends on your frequent flyer level whether you can select these in advance of check in, which again is something the low cost carriers charge for at any time.

I could go on with the differences between low cost carriers and BA, but I won't as this is a thread about flybe.

I'm not going to argue with you but I did state that BA now charge for on board catering on European routes in my post above. You appear to be implying that I don't know my job. Actually M&S food is not £5 'a go', there are items at less cost.

When I price a ticket (I don't use the website but a GDS), BA fares default to including checked baggage not the other way around which as I stated is how the low cost operators price their tickets.

As for seats, it depends on your frequent flyer level whether you can select these in advance of check in, which again is something the low cost carriers charge for at any time.

I could go on with the differences between low cost carriers and BA, but I won't as this is a thread about flybe.

Pete, I am not implying that you don't know your job - because I don't know what you do!! I did make a mistake because it states that the food items are LESS than £5.

I travel approximately 35 weeks of the year using mainly BA, Lufthansa and FLYBE. I stopped using BA because of the price and the lack of service, and very quickly, my Gold status. Even Lufthansa are cutting back on what they offer for the price, but it becomes acceptable because of my lounge perks. From a pure business sense, FLYBE offers a good service, however, I have noticed that the prices are creeping upwards. I have always been able to pick a seat on Flybe, but I have recently travelled Finnair, a so called flag carrier, and had to pay £10.95 each way to book seats - or take the lottery of check in seats. They also serve pre-booked and pre-paid meals. So - the future of air travel looks to be taking a downwards trend, unless you turn left at the aircraft door.