Taking coffee and water off ship

fozzy1975

Lots of questions for me this week as I get closer to sailing! Can I bring my coffee of the ship when we arrive in port? We arrive at some ports at 8am and was not sure if you are able to walk off with an open drink. I know you cannot bring an open drink back on ship but was not sure about taking one off. Thanks

It is going to depend on the ship, port and personnel. There is a great big sign as you exit the ship that says no food or drink to be removed from the ship. I have watch security make a small child throw away a half eaten ice cream cone. I also know of people that pack a lunch from the Lido buffet at breakfast.

Just be prepared to discard. Maybe don't go purchase a $5 coffee on your way off the ship. I love coffee too much to see it have to go in the trash.

It is going to depend on the ship, port and personnel. There is a great big sign as you exit the ship that says no food or drink to be removed from the ship. I have watch security make a small child throw away a half eaten ice cream cone. I also know of people that pack a lunch from the Lido buffet at breakfast.

Just be prepared to discard. Maybe don't go purchase a $5 coffee on your way off the ship. I love coffee too much to see it have to go in the trash.

That sign cracks me up. Standing a few feet from it they always have a crew member standing there selling bottled water and the insulated carrier for it. We always take a snack off ship and never have a problem. Worst can happen, you have to discard it.

That sign cracks me up. Standing a few feet from it they always have a crew member standing there selling bottled water and the insulated carrier for it. We always take a snack off ship and never have a problem. Worst can happen, you have to discard it.

That is not the worst that can happen. You can be fined (due immediately) for fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other food removed from the ship that is not in manufacture sealed packaging.

Lots of questions for me this week as I get closer to sailing! Can I bring my coffee of the ship when we arrive in port? We arrive at some ports at 8am and was not sure if you are able to walk off with an open drink. I know you cannot bring an open drink back on ship but was not sure about taking one off. Thanks

They usually make you toss anything in your hand that is not a bottle of water.

I remember reading on another post about a woman leaving the ship with a piece of banana bread who was stopped by Port security with a dog that sniffed out her banana bread "contraband." She was totally embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should be just fine taking coffee off - I'm a big coffee drinker so but I can't remember if I did this last time. BUT we always take multiple large insulated water bottles (not bottles of water) off with us filled with the first 'drinks' of the day and have never had an issue.

I don't think they have ever checked anything heading out - just heading back in we make sure that everything is empty/sealed.

The answer in part may depend on the port you are visiting, particularly if it is a foreign port. Some do not allow any "food" off the ship and have sniffer dogs to enforce it. In many ports it may not be a problem at all. Thus the different answers.

Some ports allow food items in manuf, sealed containers (like boxes of breakfast cereals, crackers in packets, etc.) but not other foodstuffs.