QM2 assists yachts in mid Atlantic rescue

Eglesbrech

Solas chapter V regs.

2.The master of a ship in distress or the search and rescue service concerned, after consultation, so far as may be possible, with the masters of ships which answer the distress alert, has the right to requisition one or more of those ships as the master of the ship in distress or the search and rescue service considers best able to render assistance, and it shall be the duty of the master or masters of the ship or ships requisitioned to comply with the requisition by continuing to proceed with all speed to the assistance of persons in distress.

David.

The article from "Beyond Ships" that Cwipes mentioned in post #19 above indicates that QM2 was not actually under legal obligation in this case because another ship (the bulk carrier Labrador) had already responded. Here is a quote from the end of that article.

"Furthermore, going to the rescue was a voluntary, selfless act. QM2 was under no legal obligation to go to the rescue. Inasmuch as there was already another ship on the scene, there would have been a valid excuse for declining the request."

I have no expertise whatsoever regarding maritime law or search and rescue protocols, so is that article incorrect concerning QM2's legal obligations in this situation?

Regards,

John

she was apparently requested to proceed by either Halifax or Falmouth UK CG , the container ship would have been more difficult for the yachtsman to board given its high freeboard, whether the article is correct is neither here nor there, the consequences of not proceeding would have been rather poor if the worst had happened. I have experienced similar situations in my previous role in SAR.

I too was on board QM2 during this rescue and having watched and filmed it from start to finish I would just like to say how brave the rescue boat crew were......dropping their RIB from deck 7 (quite high on QM2) in strong winds and rough seas and then actually rescuing the yachtsman and then manoeuvring the boat to be winched back up to Deck 7 was, to me, the bravest part of the rescue!!!!

What I find surprising is that three yachtsmen were in distress that night....all were successfully rescued but only the one rescued by QM2 got a mention in the press! What happened to the others???

I too was on board QM2 during this rescue and having watched and filmed it from start to finish I would just like to say how brave the rescue boat crew were......dropping their RIB from deck 7 (quite high on QM2) in strong winds and rough seas and then actually rescuing the yachtsman and then manoeuvring the boat to be winched back up to Deck 7 was, to me, the bravest part of the rescue!!!!

What I find surprising is that three yachtsmen were in distress that night....all were successfully rescued but only the one rescued by QM2 got a mention in the press! What happened to the others???

Here are a few more news articles I was able to find which provide some additional details about the other boats and their crews that were involved in the rescue operation.

From the Royal Western Yacht Club's web site:

North Atlantic Storm Hits OSTAR & TWOSTAR FLEET

Day 13

From "The Maritime Executive" web site:

Merchant Vessels Rescue Three Yacht Crews in Storm

Skill and Cooperation Led to OSTAR Race Rescue's Success

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...

We were also on board during the event. Credit has to be given to Captain Welles and the crew for an amazing rescue. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us with many photos to document it. The Transatlantic 2017 Crossing memorabilia sold on board and bought by us certainly holds new meaning now.