New to MSC - cruising on Meraviglia soon!

Leighglo

We're cruising with MSC for the first time in a matter of weeks, having previously cruised with NCL and Disney.

Quick question re dress code for dining - are there formal nights that we need to dress for? Will I need to pack cocktail type dresses for myself and smarter clothes for hubby and kids? We've not experienced this really in previous cruises as NCL is a bit more relaxed in my opinion.

Really looking forward to the MSC experience!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you will find that you need to dress for dinner on the Meraviglia.

On the Divina, the European, Asian and South American guests were dressed to the nines (either long formal or short semi-formal dresses for the women, tuxes and suits for the men), many of USA and Canadian passengers were also dressed up. Girls had on party dresses and boys had suits. Then there were the Carnival and "Freeslob" cruisers....

As the Meraviglia is sailing in Europe, the passengers most likely will be dressed formally on formal nights and will, at minimum, be country club casual or more on casual nights.

As the dress code is 'suggested' it is not compulsory to dress formally on Gala nights. However, if you're of a mind, then do it! But you will find that there will be some who'll even turn up in t-shirts and jeans, so if that's your thing, you won't be stopped on entering the MDR. The following post will give you an idea of the dress codes and what's not acceptable:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53212942&postcount=8

I imagine there'll be a lot of well-dressed passengers onboard Meraviglia simply because she's so new - it's just a sense I have. We'll know soon enough when the first reviews start coming in.

THANK YOU for this reply! This is something that has bothered me more and more as people dress worse and worse. Not only on cruises but Broadway shows and upscale restaurants. I've always told my kids there's a time and place for everything; special occasions, such as formal night on cruise give us a chance to practice our fancy manners! lol

You want to wear cargo shorts and flips flops, please not on formal night...

I think you will find that you need to dress for dinner on the Meraviglia.

On the Divina, the European, Asian and South American guests were dressed to the nines (either long formal or short semi-formal dresses for the women, tuxes and suits for the men), many of USA and Canadian passengers were also dressed up. Girls had on party dresses and boys had suits. Then there were the Carnival and "Freeslob" cruisers....

As the Meraviglia is sailing in Europe, the passengers most likely will be dressed formally on formal nights and will, at minimum, be country club casual or more on casual nights.

We are going on MSC Meraviglia this summer. I know my husband has to wear pants in main dining room at night, but what about a 4 year old boy? Can he still get by with dressy shorts and a button down or polo on the non gala nights?

In my opinion, I think those between the ages of 9 and 90 should follow the dress code out of respect for other passengers. For toddlers, I think it makes no sense - you only spend money on clothes they will outgrow and they really aren't learning anything dressing up out of respect at that age. For those over 90 they have earned the right to wear whatever they want !!!

In my opinion, I think those between the ages of 9 and 90 should follow the dress code out of respect for other passengers. For toddlers, I think it makes no sense - you only spend money on clothes they will outgrow and they really aren't learning anything dressing up out of respect at that age. For those over 90 they have earned the right to wear whatever they want !!!

I have to respectfully disagree. My kids have been dressing up for special occasions since newborn. My son wore Eton suits with bow ties on his first cruise when he was one. You don't have to go all out and kids clothes doesn't have to break the bank. Lots of almost new clothes on sites like eBay too and it's nice to see everyone making an effort!

I have to respectfully disagree. My kids have been dressing up for special occasions since newborn. My son wore Eton suits with bow ties on his first cruise when he was one. You don't have to go all out and kids clothes doesn't have to break the bank. Lots of almost new clothes on sites like eBay too and it's nice to see everyone making an effort!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Eton suits shorts? The original question was if a 4 year old could wear dressy shorts to the MDR. So are you saying that is ok? Because I know the dress code is pants for men.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Eton suits shorts? The original question was if a 4 year old could wear dressy shorts to the MDR. So are you saying that is ok? Because I know the dress code is pants for men.

Yes, I would say yes on dressy shorts and button down. But I haven't been on MSC yet, that is just my opinion.