Ice tea

Travelbug1978

We are going to be on the coral next month. I know it says ice tea and lemonade are included. I am canadian so my version of ice tea (nestea) is different then what Americans call iced tea (cold tea). What kind is on the boat.

Unless you want to make your own with hot water the ice tea is made from liquid concentrate. It's not bad but sometimes not very strong either. My wife hates it & always makes a large glass with green tea bags during the day & stores it in the fridge.

Unless you want to make your own with hot water the ice tea is made from liquid concentrate. It's not bad but sometimes not very strong either. My wife hates it & always makes a large glass with green tea bags during the day & stores it in the fridge.

We don't like ice tea that is made from tea bags..this is what I want to avoid

We are going to be on the coral next month. I know it says ice tea and lemonade are included. I am canadian so my version of ice tea (nestea) is different then what Americans call iced tea (cold tea). What kind is on the boat.

Yes it's literally cold tea, I wasn't expecting it after gulping a great mouthful. Very unpleasant. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do the same thing. I always have a coffee card so I get a large Mighty Leaf tea in the morning and put it in the refrigerator so I have good iced tea for lunch. The ice tea on board is not very good.

I do the same thing. I always have a coffee card so I get a large Mighty Leaf tea in the morning and put it in the refrigerator so I have good iced tea for lunch. The ice tea on board is not very good.[/quote

As a Canadian I like my nestea and what you drink is definitely not nestea;p

Hi,

Would love to know the difference between Nestea and brewed ice tea. Isn't Nestea a power tea? What is your version of ice tea like? I have a friend from BC Canada and she tell me she can't get American ice tea passed her lips. I have not ask her the difference. For me, I like to make hot tea and then add ice and sugar/sweetener

Think of Canadian iced tea like a sugary drink like a Koolaid or whatnot. It is sweetened. That is the key difference. Nestea is one of many brands that makes it. It is definitely not like a regular tea that is served in chilled form instead of hot. That is why there can be quite the reaction. I remember my first American iced tea in Atlanta and was shocked!!! Tasted so strange! lol.

Hi,

Would love to know the difference between Nestea and brewed ice tea. Isn't Nestea a power tea? What is your version of ice tea like? I have a friend from BC Canada and she tell me she can't get American ice tea passed her lips. I have not ask her the difference. For me, I like to make hot tea and then add ice and sugar/sweetener

Yes our ice tea can come in a powder form and house mix it with water. It also comes in cans and pop machines at restaurants. It's sweater then your ice tea even when you add sugar to yours. It doesn't even remotely taste the same. No one in my family likes the ice tea you guys drink. We like tea just not cold.

Yes our ice tea can come in a powder form and house mix it with water. It also comes in cans and pop machines at restaurants. It's sweater then your ice tea even when you add sugar to yours. It doesn't even remotely taste the same. No one in my family likes the ice tea you guys drink. We like tea just not cold.

Thanks for the info. My friend from BC will bring me some Canadian candy too. I like the one (I think called) Krispy ? It is a layered cracker candy with some coffee cream covered in chocolate. It comes is a yellow wrapper. I forget the name because I ate them all. She also brings me Oh Henry bars (small ones). The Canadian ones seem to have more nugget(spelling?) in them. They are good too. But alas, poor me, ate them all!

Iced tea is literally that - iced tea! Tea over ice. What you are drinking is a chemical concoction meant to vaguely resemble iced tea. Personally, I can't stand instant "iced tea" or the syrup-based "iced tea" that Princess serves. Good iced tea should be brewed, or even better, made as "sun tea". It's most refreshing without sugar, maybe with lemon if you like it (I don't). "Sweet tea" is so sugary you might as well just be drinking soda.

If you only like Nestea, you should plan to bring your own jar.

Iced tea is literally that - iced tea! Tea over ice. What you are drinking is a chemical concoction meant to vaguely resemble iced tea. Personally, I can't stand instant "iced tea" or the syrup-based "iced tea" that Princess serves. Good iced tea should be brewed, or even better, made as "sun tea". It's most refreshing without sugar, maybe with lemon if you like it (I don't). "Sweet tea" is so sugary you might as well just be drinking soda.

If you only like Nestea, you should plan to bring your own jar.

While I agree that good iced tea is made from brewed hot tea, I don't like sun tea. It has a funny taste to me.

And I will not drink the "tea" mix options.

When I first read the OP's opening post I wondered what the difference was between Canadian "Ice Tea," and what U.S. "Iced Tea."

Reading subsequent posts I have learned some things, but I am still uncertain about some other things.

It sounds like "Ice Tea" can only be made from Nestea powder. Do I have that right?

It also sounds like "Ice Tea" is sweet. In the U.S., especially, in the south, although we can find it in the supermarkets here in Southern California, many people enjoy "Sweet Tea." I'd always thought that this was Iced Tea with lots of sweetener added. Have any Canadians tried "Sweet Tea," and, if so, does it compare to "Ice Tea."

I'm really confused by Canadians' apparent surprise and disappointment that "Iced Tea" is cold. Is "Ice Tea" a room temperature or a hot beverage?

I really find this interesting.

When I first read the OP's opening post I wondered what the difference was between Canadian "Ice Tea," and what U.S. "Iced Tea."

Reading subsequent posts I have learned some things, but I am still uncertain about some other things.

It sounds like "Ice Tea" can only be made from Nestea powder. Do I have that right?

