What is "Free Open Bar" ?

Sailor1959

I been noticing NCL occasionally offers "Free Open Bar" ?

My question is: What is the difference between "Free Open Bar" and the "Ultimate Beverage Package" ?

I'm aware the "Ultimate Beverage Package" is an option that cost extra... plus 18% gratuity.

TIA !

Sailor1959

Nothing. Just marketing.

I believe they call it "Open Bar" on the NCL Sky. It is marketed to the booze cruise crowd although not everyone are partyers a lot are.

There must be something.

I wonder if it's the "Ultimate Beverage Package" without having to pay for it ???

But... I'm sure the 18% would be added for each drink ???

Hmmmm !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There must be something.

I wonder if it's the "Ultimate Beverage Package" without having to pay for it ???

But... I'm sure the 18% would be added for each drink ???

Hmmmm !

The ultimate beverage package without having to pay for it has been a thing for awhile. (But it's not always offered.) You just pay the service charge, which is 18 percent of the total cost. I agree with the other person, it's just marketing Calling it another appealing term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference is that the free open bar isn't a free at sea offer. It's built into the fare for anyone 21 or over on the Sky. Essentially, it's an all inclusive type cruise. I actually don't remember paying any gratuities on drinks st all last time, although I could be wrong and I just forgot. I'm pretty sure they're included though. In any case, like everything else in life, you're definitely paying for your "free" open bar. Sky fares are much higher than they used to be.

"Free Unlimited Open Bar" is how NCL describes the Ultimate Beverage Package.

You either pay for the package + 18% gratuity

or

You get the package as a Free at Sea promotion and just pay the 18% gratuity on the package (not per drink).

"Free Unlimited Open Bar" is how NCL describes the Ultimate Beverage Package.

You either pay for the package + 18% gratuity

or

You get the package as a Free at Sea promotion and just pay the 18% gratuity on the package (not per drink).

In that case... seems to me, opting for it as a "Free at Sea" choice wins hands down.

Nothing. Just marketing.

I believe they call it "Open Bar" on the NCL Sky. It is marketed to the booze cruise crowd although not everyone are partyers a lot are.

By "nothing" I meant "no differance"... they are both names of drink package. Sorry I can see how my answer looked confusing.

Thank You EasyBoy for the link.

Reading it... tells me it applies to every passenger.

And.... of course 18% will be added to the tab.

Even tho we're light drinkers..., it's still a great deal since you're only be charged for 18% for the price of a drink.

No drinks = No 18% charge or do they charge you 18% of the price of the UBP ?

Thank You EasyBoy for the link.

That link is only for Norwegian Sky cruises. Are you thinking about booking Norwegian Sky? If so, you don't need to worry about choosing the right option, or what it's called, or how much it costs. It's built into the cruise fare and the daily service charge. There is no additional 18% unless you order a drink that isn't included in the Open Bar offer.

For the rest of the fleet, you have to either purchase the UBP as an add-on, or choose it as a Free At Sea perk. Either way, you will have to pay 18% of the retail price of the package as a service charge, up front. You don't have to pay anything for each individual drink on board (again, unless you drink something that isn't fully included in the package).

That link is only for Norwegian Sky cruises. Are you thinking about booking Norwegian Sky? If so, you don't need to worry about choosing the right option, or what it's called, or how much it costs. It's built into the cruise fare and the daily service charge. There is no additional 18% unless you order a drink that isn't included in the Open Bar offer.

Thanks HawkEyetise.

Not currently thinking about the Sky but... if a good deal comes up we might.

I'm gonna give preference to Latitudes-Special cruise.

Gotta climb the might Latitudes ladder.

You're charged 18% of the UBP. That's about $100 per person on a 7 night cruise.

Hmmm, is a "Free Open Bar" for 7 days worth a 100 bucks :confused:............................

NO!!!!

Sorry, that was my liver talking. :o

My Irish brain says........ HELL YES!!!!

:D:D

You're charged 18% of the UBP. That's about $100 per person on a 7 night cruise.

YIKES !!! :eek:

We just got off a 14-day cruise.

We (very light drinkers) would have been sucker-punched $400.00 !!!

Bye-Bye Norwegian Sky !!!

YIKES !!! :eek:

We just got off a 14-day cruise.

We (very light drinkers) would have been sucker-punched $400.00 !!!

Bye-Bye Norwegian Sky !!!

The Sky just does short 3 and 4 day cruises to the Bahamas. I'd be more concerned with the boredom of B2B2B2B2B than any $400.

If you’re talking about other cruise ships and itineraries, simply choose a cheaper 'free' perk. You don't have to take the booze package.

The Sky just does short 3 and 4 day cruises to the Bahamas. I'd be more concerned with the boredom of B2B2B2B2B than any $400.

Well we'll scratch the Sky from our wanna-do list.

We're not fans of 3 and 4 day cruises.

• Board ship...
  • Participate in the Safety Drill...
  • Meet our cabin steward...
  • Get acquainted with the ship...
  • And prepare for debarkation.

Too much bother !

That's why we'll skip NCL's short Cuba cruises.

I am booked on the Sky and it is my understanding that the daily per person gratuities of $18.99 cover all of "tips" for all who serve you once on board.

This is opposed to the $13.99 that you pay on a regular cruise where you are getting the drink package as a perk. In this case you pay the 18% gratuity on the amount it would have cost you to buy it.