Canceling - what happens to deposit?

trapo

When you cancel before the deadline of the 50% off of trip non-refundable date, is your deposit kept as a credit? Or is it just money lost? I would like to move my dates and am wondering if this is the way to do it? Cancel and then use the credit toward the rebooking.

If you did not make the final payment and you cancel after the payment due date, your deposit is lost. If you made the final payment, depending on how late after final payment you cancel all or a %age of your payment is lost. Your booking confirmation will have the details of the cancellation schedule, amounts and dates,

Depending on where you live your deposit may be lost even if you cancel before final payment. If you are in the US you can move your sailing to another date prior to the final payment due date. You do not have to cancel the sailing, just move it keeping the same booking number.

If you booked in the US the deposit is completely refundable, unless you book through a TA with other restrictions. If you book through the U.K. Then I believe it is simply lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct if we book in the UK and then cancel we lose the deposit but if we book via a US travel agent we get the same cancellation conditions as Americans. Since June last year following the decline in the exchange rate booking a Celebrity cruise has been significantly cheaper in the UK. Strange really as you would expect it to cost more with the exchange rate falling from 1.68 to 1.28 but it is the reverse. We are planning to book the 14 nt. Reflection in December 18 and comparing prices for a 1A Balcony Cabin both with the drink package costs $4557 in the US whilst in UK the same cost £2708 ( $3446), thats over $1100 cheaper in the UK.

We normally book on board so the loss of deposit doesn't come into play. At the moment we win both ways, for how long is anyones guess.

If in UK see below....I cancelled a cruise, 4/5 months before sail date... I quoted the below and got my deposit back in full.

Not a lot of people are aware of this.

I refer you to The Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that firms are not entitled to keep any sum that could be reasonably replaced by reselling to another customer.

The Competition and Markets Authority states 'where loses were recouped,firms had "no entitlement "to the original customers' money '

If you booked in the US the deposit is completely refundable, unless you book through a TA with other restrictions. If you book through the U.K. Then I believe it is simply lost.

The OP's post was a bit confusing but a deposit is not completely refundable if you do not cancel before the 90 day penalty period regardless of where you live or book. Just don't want new cruisers to think they will get the deposit back if they cancel "89 to 57 days prior to sailing". (To confuse even more, depending on when you booked the penalty period will be 74 to 57 days prior to sailing.)

Incorrect. It absolutely depends upon the terms when you booked your trip and where in the payment cycle you are.

If in UK see below....I cancelled a cruise, 4/5 months before sail date... I quoted the below and got my deposit back in full.

Not a lot of people are aware of this.

I refer you to The Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that firms are not entitled to keep any sum that could be reasonably replaced by reselling to another customer.

The Competition and Markets Authority states 'where loses were recouped,firms had "no entitlement "to the original customers' money '

Whether in the UK or US this is called unjust enrichment. In general (both companies) are by contract law obligated to minimize their loses by attempting to sell to another. However, they are allowed to keep restocking fees/administrative fees etc. In the US, this is why deposits are not refundable completely after the final payment date. In the UK, they likely gave your deposit back not because they had to, but because they don't want to bother arguing with you and creating bad will.

This law ' The Consumer Rights Act' can be researched on the net...... It speaks for itself...They did not give me my deposit back as an act of good will. They knew that the law was on my side. I told them that I intended to take it to ' The Small Claims Court' I dont know if there is an American equivalent...but of course my post was only meant for UK residents....