Best Time to Book Hotel for Alaska Cruise?

JerseyMom

When is the best time to book a hotel for the Alaska cruise? I have noticed that the price for a hotel I was considering for my August Seattle cruise is now $30 per night cheaper than it was in September (for the prepaid rates). Should I book it now or wait for it to go down further?

Thanks!

I was out checking the toursaver site for the one night free with the purchase of a night. Mind you the 2006 Toursaver just came out - and I'm not planning to go until 2007 - just thought I would see what kind of deals they really had - now this is for Anchorage. When I put in dates that would be similar to what we are looking at (Sat - Wed for same week in the year) none of the hotels running the discount had any availability. Now maybe it was just the dates I was looking at - but it appears that if you can find a good deal - go for it. If the rate changes before you go or you find something different then rebook. It looks like rooms (at least in Anchorage) are hard to find the first week in July.

JerseyMom,

Which hotel are you booking and when are you sailing? We're going to be looking for hotel rooms in Seattle for mid-July (hopefully reasonably close to the dock) and, so far, haven't found anything very reasonable. I'll book as soon as I find something. Thanks

spengle - I was thinking of booking the Marriott Waterfront since it is right across from Pier 66. I was hoping to get a half-way decent price but even with the price drop it is expensive - $349 a night. I like the idea of having a nice, relaxing brunch at the hotel the morning of our cruise and just being able to walk over - I understand that the bellmen will even walk your luggage to the pier for you.

Budget Queen - We are planning on this trip to do a round-trip out of Seattle. However, summer of 2008 we are planning a second trip and I think we will go with a one-way so we can spend some more time in Alaska - B&B's are definitely a good idea - do you know if most of the B&B's in Alaska will accept children? My son will be 13 at the time.

JerseyMom,

I, too, was looking at the Marriott since we thought we'd use our Reward points...well, we need 3 rooms and they are not available except for max. points and the price is too steep even at Priceline. Can't seem to find anything reasonable near the cruise dock, so will look a bit further away (hopefully with a shuttle service). Still hoping...

JerseyMom,

I, too, was looking at the Marriott since we thought we'd use our Reward points...well, we need 3 rooms and they are not available except for max. points and the price is too steep even at Priceline. Can't seem to find anything reasonable near the cruise dock, so will look a bit further away (hopefully with a shuttle service). Still hoping...

We have stayed at the Marriott Waterfront quite a few times. It's a very popular hotel and rates don't usually come down much on this place. Because it is so popular, I can see why max. points are required. We were able to use our MR points last year but I think that is because it was early season (5/05). You are wise to start shopping early for a hotel in the Seattle area.

I finally reserved all of my rooms for next summer. I tried to book the Denali River Cabins, non-riverfront for 2 nights using the toursaver coupon and was told that they were fully booked already. I am skeptical!

I wouldn't be.

I am too. As I said earlier - I tried to "book" just to see the rates and everything I wanted was full. It makes you wonder about how good of a deal Toursaver is when it comes to hotels.

I am a many year user of toursaver, and my opinion only, the lodging coupons are never any bargains for me. I have always gotten much better rates and availablity booking B&B's. I have also seen people book 2 nights where 1 would have been the better option due to their short time in Alaska. There are more things to consider perhaps?

Archived