Savvy cruisers advice appreciated.

Augustus1#

This holiday (Ventura 13th November 2017) is a future cruise decider for us. My husband loves caravans and camping. Not to say I don't but I am thinking a bit of luxury and a good children's club.:) So I booked a select fare early last year and have since been saving up and continue to do so. We have an inside cabin partly for cost but more so as I was worried about the balcony with our toddler.

I am looking at the tours offered and wonder can we do any ourselves? Then I think about safety as we have our daughter who will be 3. I have preliminary chosen a tour for each destination but would appreciate advice from others who have visited these ports. Lisbon, Valencia, Cartagena, Gibraltar and Cadiz. (I kind of remember Gibraltar I was there 14 years ago).

Cutting costs whilst cruising but not cutting the fun is it possible? :confused:

I was thinking of the oceanarium in Lisbon. So that would be indoors. We have good waterproofs as campers so not adverse to bad weather. Puddle splashing is a favourite. I shall look more closely at the ports bearing this in mind.

Cutting costs whilst cruising but not cutting the fun is it possible? :confused:

Depends which kind of fun you mean - over 18s-only liquid fun, or taking part in the quizzes fun!

On that note regarding the "liquid fun", drinks do cost about the same as a pub near me, in the Midlands; so they are quite reasonable. We're not huge drinkers but it's always nice to have a little tipple on holiday :) P.S. you can take your own alcohol on board within "reasonable" limits, so we took a bottle of white wine on board.

It all depends whether you consider the on-board activities fun to be fair, and a lot of them seem to be dancing or quiz based, for example a few from our recent cruise were foxtrot classes, quizzes etcetera. As you're going in November the seas may be rough enough for the pools to close, in which case you may choose to go to the costa bar and get a nice cake and drink :)

Lisbon is an easy and beautiful city to explore on foot, lots of public transport and quite simple to navigate. Gibraltar we did a DIY cable car visit to the top of the rock to see the monkeys; I recall it being a decent cost.

Go on with an open mind, don't worry about money too much (if you can afford to, try to save as much as possible for spending money, so you can relax knowing you're covered) and you'll have a great time!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Dan, that was a lovely reply. We are not big drinkers so taking a tipple on board and spending on a few treats will be ample. I am hoping to participate in a few dance lessons. I may even like the quizzes. We are hoping to relax and watch life pass us by on sea days. I do hope the pools are open at least some of the time. I hadn't thought about them being closed. One thing I really want to do is tour the ship. So I will look into that.

Just had a look at your itinerary.

Lisbon is very do-able on your own - P&O will run a shuttle bus service into the city centre (or you can walk). Also public transport (e.g. trains out to Cascais) is easily accessible.

Valencia - only been there once but I have a feeling that the port is some way out; nonetheless, you should get a shuttle bus into town.

Cartagena - really don't know much about this one!

Cadiz/Seville - Been there (Cadiz) once. The choice is between going to Seville, in which case a P&O excursion is as good a way of doing it as any, or staying around Cadiz which is very easy to do from where the ship docks. (There's a good Camera Obscura there, among many other things.)

Gibraltar - most people just walk into town. You can do the cable car ride to the rock on your own, but the queues can be long. Many people use Gib as a way of getting cheap drink and cigarettes. (I recall an excellent, and cheap, litre of Laphroaig....)

Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure you'll love it. I have no direct experience (grown up family) but children's clubs on Ventura have always got good reviews. If you get the chance, have a lunchtime meal in The Glasshouse - a small steak and a glass of wine is an excellent way of passing time on a sea day.

Hi returned from a similar itinerary in April this is my suggestions of the ports.

Lisbon.

As said a great port with lots to see and do public transport is easy, trams buses and the metro are all accessible. No trip needed here.

Valencia

A wonderful city similar to Bilbao. We walked miles that day but with a toddler I would recommend the area around the science park and the oceanariums. The science park has a tourist train that takes you round the outskirts and Thenmaybe you could independently visit the oceanarium. You can walk from the ship in about fifteen minutes. The ships shuttle drops you in the town centre if you choose to go there the market is amazing.

Cartagena

We did the ships tour Tapas Trail it was an amazing trip led by a student studying English. She took us to places I would never have found independently. The ship docks in the town so very doable on your own

Gibraltar

We took a tour from the taxi drivers at the port £25 each went to Viewpoints St Michaels Caves Garrison and then he dropped us in the town and we walked back to the ship ( our choice) This was a two hour trip with all admission included oh sorry went to see apes as well

Cadiz

Great port to wander went to Seville on another visit disappointed though too many gypsies haranguing you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Use the children's club - P&O do look after children very well and their Health & Safety is much better than a lot of other cruise lines so you shouldn't worry in that regard.