It also sounds like "Ice Tea" is sweet. In the U.S., especially, in the south, although we can find it in the supermarkets here in Southern California, many people enjoy "Sweet Tea." I'd always thought that this was Iced Tea with lots of sweetener added. Have any Canadians tried "Sweet Tea," and, if so, does it compare to "Ice Tea.

I'm really confused by Canadians' apparent surprise and disappointment that "Iced Tea" is cold. Is "Ice Tea" a room temperature or a hot beverage?

I really find this interesting.

I'm Canadian and I hope I can help. Yes, Canadian iced tea is sweet. It is drunk cold (not room temperature) but it doesn't taste like straight cold tea because it's a powdered sickenly sweet drink (seriously, think Kool-Aid). It's not tea at all. It doesn't have to be made by Nestea but that is one of the most popular brands. I LOVE American unsweetened ice tea and am always so happy to get it. Yum!

Thanks, Geocruiser. Way down in your cited document is this:

I stumbled upon your page about the history of iced tea… pretty interesting! I liked it except for one thing… you say “Outside of the southern states, iced tea is served unsweetened or “black,” and most people have never even heard of sweet tea.”

Not quite true! In Canada, sweetened iced tea is the standard and people drink it at almost every meal and year round, like the southern states. No self-respecting Canadian would drink unsweetened iced tea… that’s not iced tea, it’s just black tea, cold. This is why many unsuspecting Canadian tourists have a rude shock in store for them when they order iced tea in a northern state. Thanks for the read! – Rachael Frey (12/18/06)

This almost sounds like Canadian Ice Tea is very similar to the U.S. Sweet Tea. Canadian posters above seem to think

that adding sugar is not enough.

I checked my old reliable, Wikipedia, and found this:

In Canada, iced tea refers to sweetened iced tea, flavoured with lemon. The iced tea is usually made at home from drink powder or obtained in bottles or cans. Sweetened green teas and those flavoured with raspberry, peach, or pomegranate are also becoming more common via marketing efforts. Sweetened iced tea is often served as an alternative to other soft drinks, prepared by companies like Lipton, Arizona, Nestlé (Nestea) and Brisk. Water, sugar and flavourings may exceed tea in terms of quantity in these drinks. Many health food and specialty stores carry iced tea made of whole leaf tea without additives. Fresh-brewed iced tea is also popular, particularly in smaller independently owned restaurants. Powdered or frozen iced tea is a common preparation at home, due to its ease of use.

Several of the above posters seemed to imply that their preferred version was made from powder and the preferred maker was Nestea. This Wikipedia entry seems to support that and, not surprisingly, lists other makers.

Is "flavored by lemon" the distinguishing characteristic?

I've learned quite a bit, today, but I truly wish that some of the Canadian contributors would come back and let us know if Canadian Ice Tea is similar to U.S. Sweet Tea and clarify whether it is a cold drink.

Thanks, Geocruiser. Way down in your cited document is this:

I stumbled upon your page about the history of iced tea… pretty interesting! I liked it except for one thing… you say “Outside of the southern states, iced tea is served unsweetened or “black,” and most people have never even heard of sweet tea.”

Not quite true! In Canada, sweetened iced tea is the standard and people drink it at almost every meal and year round, like the southern states. No self-respecting Canadian would drink unsweetened iced tea… that’s not iced tea, it’s just black tea, cold. This is why many unsuspecting Canadian tourists have a rude shock in store for them when they order iced tea in a northern state. Thanks for the read! – Rachael Frey (12/18/06)

This almost sounds like Canadian Ice Tea is very similar to the U.S. Sweet Tea. Canadian posters above seem to think

that adding sugar is not enough.

I checked my old reliable, Wikipedia, and found this:

In Canada, iced tea refers to sweetened iced tea, flavoured with lemon. The iced tea is usually made at home from drink powder or obtained in bottles or cans. Sweetened green teas and those flavoured with raspberry, peach, or pomegranate are also becoming more common via marketing efforts. Sweetened iced tea is often served as an alternative to other soft drinks, prepared by companies like Lipton, Arizona, Nestlé (Nestea) and Brisk. Water, sugar and flavourings may exceed tea in terms of quantity in these drinks. Many health food and specialty stores carry iced tea made of whole leaf tea without additives. Fresh-brewed iced tea is also popular, particularly in smaller independently owned restaurants. Powdered or frozen iced tea is a common preparation at home, due to its ease of use.

Several of the above posters seemed to imply that their preferred version was made from powder and the preferred maker was Nestea. This Wikipedia entry seems to support that and, not surprisingly, lists other makers.

Is "flavored by lemon" the distinguishing characteristic?

I've learned quite a bit, today, but I truly wish that some of the Canadian contributors would come back and let us know if Canadian Ice Tea is similar to U.S. Sweet Tea and clarify whether it is a cold drink.

I would also love to hear from some Canadian contributors. It is very interesting how food/drink vary from one place to another. I would like to know more about ice tea in Canada.

I'm Canadian and I hope I can help. Yes, Canadian iced tea is sweet. It is drunk cold (not room temperature) but it doesn't taste like straight cold tea because it's a powdered sickenly sweet drink (seriously, think Kool-Aid). It's not tea at all. It doesn't have to be made by Nestea but that is one of the most popular brands. I LOVE American unsweetened ice tea and am always so happy to get it. Yum!

Thanks, Tigger, this is helpful. You entered this response while I was composing my latest one. If you ever get down here and are able to try U.S. Sweet Tea, I would be interested in a comparison. My suspicion is that it is not as sweet as you are used to, but that is just a guess.