Over Seas Currency

We did a cruise where we needed currencies in Japan, China, South Korea, US and Canada. So easy to use the one card to withdraw with no conversion fees.

We have it set up on our ANZ Internet banking and can transfer from our normal accounts wherever.

Easy to apply online, even our Asia cruise we visited Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand, used ATM's there with no fees.......I have mentioned before re the Citibank Plus Visa debit card, remember to press Credit not Savings when withdrawing, or you may get charged a fee;p

Up until now we've just used our St George debit card for overseas ATM withdrawals but their fees are getting ridiculous. Plus I think it would be safer to have a separate travel bank account, just in case.

Up until now we've just used our St George debit card for overseas ATM withdrawals but their fees are getting ridiculous. Plus I think it would be safer to have a separate travel bank account, just in case.

Sounds like a plan, we have never had any issues using Citibank Plus and 28 Degrees. Have a $5000 limit on the 28 Degrees used only for travel. They are tucked away in the "travel" spare room when not being used!! along with the ziplocked bags of currency leftovers.........always good to have some on hand for that first taxi/transfer before finding an ATM.

Only place we have bothered to get currency before traveling is PNG, as we knew Kina was difficult to get there if going to the outer islands first.

The days of travellerscheques and buying loads of currency prior to travel has long gone.

We're thinking of seeing if we can get a Citibank debit card. These days I'd rather have a debit card that isn't linked to our main bank account, so the debot card account only contains travel funds.

That is what we do, we just load the card prior to travel and any left over can be transferred back or left for the next trip.

Sounds like a plan, we have never had any issues using Citibank Plus and 28 Degrees. Have a $5000 limit on the 28 Degrees used only for travel. They are tucked away in the "travel" spare room when not being used!! along with the ziplocked bags of currency leftovers.........always good to have some on hand for that first taxi/transfer before finding an ATM.

Only place we have bothered to get currency before traveling is PNG, as we knew Kina was difficult to get there if going to the outer islands first.

The days of travellerscheques and buying loads of currency prior to travel has long gone.

I also use the 28 Degrees for any overseas online shopping, including Amazon for our Kindle books. I buy clothes from Marks & Spencer as I just can't find much I like here in plus sizes.

I have a whole file box full of currencies from all over the world. In the past we've always come home with a little cash left over, ready for next time.

Yes, Kina is worth buying ahead of time if you're going to PNG.

The problem with the travel cards that have currency wallets is that if you don't use all the funds in one wallet they sting you both ways with poor exchange rates - converting to that currency and converting the left-over currency bakc to AUD.

Also make sure you have a second card on that travel card "account". I had my handbag stolen in the UK a few years ago. In it was one of our travel cards - the one that didn't issue a spare card on the account. It happened on the second week of a seven week trip so there we ended up with thousands of pounds that we couldn't access until we got home and could get a replacement card. Then it cost us hundreds of dollars to convert the pound back to AUD. Never again!

i nearly got a travel card that gave you a spare at no extra cost lucky i didnt do it cause not long before i was due to sail out on the Golden they closed it and the date everyone had to have their money out of their cards would have been two days into my trip i can get a spare for my card if i wish and may do so after reading what you just posted on it

and yeah the rate isnt the best i just put it when it was not too bad it was better then the ships at the time though if i was to change money on there and when i was putting it back to au i did try to wait for a better rate but got to a point needed the money for bills