Make sure you take enough sun cream, especially for your daughter. Sun is stronger at sea and you also get more wind.

Take some Stugeron and/or ginger (which you can get from Holland & Barrett) with you for any possible sea sickness. You may well not suffer (we didn't on our first cruise 16 yrs ago and haven't since) but it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

As mentioned already, all the ports are relatively easy to get to and walk around. Bear in mind it is late in the season and not everything will be open. I should check before you go.

Relax and enjoy your cruise, but beware, it's addictive! :)

I have not done this itinerary but sailed on the Ventura on many occasions. So many times in fact that I am a familiar face amongst the staff. :)

I find a lot of young families on the ship and there is a children's play area so definitely right choice if you have young children.

Expect some decent evening entertainment. One or two house bands playing in the lounge, variety shows in the main theatre and tribute acts in another lounge. I really like the tribute acts.

The food is a matter of taste but I like the focus on catering to British tastes. Puddings are IMO stand out and far superior to American cruise lines. Also, great to have a proper full English. Members of my family are vegetarians and they are well catered for off the standard menu.

On board specialty restaurants are excellent and worth checking out as the odd treat. Famous chefs are linked to the restaurants. Selection of wine is fantastic and is sold by the glass. Glass House is a popular venue for wine and casual dinning. I have had some amazing meals there.

Evening buffets have different themes. I like to try everything when on a cruise so look out for a theme that appeals and eat in the buffet one evening to experience something different to MDR.

I tend not to pre-book excursions. I take a look once on board, easier for me to judge the weather. There is a risk that the tour I want sells out but I am flexible and so far had no regrets. One tip if you choose to do this. Visit the excursion area soon after you board. Rarely busy at this time and chances are that the tours you like will be available. Gets busy later and the most popular ones can sell out.

I don't know the ports on this itinerary so can't advise but a word of caution. On my last cruise on Ventura, we got stuck in traffic due to a major accident. Ended up getting quite late back to the ship. As it was an excursion organised by the ship we were ok but had it been an independent tour, the ship might have sailed without us. A lot of experienced cruisers on CC give advice as if nothing can go wrong but with 30 yrs experience on cruise ships, trust things do go wrong from time to time.

One final recommendation. The behind the scenes VIP tour is expensive but definitely worth doing. One of my most memorable experiences. The ship is amazing and you get to see the ship within the ship.

There is a children's tea in the self service around 5pm. Then there is a night nursery which opens around 6pm where you can leave your daughter for the evening leaving you free to do what you want.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/childrens_club?_ga=2.147133374.88531932.1497180059-528053723.1454188514

Brian

In Cadiz you can get a map which shows you walking routes round the town. Different coloured lines are painted on the ground and are esy to follow.

As well as DIY cable car in Gibraltar we did the WW2 tunnels. We booked it in advance and took the local bus most of the way and walked the rest to the entrance. We were there early and had a guide to ourselves.

Lisbon is great. Lots of ways to see the city. Hoho bus, tram, tuttuk, metro and walk. Lots to see. Don't miss the famous custard tarts!

Taxi both ways to Oceanarium in Lisbon is reasonable cost, it opens at 10am I think so no need to rush. It is very interesting to youngsters, dark and massive tanks full of fish, a couple of sea otters and penguins too.

For future reference Balcony Cabins have patio doors with a very high bolt so parents can guarantee small children cannot access it if they make sure it is bolted.

Regards John

'Luxury' it isn't, but P&O cruises are a very good overall product and if you are comparing to caravaning and camping you will find it a more relaxing holiday. Although we tend to spend £300-500 a week on board, we use Select Dining venues a lot and speciality lunches, dinners and Behind the scenes tours etc. It would be entirely possible to spend virtually nothing on board and still have a fabulous time. You can take alcohol on board (there's a lot of debate on here about this subject but there is no limit and unless you are taking on a pallet of the stuff it's fine) and free food is available 24/7. Your itinerary renders organised Tour excursions pointless. All of your ports are lovely to explore Independently and very easy to do so. With a toddler in tow, you will find it far more relaxing to do this than be tied to rigid tour times. If you have pre booked any just cancel them. It's free to do so. You get a 100% refund and no cancellation fee. Finally, the kids club will be the highlight of your child's holiday and allow you to have a break as a result. Enjoy!