Are cruises fairly safe?

decemberbride

I had a debating argument with my future father-in-law because he says cruises aren't safe at all. He says that we don't hear about all the things that happen on cruises because they're not actually American ships. He and his wife went on to say that crew workers slip drugs into people's drinks and that cruises are one of the most unsafe types of vacations.

Do you really believe this? You might want to ask him for some proof.

I'm not really sure if I believe it or not. However, he had some good points about how cruise lines want to protect their name and so they won't tell you everything that's happened on them if they don't have to. Not only that, but once you're out of the country, it's a different government. The U.S. has little control over what happens and interfering with that country's policies (ex. the Holloway case in Aruba)!

I had a debating argument with my future father-in-law because he says cruises aren't safe at all. He says that we don't hear about all the things that happen on cruises because they're not actually American ships. He and his wife went on to say that crew workers slip drugs into people's drinks and that cruises are one of the most unsafe types of vacations.

Advice let them believe what they want ;) Cruising is one of the safest way to visit most distant ports. Far more crime on shore then on the ship. Do things happen onboard yes. Is it rare yes. Are there more problems with us then the crew? yes.

Do your own research. Get the facts and enjoy your next cruise.

yep and we know Aruba isn't safe, Jamaca will sell anyone drugs or almost force you to take them, how bout the latest report that NV is most dangerous state in the Union? Of course cruise lines want to protect their reputation, but so do major hotel chains, resorts, etc etc. Bad things happen on ships, bad things happen to those who go to islands and drink too much when they are not used to it, bad things happen to those who do not pay attention to what they are doing and where they are. DD and I were in DC several years ago with DH. He had a dinner meeting that night so she and I decided to get a taxi and try an Irish pub for dinner. Taxi cost $6 plus tip and I am talking about 25 years ago. As the restaurant was only about a mile or less from where we were staying we decided to walk back. Little did we know we were in one of the worst parts of town. We just walked quite fast, paid attention to where we were going and kept on talking and ignoring those around us. Needless to say we got back to our hotel without being bothered by anyone. Would we have done this had we known about the neighborhood, no, but everything was fine. If you choose to sit in the bar and get blasted, of couse it isn't safe. have there been stories of crew members druggin guests, yes, but usually the passengers have be-friended the staff and started drinking with them. I am certainly not a tea tottler, but I do pay close attention and watch how much I consume when in anyplace that is unfamiliar. Your father in law has been watching too many tabloid type TV programs. NMNita

Well let me see, are they as safe as being in any city downtown USA??? I am certain that the cruise lines do hush up as many of these stories as possible but that does not mean that there are lot of such incidents. Geez, you can mugged going around the corner for milk...does that keep you housebound only to be waiting a dreaded house invasion?

I agree with everyone else. Yes, things do happen on cruises ON OCCASION. But if you check deeper into what took place, you start to realize that maybe someone was drinking too much, or taking too many chances, and so on. The bottom line is that there are people who will go off in port and do something stupid to get themselves in trouble. For those, you just shrug your shoulders and say, "Oh, well."

The thing is, we're all adults, and if you use common sense, the chances of something bad taking place is drastically reduced. I would say that if you ask ten people who have cruised before, 8 or 9 will do so again, myself included.

Jerry

I'm not really sure if I believe it or not. However, he had some good points about how cruise lines want to protect their name and so they won't tell you everything that's happened on them if they don't have to. Not only that, but once you're out of the country, it's a different government. The U.S. has little control over what happens and interfering with that country's policies (ex. the Holloway case in Aruba)!

If you stop at the tourist info booth at any city in the US, the people there won't start immediately talking about their murders, robberies, etc. either. Cruising is probably safer than many forms of vacation. No one hides the fact that there are problems...and believe me, the cruise lines do take offenses seriously. I've seen a crewmember hauled off a ship in chains, so I don't doubt that the staff on board take a dim view of bad actors.

