UK and Ireland - Book through a Travel Agent or Direct? Any Difference?

AidenL

Hi all,

I'm thinking about booking a Greek islands cruise in June 2018 - couple of questions for you seasoned experts:

1. is there any benefit to booking via a Travel Agent? Seems that US residents can get additional perks vis their TAs regularly, whereas it doesn't seem as common this side of the pond? Is there a benefit to booking direct and then transferring to a TA, as it seems possible to do in the US also? Not sure if its as common here.

2. is there a price guarantee regarding price reductions if booking in UK or Ireland?

3. The Euro is strongish against sterling right now, is it would be beneficial for me to pay in Sterling. I assume you need to pay in tech currency your credit car is issued from though?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have answers to your precise questions, but in my experience look around and compare offers. In 2014 I booked 2 Celebrity cruises for 2015 and 2016 through an online US TA because the deal offered was much better than direct with Celebrity UK. Then in January 2015 I booked 2 more for Christmas 2016 and March 2017 where the best deal was Celebrity UK's 123Go offer. However currently you need to bear in mind when looking at US pricing that when you book with a US agent your credit card will be charged in dollars. This was advantageous on my US bookings as at that time exchange was approximately £1=$1.6 and still the same when I actually made final payments. So booking in USD you don't really know the final price in your own currency until payment is due. You should however get the US rule that cancelling prior to final payment gets your deposit refunded.

I don't have answers to your precise questions, but in my experience look around and compare offers. In 2014 I booked 2 Celebrity cruises for 2015 and 2016 through an online US TA because the deal offered was much better than direct with Celebrity UK. Then in January 2015 I booked 2 more for Christmas 2016 and March 2017 where the best deal was Celebrity UK's 123Go offer. However currently you need to bear in mind when looking at US pricing that when you book with a US agent your credit card will be charged in dollars. This was advantageous on my US bookings as at that time exchange was approximately £1=$1.6 and still the same when I actually made final payments. So booking in USD you don't really know the final price in your own currency until payment is due. You should however get the US rule that cancelling prior to final payment gets your deposit refunded.

Thanks for that.

I had read on some threads on here that European residents weren't allowed to book through the US?

Any recommended US Travel Agents? And what was the procedure, just via phone or email?

Price both sides of the pond to see which it more beneficial to you taking any perks, promos and TA offers into consideration. Unless you book under a UK promotion where matching any further price drops etc. up to a certain is offered, then it is highly unlikely that you would obtain those price drops/better promotions without incurring penalties ;).

US T&C are different. Refundable deposits up to final payment date and if a better offer comes along, then you can take it without penalty (check that the US TA you use doesn't impose cancellation fees though). Obviously, you would have to take the exchange rate into consideration.

Swings and roundabouts for both. If the difference is small and there is morely likelihood that they may be price drops on the itinerary, then I go with booking in the States.

CC rules are that no recommendations can be made for TAs ;). Both X and Royal allow you to use US TAs. CC has a 'Deal' link above with several TAs that advertise on the site (change to the US website if only UK TAs show).

We seldom book using a Uk agent or direct with a UK office.

When the exchange rate was better, we always booked with a US agent (after using "cruise fish" to monitor rates and cruise compete to get agents sending us quotes).

We now use TunnelBear and Google Translate - (download free tunnelbear and you can look at cruiseline websites in any country). Then use Google to translate pages.

We have booked 3 cruises with MSC using their Italian website and 2 cruises with Celebrity using their Spanish site. Just remembered, we booked another cruise on a Norwegian version of one lines website (it wasn't NCL)

Of course, you need to be aware that some of the docs you get will be in a foreign language, but we have managed just fine.

The price savings can be pretty good - but be sure to check several Countries for the same date/cruise.

Not sure if it is the same wherever you book but we have a B2B in January with MSC and dont have to make final payment until end November, so even that makes a difference.

We seldom book using a Uk agent or direct with a UK office.

When the exchange rate was better, we always booked with a US agent (after using "cruise fish" to monitor rates and cruise compete to get agents sending us quotes).

We now use TunnelBear and Google Translate - (download free tunnelbear and you can look at cruiseline websites in any country). Then use Google to translate pages.

We have booked 3 cruises with MSC using their Italian website and 2 cruises with Celebrity using their Spanish site. Just remembered, we booked another cruise on a Norwegian version of one lines website (it wasn't NCL)

Of course, you need to be aware that some of the docs you get will be in a foreign language, but we have managed just fine.

The price savings can be pretty good - but be sure to check several Countries for the same date/cruise.

Not sure if it is the same wherever you book but we have a B2B in January with MSC and dont have to make final payment until end November, so even that makes a difference.

Final payment dates are different depending on which country you book your cruise in ;).

Did some quick research there, compared prices and just booked 10 days to the Greek islands and Med in June 2018 in Aquaclass. Price seemed decent for Aqua - my last 7 day cruise cost around 70% of what Im paying now, so it seems pro rata and I was happy with the price I paid then.

Went with the Italy and Greek isles cruise leaving Rome on 8th June 2018....
If that's on Reflection and calling at Messina, Valletta, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Piraeus, Naples, we've just disembarked and I think I have to say it's one of my favourite cruises in 13 years and 21+ cruises.

No it sure if it's of interest, but I'm part way through a review of our sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2506092

If that's on Reflection and calling at Messina, Valletta, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Piraeus, Naples, we've just disembarked and I think I have to say it's one of my favourite cruises in 13 years and 21+ cruises.

Thats the one!

Thats high praise indeed - Im looking even more forward to it now !