Internet Cafe - by the minute? Last minute excursions?

Groovyyaya

I've been reading NCL.com, and it mentions the internet cafe (and that they operate on Windows XP!). It lists packages as well.

I am heading to Alaska next month, and was planning on the vacation being an "internet free" vacation experiment. (other than checking in at port, of course).

But in one of my later ports, I'm hoping to meet up with a relative - who may or may not be still fishing. Unfortunately, the day before is a day at sea (well, Glacier Bay), so she won't be able to just call or text me with a "meet you at the Pier!" message. I'd like to set up a time that she emails me the day before so I can go check if she can meet us or not (and if not, possibly book a last minute excursion)

Clearly I won't need 100 minutes to do that - has anyone been in an internet cafe on board lately? Do they charge by the minute?

I've been reading NCL.com, and it mentions the internet cafe (and that they operate on Windows XP!). It lists packages as well.

I am heading to Alaska next month, and was planning on the vacation being an "internet free" vacation experiment. (other than checking in at port, of course).

But in one of my later ports, I'm hoping to meet up with a relative - who may or may not be still fishing. Unfortunately, the day before is a day at sea (well, Glacier Bay), so she won't be able to just call or text me with a "meet you at the Pier!" message. I'd like to set up a time that she emails me the day before so I can go check if she can meet us or not (and if not, possibly book a last minute excursion)

Clearly I won't need 100 minutes to do that - has anyone been in an internet cafe on board lately? Do they charge by the minute?

Most people know that using data or calling from sea to shore with a cell phone can be very, very expensive. But what most people don't know, is that TEXTING to/from your cell phone while at sea might be a totally different matter (not expensive at all). I have a Norwegian telephone plan on my cell phone (as I live in Norway), and if I just use it for texting while at sea (ie. on a cruise) it only cost about $0,40 (40 cents) to send a text message to somebody ashore - and receiving text messages at sea is actually free. I just always make certain that both wifi and mobile data is turned OFF on my phone while at sea (just to avoid any roaming charges), and if someone calls me I DON'T answer it if we are out at sea - meaning that I only use it for texting if needed. And that is much cheaper than paying for internet on board - even the "pay-buy-the-minute" option.

I advice you to check with the telephone company that you use to see it that is the case also for you - and ask specifically for the prices when used at sea (often that price is listed online at the same place where you can see what it cost to use your cell phone abroad - with all countries listed, so you might even find the prices just by checking online).

Edited by TrumpyNor

Thanks for the advice! Will check with my cell phone company. I do have coverage in Canada (I live in the US), so it is within the realm of possibility.

Irritating that they charge you for the time logging on and off!

Thanks for the advice! Will check with my cell phone company. I do have coverage in Canada (I live in the US), so it is within the realm of possibility.

Irritating that they charge you for the time logging on and off!

Definitely check into it, texting is usually the cheapest way to do a quick check in. I live in the US and last I checked with my carrier incoming texts were 5 cents and outgoing were 50 cents while at sea. In port it varied depending on the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely check into it, texting is usually the cheapest way to do a quick check in. I live in the US and last I checked with my carrier incoming texts were 5 cents and outgoing were 50 cents while at sea. In port it varied depending on the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I have Verizon in the US. 50 cents outgoing & 5 cents incoming for texts at sea.

Edited by swilliams1660

... I have Verizon in the US. 50 cents outgoing & 5 cents incoming for texts at sea.
VZW has online tutorial and instructions, specific to their devices (smartphones) on how to change/setup for global or international travel. You need to call their int'l support desk and they can "walk" you thru the procedures to turn OFF all data but leave voice & text ON. Also, reconfirm that your international services is ON and provisioned.

That should be sufficient for you to get that one inbound SMS or text message at a designated time, one day prior to your port - far cheaper & easier than dealing with ship's WiFi and internet or roaming cellular signal $$. As long as you do NOT have cellular and roaming data turned on while at sea, you aren't going to run up billing in the tens and hundreds for web browsing.

The newer generation of iPhones, 6's and 7's have great features that many beginners simply never took the time to learn to use them properly, same with Android devices.

A few text messages while at sea, even at roaming rates are going to cost you a dollar or two, maybe $3 at most with taxes & fees, etc. NCL charges about $75 for 100 minutes of paid WiFi internet access plus a one-time $3.95 activation fee, sometimes waived - incorrect settings, depending on your device, will NOT necessary be a working setup for getting the text message. Besides, a simple 1 or 2 minutes roaming voice call on your smartphone at sea is at most, $10 to $15 - direct and easy. Even at $20, you'll save yourself $50+ over worrying about the use of paid WiFi on the ship, as it sounded as if you will have otherwise no use for it.

I agree, receiving a text message is the way to go. Messages may be delayed/lost while the ship is in Glacier Bay, so they should ask their friend to maybe send a back-up message later that evening. The shorex desk should be open until pretty late.