Costa Maya vs Grand Cayman

Pugster4

I'm looking at booking a western Caribbean cruise through carnival and have to choose between the Magic and the Breeze. They have the same itineraries other than the Breeze will stop in Costa Maya and the Magic stops in Grand Cayman. If you had to choose, would you pick Costa Maya or Grand Cayman and why? Thanks for any advice and opinions you give!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say grand cayman. I've visited there almost 10 years ago. Went to stingray city to swim with the stingrays. I loved it. Although I may be biased as that was the sole reason we took the cruise in the first place. We will be visiting costa maya in a week on our cruise and I'm having trouble finding something to do there besides snorkel or go to visit some ruins or go to a beach. We live near beaches so for us that's not a priority on a cruise. We like to experience different things and have already seen some ruins before so looking for something different to do. That's my opinion. Others may feel differently.

We had this choice to make. Since one of our main interests was visiting historic ruins it was an easy decision.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My 2 cents....

If you've never swam with the stingrays and that attracts you, Grand Cayman. Otherwise, GC is a very expensive port for food, drink and shopping. Think high priced port shops. 7 Mile Beach, however, is a great beach for beaching and there are snorkeling opportunities around on the island, specifically Eden Rock just tot he south of the tender piers.

I love Costa Maya due to Mahahual's original quaintness. But that is changing. Still, as previous poster noted, if you want to see Mayan ruins, CM is a good stop.

So if we were just looking for a beach day and good food, what would be the best option? I'm just curious as I know we will go to Grand Cayman on a future cruise since it is on several itineraries

Sunshine Suites Resorts/Sunshine Grill, 7 Mile Beach Grand Cayman.

or Tropicante, Mahahual malecon in Costa Maya.

Both have websites.

Thank you. I have heard a lot about Blue Kay too and like what they have to offer as it doesn't seem as busy and such but is the food quite a bit better at tropicante?

My only issue with Blue Kay is the hard wooden loungers. But that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. Otherwise, it's a good spot and away from the main malecon crowd with direct access when going via taxi.

My only issue with Blue Kay is the hard wooden loungers. But that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. Otherwise, it's a good spot and away from the main malecon crowd with direct access when going via taxi.

That makes sense. Comfort is important! Is the food at Blue Kay as good as tropicante? And is it traditional Mexican or Mayan Mexican at both places? Thanks aha Ian crewsweeper you are a great help!

That makes sense. Comfort is important! Is the food at Blue Kay as good as tropicante? And is it traditional Mexican or Mayan Mexican at both places? Thanks aha Ian crewsweeper you are a great help!

More Mexican flavors, but not tex-mex. Steve at Tropicante does serve a bit of a mix with some american food, cause kiddos want burgers, etc. But his cooks do a bang up job on seafood. and he's got a new place, Busters, that has local artisan vodka and hooch as well as a number of Mexican craft beers. But Blue kay has the nicer sand, IMO. You're not limited to parking in just one spot. It's all open single stretch of beach, see the maps and pics in my signature.

If you go Costa Maya, I've heard several people rave about a place called Mayan Chan, quiet beach with good food and apparently great service. Just another opinion.

Both ports have great options. One thing to consider also is that Grand Cayman is a tender only port and you will be docked at Costa Maya. Tendering adds time and some waiting in lines getting to shore and back to the ship.

GC is not a "poor" place. Prices are in line with just about anything in the US and maybe more. However, if snorkeling is your thing, Eden Rock is a great place and it's only a few steps from the dock. Last time we went, you didn't really have to buy anything although we did rent a locker and bought a few sundry items in their shop. It's the best snorkel spot we've been to besides West Beach in Honduras. It gets deep not far from shore but you can easily see bottom and all the fish and coral that goes with it. No strong currents either.

We'll be in CM for the first time in about a month. But from what I read, they are much different places.