I have a friend who is affraid of everything. Her parents raised her to have unneccessary fears, filling her head with "what if" scenarios or "this once happened to" but had no facts to back the statements up. She has to travel a lot on business and has to visit some of the most exciting places that I have dreamed of visiting; Paris, London, Shanghai, Tokyo. When traveling she never goes anywhere except to and from the hotel in the journey to her appointments. Because of her schedule she sometimes has 3-4 day layovers where she just stays in the hotel. She's never visited The Louvre, Picidilly Circus, or other exciting places because "something bad" might happen.

Well one day she was safe at home watching t.v.... a car crashed through her living room wall and missed killing her by just a few feet. She learned from the experience that there is risk for danger everywhere and staying in a cacoon of fear did not guarantee her safety.

My creed is don't live in fear, especially other peoples fears. Don't make your Dad's fear yours. If you have an opportunity to travel, do it, love it and emerse yourself in the experience. If you use common sense and familiarize yourself with the cruiseline and itenerary. You are taking steps in this now by posting on this board. The chances are minimal that anything bad will happen. Sure something bad can happen on a cruise but the chances are rare. The cruise industry would not benefit from having it's customers be placed in unnecessary danger. Especially since the industry is financially tied to repeat clients.

If you choose to stay at home, remember my friend who thought she was safe nestled in at home and had a car come crashing through her wall. We'll all be having steak and lobster and a pina colada out on the high seas having a great time. Best of lluck over coming your fears-you deserve to cruise fear-lessly!

Well, your ffil is blowing things a bit out of proportion. Sure, there are unscrupulous people aboard any ship full of a couple of thousand people. Some scary little-reported things go down, usually involving shady crew members, but it seems to be no more than on land. Scary little-reported things happen in hotels, too. As do accidents. (In the Holloway case, she wasn't on the ship, so that's not really the same thing.)

It's like anywhere else - you have to use common sense. Keep an eye on your drink in public. Never agree to have a crew member take you to any of the crew-only areas. When in port, know the local issues and be aware of those around you, don't wear flashy jewelry, etc. People traveling anywhere on vacation tend to let their guard down, and can make some very stupid decisions.

I wouldn't hesitate cruising...done it three times before, doing it again in six days, and I'd do it over and over again. I'm sure there are incidents, just as there are in other industries, but it wouldn't prevent me from enjoying myself. As long as you're vigilant, as you would be on any vacation, a good time will be had by all.

No, no, no!!!! Don't let all these people fool you!!! Cruising is extremely dangerous: over 50% of people who go on a cruise become addicted and do it over, and over, and over.... :D

Seriously, it sounds like you've got a good deal there. You can go on lots of cruises with your future husband and never have to worry about the inlaws tagging along!

I have travelled many places on cruise ship, in the USA, Canada and Mexico. Have you seen the ads for Mexico where they say anyone will show you a good time? Would you seriorously ask a total stranger to take you into the jungle to see a ruin with no one around? The ads are trying to tell you it is totally safe there for a week. Ok, let's go to New York, would you walk around everywhere with a local you do not know. Come on, let's get real. If you use your head and your feelings you will more then likely be very safe on a cruise. People do let their guards down on vacation that is why pick pockets ect get so much. As for more violent crimes, yes, they do happen. Do they get covered-up, yes, but even those that happen in your state get covered up.

Here is some advice from several sites:

On vacation:

Be aware of your surroundings;

Leave most of your money and jewellery in a safe, not on the desk;

Only take how much you need with you for what you are doing ( ie the money for the concert would be your ticket, enough money for transportation and food/drinks) nothing more. This is so if you are roobbed you do not lose everything.

Do not take all of your credit cards with you. Always write down the number of the card and the contact number found on the back of the card and keep this in the safe. This is so if your lose your card or is stolen you can contact the company immediately and not pay for charges.

Keep a back up credit card with you that is to be used only in emergency. Have the hotel (Cruise Ship) put it in their safe (not in your room, it is an emergency one only if the other is lost or stolen).

If you are in a foreign country, you are under their rules. Some countries have the death penilty still for drugs, some do flogging, others very stiff jail time in their prisons which have their own rules. Also most countries will believe their people long before they will belive you. In some countries you are quilty and you must prove your innocence.

Just because you get in trouble in a foreign land does not mean you will make international news. It is not a cover-up.

Know the number of your Consulte when you are out of your country. They may be able to find a translator as they will conduct everything in their langage not yours.

