Luggage Tags - to tape or not to tape?

evawebrez

We're flying into FL before our cruise and don't want to attach our Carnival luggage tags until we're ready for the cruise. My hubby thinks it's silly to bring a roll of packing tape to "protect" our Carnival luggage tags and says they should be fine without it. (using zip ties to attach I guess?) I'm on the fence. Thoughts?

I've done,18 Carnival cruises and never used tape or,anything other,than a couple of staples from the porter's stapler. Never a problem and I have embarked during during downpours more than once.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We used to tape ours all the time. The way they toss the luggage around we were always afraid the paper alone would get torn off. We eventually bought the heavy duty plastic tags that are much nicer. You can preload them with the paper luggage tag and just tie them on when you are ready to go to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're flying into FL before our cruise and don't want to attach our Carnival luggage tags until we're ready for the cruise. My hubby thinks it's silly to bring a roll of packing tape to "protect" our Carnival luggage tags and says they should be fine without it. (using zip ties to attach I guess?) I'm on the fence. Thoughts?

I cover our luggage tags in packing tape at home. I cut off the parts that say, "Do Not Cut" :eek:, fold them in half, wrap them, punch a hole in each one, and put them and zip ties in the folder with all of our cruise documents. The morning of embarkation, we attach the tags to our luggage at the hotel and head to the ship.

We have flown in the day before for some of our cruises. For Carnival we always asked the hotel for a stapler and stapled ours or attached them in plastic tag holders right before we head to the ship. Now on Princess and Alaska, you are given different tags and those we still applied after retrieving our luggage from baggage claim (they had an elastic band). Then we handed the bags over to Princess porters at baggage claim.

I used to tape mine. Didn't want to take the chance of those flimsy pieces of paper being ripped off while being handled. For this upcoming cruise, I bought the luggage tag holders off of Amazon. Definitely going to be using those from now on. Very secure and easier than trying to deal with the tape on departure day.

They have luggage tags on sale here on cruise critic, buy 1 get 2 free. See the main posts and go to the store for more info. Amazon has some good ones as well. I use the plastic ones as well. No worries about staples, tape, ripping off, etc.

I used to tape them in the morning before we headed to the pier. Last year I bought the ones on Amazon, and I don't think that I will go back to taping! It really made it so much easier.

I was taping them. I wrote a note to the store on CC asking them to put back the shirts with writing on the back. Got a nice note from the lady who told me she'd suggest it at a meeting and it might be a good time b/c they were cleaning out stuff they were going to stop stocking and she'd send me some. Got a large box of all kinds of goodies, several of which are plastic luggage tag holders. I'll be using those now.

I use packing tape to laminate my tags so they don't tear and are waterproof. I punch a hole in the end and use an elastic ponytail holder to affix it after we have picked up our luggage. There are also tags for backpack & tote bag. I also print half-size tags for camera cases. This is in hopes that if we should leave it somewhere, it will be returned to us.

I often think of getting some luggage tags to slip the cruise tags in, but just never have done it.

If you're not willing to purchase the cruise luggage tags on amazon for about $8 that are reusable and will probably last a lifetime, then just put packing tape on them before you go to make them a bit stronger and have porter staple when you get to the port to turn bags in. Good luck with it. have fun!

I cover our luggage tags in packing tape at home. I cut off the parts that say, "Do Not Cut" :eek:, fold them in half, wrap them, punch a hole in each one, and put them and zip ties in the folder with all of our cruise documents. The morning of embarkation, we attach the tags to our luggage at the hotel and head to the ship.

We do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do exactly the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone may have already posted, but this is what I have done for over 25 years of cruising.

When I get the tags, I put them on/under the handle that is NOT used for caring, as most luggage has the top/side handles on them. When I get the tags, I fold them 3 ways, then wrap in Scotch tape, and then bring both the ends together after putting the tag under the handle, and then staple at the end. NEVER have I had a tag that ever came off when flying, or even arriving to my room.:)

Out of the 28 cruises we have taken-we have only had one suitcase delayed due to luggage tag being torn off. We have been using the plastic tags sold on Cruise Critic for years-and haven't had any mia suitcases. Just to be on the safe side I do put a copy of our luggage tag on the inside of our cases-just in case.

I taped and stapled them on for our first cruise at the hotel. somewhere in between loading luggage on shuttle and getting to our stateroom 1 tag was ripped off. took a while before we had our bag. Never again.

After that we bought these,

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Steel-Loops/dp/B017BVFA00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496962391&sr=8-1&keywords=highwind+cruise+luggage+tags

no more tape or staples.

steel wire cord that screws around your luggage handle and tough tick plastic tag holder. attach after flight to port or at hotel morning of and no worries.

Out of the 28 cruises we have taken-we have only had one suitcase delayed due to luggage tag being torn off. We have been using the plastic tags sold on Cruise Critic for years-and haven't had any mia suitcases. Just to be on the safe side I do put a copy of our luggage tag on the inside of our cases-just in case.

We use the plastic holders from amazon and we also put a copy in our suit case. Never can be too prepared! Not receiving luggage on a cruise is a nightmare I do not wish to experience.