cell/Internet between Ketchikan and Juneau

tuffy0317

The evening we sail between Ketchikan and Juneau, I will need to make an important phone call at a specific time (dinner reservations in Europe!). I've heard that connectivity along some parts of an Alaskan cruise is bad to non-existent. Can anyone share what their experience has been along this route? I have Verizon.

Thanks!

Once you leave port , the only cell service will be from the ship. WiFi or Internet is always available on the ship. You should ask this on the forum for the specific cruise line your on and maybe the roll call for your cruise.

Some cruise lines block programs that use the internet for voice and video.

Just got back from a cruise with Carnival on the Legend. Although we had great internet and cell service in port. A few miles out it would switch to Cellular-at-Sea and we put our phones on Airplane Mode. This was true even between Ketchikan and Skagway where we stayed pretty close to land.

Just got back from a cruise with Carnival on the Legend. Although we had great internet and cell service in port. A few miles out it would switch to Cellular-at-Sea and we put our phones on Airplane Mode. This was true even between Ketchikan and Skagway where we stayed pretty close to land.

Thanks - this is very helpful! I was trying to determine this, since we stay close to land.

Once you leave port , the only cell service will be from the ship. WiFi or Internet is always available on the ship. You should ask this on the forum for the specific cruise line your on and maybe the roll call for your cruise.

Some cruise lines block programs that use the internet for voice and video.

I've actually heard nightmare stories about Celebrity's wifi being awful on this cruise, which is why I was hoping for a cellular connection. but I suppose I can hope for the best!