Do not make yourself an easy target. Do not get drunk unless you are with a group who will ensure that everyone gets back safe and sound. Do not wear anything that looks like you have a lot of possible money. Travel with a group of people and explore together. If you are planning to go to a certain bar, ask at the desk about the area (Is it a known area for robberies ect). Example, in New York in the 60's if you were white you did not the to the Harlem area, it was very unsafe).

Trust your feelings. If you think you may be followed by a local (who you don't know or trust) then go to a safe place and get a cab back to your hotel immediately. If you thought you want to go to a place that was recommended by someone but got there and did not like the looks then leave and go somewhere else.

Before you leave on your trip research the areas as much as possible. Ask on boards what people think or say about it. (Like you are doing now). Pre-plan what you would like to do, ie snorkle, shop, eat or see history. Do not waunder around hoping to find something to do. Yes, talk to locals about their place but be aware that you are the only one interested in you and your safety.

Enjoy your vaction.

Well let me see, are they as safe as being in any city downtown USA??? I am certain that the cruise lines do hush up as many of these stories as possible but that does not mean that there are lot of such incidents. Geez, you can mugged going around the corner for milk...does that keep you housebound only to be waiting a dreaded house invasion?

You have a very good point-in large cities people disapeer every day-sometimes they find their bodies-sometimes they show up elsewhere because they had just took off-ran away-what ever but many no one knows what happened to them.

We hear so much about Natalie Hollaway -but there are many many more young women disapeering in US cities every day. I imagine those young women's familes feel just like Natalie's-that the authorities are not doing enough to find them-it is just no one listens to them-as they have not gotten a "Nancy Grace" interested in their daughter's disapearance.

Sounds like your father-in-law likes to control people through irrational fear. Check out these boards and the lists of cruises that cruisers posts. Do you think these people would be cruising over and over again if your Father-in-laws BS had any basis in fact.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

There is a list of some of the "reported" issues on cruise ships from illnesses to assaults.

But by in large, there really doesn't look like cruise ships are any more dangerous than anything else. Believe me, if cruise workers were slipping drugs into drinks on a regular basis - that would get reported somewhere - on the internet, by a lawsuit, by the media, on these boards, by mr. cruise junkie - its hard to cover up anything in a world that is wired 24/7.

You're probably safer on any cruise ship than shopping on "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving.

Thank-you , that made me laugh!

I often "go camping" with my family over the summers. We have laughed many times that when we are at home we make sure the doors are locked, the windows closed, etc. before going to bed at night. But, when camping, just pull down the zipper of the tent and nothing bad can happen!

I must admit though, after reading my guide books I am more afraid now. Reading about the ever increasing crime rates on some islands has made me aware. But I still intend to go, and have a good time!

We just need to remember to keep our guard up & be aware of our surroundings, just like we do anywhere else. There are people everywhere just ready to take advantage of someone. We want to believe that being on a cruise is different & that nothing will happen but that's just a fantasy. There are strange people everywhere & a cruise is no different. We've never experienced any problems thus far. Of course being in a foreign country is exactly that, foreign. Being aware of local customs & not venturing off the tourist path will usually ensure an event free experience. But then, things happen anywhere. Listening to suggestions from people who have been to different ports, such as on Cruise Critic, is extremely helpful. Cruising is the best!!

Hi December Bride, and welcome to the boards.:)

It's amazing that some folks like to install the 'fear factor' into everything. There are bad people, and bad events every day, all over the world. Unfortunately, your future FIL is alarming you, and that's a shame. Cruises are the best way to enjoy time at sea, ports, and a vacation you'll never forget (is this to be your honeymoon?)...

Let me tell you - All my cruises except three have been solo. I'm mid-sixties, female, and LOVE cruising! I have absolutely NO fear of cruise ships or the personnel. I am cautious, but not afraid to travel alone. I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings, both on the ship as well as in ports....but I am not afraid, anymore than I would be at any land resort or back in my home town of New Orleans. Crime is everywhere. You just take the necessary precautions and don't put yourself in harm's way.

Go on a cruise. You'll come back here saying how fantastic it was!:)

Archived