Seasick bracelets???

Ashemson

Seasick bracelets don't actually do anything to prevent seasickness. You might get some benefit out of them due to the placebo effect, and it's not like there is any harm in wearing one, but don't drop a ton of money on something that runs on fake science.
The jury is still out on this. There are scientific studies that conclude that they're effective [for example, J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2001 Jan-Feb;30(1):61-70.] and scientific studies that conclude that they are not [for example, Aviat Space Environ Med. 2004 Mar;75(3):227-34.] The reality on this is clouded to a small extent by rabid passion by those who find relief from sea bands. However, that's forgivable. What is not forgivable is how much the reality on this is clouded to a great extent by the sometimes rudely priggish (and sometimes blatantly racist) passion by (self-labeled) skeptics. I think some of this proves the adage that if you go looking for proof of anything (i.e., proof that they work or proof that they don't) you are very likely going to find what you went looking for.

The science on this is complicated by the fact that nausea can be induced by strictly psychological means. It is very difficult to detect how non-physical stimuli can result in physical responses. Until the past few decades, it could only be noted by external observation. It is taking a remarkably long period of time for the scientific establishment to adjust to the existence of this new window on a whole host of science that previously was unknowable. The vast majority of what there is to know is almost surely still unknown. That, combined with how many people of different original persuasions end up feeling that there is some value in accu-pressure, makes is more likely that eventually medical science will finally find the physical proof of the linkage.

If you feel seasick, eat an apple or saltines, don't look at the horizon. You can get sea sick pills in the gift shop, usually where you pay for alcohol is where they are along with Tylenol, etc.

I have read that looking at the horizon is supposed to help.....

Anyone know which it is...to look or not to look?

We used to be very friendly with a cruise ship physician who worked several months a year on HAL ships. One time at dinner, a table mate ask the physician about seabands and various bracelets. The doctor just laughed and said those bracelets are great at reminding the wearer that they get seasick! Got a big laugh from the entire table. And yes, the lady with the bracelet had routine bouts of mal de mer (even while wearing her bracelet) but swore it made things better.

Hank

"nausea can be induced by strictly psychological means"

or the opposite. I know from long experience, but I can't control it. The experience has to be extreme and unconscious/unplanned enough to be effective, a least in my case which is all about preventing motion sickness.

"nausea can be induced by strictly psychological means" or the opposite.
Or a combination of both. The point is that there is a whole realm of science for which we have barely scraped the surface of what there is to learn about ourselves, and it is proving to be especially difficult to get the western medical establishment to open their minds to the possibility of any aspects of eastern medicine enough to even have a chance of developing enough real scientific foundation for any statements whatsoever about its efficacy. It's similar to how we westerners regarded eastern religion in comparison to our own for centuries: The truth rarely matters when there is enough impetus and incentive to defend the status quo.

We use them for any motion sickness or nausea (even hang overs). They work for me and for several others that have needed to borrow. As long as they work, I don't really care what others think. The patch dilated my eyes for 4 days and bonine makes me sleepy.