Celebrity Reflection - 11 July 2017 Excursion rip-off

Geejay522

I booked and paid for a Celebrity Excursion out of La Spezia (to Pisa and Florence) for my family of four months ago - primarily to hedge the exchange rate risk in my home currency. I paid $109 each for the day. Yesterday I receive an email advising me that this excursion has been cancelled, and that I will be refunded - needing to rebook another option. Today I go online to find the same excursion there - but costing $10 more per person! I also received a 48-hour "sale notification" offering a 20% discount until tomorrow - but when I rebooked, this was not applied. Is this behavior normal as I feel cheated? :mad:

Sorry you feel cheated, yet have you called X to find out the details? There could have been a change in providers, or a cost increase to them (which is unlikely they would cancel to increase to you) etc...

Let them know what your issues are and someone will be able to provide assistance....

bon voyage

Many times a tour operator cancels and the line has to go find another guide that is offering something similar.

RCCL/Celebrity does not own nor operate any tours, and has zero control over them.

Sorry this has happened to you, but it does happen all the time with all the diff cruise lines.

In the terminal building the exact same tour was 40 dollars. Why every book with Celebrity????

This was not the OPs question.

But as to your statement, there are numerous reasons why to choose a cruise line sponsored excursion over a privately booked excursions. It's individual choice as to whether those benefits are important enough to pay a few dollars more for.

Please don't turn this into a ship vs private tours thread. There are numerous ones available to search on and read.

I booked and paid for a Celebrity Excursion out of La Spezia (to Pisa and Florence) for my family of four months ago - primarily to hedge the exchange rate risk in my home currency. I paid $109 each for the day. Yesterday I receive an email advising me that this excursion has been cancelled, and that I will be refunded - needing to rebook another option. Today I go online to find the same excursion there - but costing $10 more per person! I also received a 48-hour "sale notification" offering a 20% discount until tomorrow - but when I rebooked, this was not applied. Is this behavior normal as I feel cheated? :mad:

First, you need to call Celebrity! Secondly, the 20% discount does not apply to all excursions - only certain ones for each cruise. No reason to feel cheated without knowing all the facts.

OP should also note that the sale said UP TO 20%. We booked 2 excursions for our upcoming Nov. cruise and they were only 5% discount, so saved $6! Not exactly a lifestyle change!!! The only reason we book X shore excursions (especially in the Caribbean) is an excess of OBC. Since X now lets us use X promotional OBC before boarding, we thought we'd book during the sale and save money, but had to call to do it and work around the non-working new website. Luckily we got a wonderful rep at Captains Club that was able to circumvent the site.

Many times a tour operator cancels and the line has to go find another guide that is offering something similar.

RCCL/Celebrity does not own nor operate any tours, and has zero control over them.

Sorry this has happened to you, but it does happen all the time with all the diff cruise lines.

While it is true that excursions do get cancelled for various reasons, if I read the OPs post right, they told him it was cancelled & to book another excursion. When he looked, the originsl excursion was still available, & at a higher price abd a discount. Wgen he rebooked, he did not even get the discount. It appears that they get more inept by the day.