Travel Restrictions May Be Announced by President Trump Friday

harryw

President Trump will be in Miami Friday and it is anticipated that the travel policy to Cuba may be tightened. As one can't predict the impact on the cruise industry, I wonder if my travel insurance will permit me to cancel if policy changes will prevent stops in Cuba. There are other countries on my cruise itinerary, so the cruise line may claim just an itinerary change, not permitting a refund.

Harry

Well, our final payment isn't due yet so I'll be hopeful. Perhaps the new policy won't affect cruises already scheduled, to minimize financial losses for the industry.

Harry

A news report from Havana this afternoon indicated apprehension from locals who made renovations, counting on a thriving " bed and breakfast" industry.

Harry

How would that effect cruises ?

People can still go to CUBA via other routes

How would that effect cruises ?s

Don't people on cruises sometimes spend time in a city before or after a cruise?

Or decide, like one poster here, to do a return trip to stay longer and see more?

People can still go to CUBA via other routes

Yeah? And what are those? That may not also be restricted again?

Please provide details on how to go about that, whatever it may be.

Those who have decided to travel since things got easy with direct flights and cruises, and no questions asked visas, are not likely to embrace the option of going through other countries again, even if guaranteed of no consequences.

A news report from Havana this afternoon indicated apprehension from locals who made renovations, counting on a thriving " bed and breakfast" industry.

And Cubans in Cuba are also very pragmatic. I've been reassured by email that this administration is only for 4 years, and then things will "go back to normal" and start to improve from where we leave off now.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

President Trump will be in Miami Friday and it is anticipated that the travel policy to Cuba may be tightened. As one can't predict the impact on the cruise industry, I wonder if my travel insurance will permit me to cancel if policy changes will prevent stops in Cuba. There are other countries on my cruise itinerary, so the cruise line may claim just an itinerary change, not permitting a refund.

Harry

Most likely just a port cancellation and itinerary change.

My point was only that their is apprehension among locals who are hoping that the loosening of restrictions

would be an economic boon to the Cuban economy. My intuition

tells me that the President will listen to his pro business angels and not want to hurt the cruise industry, And hey,

he may envision a Trump hotel there someday.

Harry

My point was only that their is apprehension among locals who are hoping that the loosening of restrictions would be an economic boon to the Cuban economy. My intuition

tells me that the President will listen to his pro business angels and not want to hurt the cruise industry, And hey, he may envision a Trump hotel there someday.

Harry

MY point is that most Cubans will roll with the punches, as they have done for decades. They are resilient. Nobody has invested large sums (without those sums coming from the relatives in the US anyway), simply because there is not much to invest IN to make the casas particulares more comfortable. The "stuff" just isn't there to buy, even with money in your pocket. That's why lifting the embargo would help.

Most US tourists aren't interested in a repeat trip anyway right now because of poor and/or expensive conditions for land tours. It's a novelty, one off trip, one that not all US tourists would enjoy.

There are still LOTS of (non-US) tourists in Cuba, for restaurants and tour guides to make a reasonable living.

MY intuition says the President is more concerned with not getting prosecuted for what went on with Russia during the campaign and since.

Marco Rubio, whose career is supported by the grudge-holding Cuban community in Miami and their considerable fortunes, is on the committee that would indict. The President will try to appease Rubio and his backers. That is precisely why the speech is being given in Miami.

We're also not taking into consideration that it's never been hard to go to Cuba as an American even before the loosening up of regulations. Quick flight to the Bahamas, Mexico, or Canada and fly directs. No one asked any questions or even cared.

It's nice that you don't have to go through the extra steps these days but even if it went back to the rules before- it's going to stop no one who wants to go to get to Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe it will come down to focus groups and marketing. Given there is so much competition in the Caribbean between cruise lines and limited berth space, perhaps

some corporate board room will see possibilities there..,

In the future, perhaps Post-Trump, Cuba will have its own Hard Rock Cafe, Diamonds Internatiinal, and Margaritaville,

Harry

Maybe,,,, Cuba will have its own Hard Rock Cafe, Diamonds Internatiinal, and Margaritaville,

It's already got the equivalent, or worse by far--those two tacky LasVegas-y cabaret shows that people on here seem to be so enthusiastic about. LOL

We're also not taking into consideration that it's never been hard to go to Cuba as an American even before the loosening up of regulations. Quick flight to the Bahamas, Mexico, or Canada and fly directs. No one asked any questions or even cared.

It's nice that you don't have to go through the extra steps these days but even if it went back to the rules before- it's going to stop no one who wants to go to get to Cuba.

Doubles the price.

Cuba stamps your passport now, which didn't happen before. So it's clear where you've been.

And just as enforcement has been stepped up on other areas of law, so could it be by OFAC.

Just flew in and out a month ago- they do not stamp your passport unless you ask them to or you don't pay them basically $20. The visa is the only thing that gets stamped- passport just gets a quick glance.

That was our experience as well, we entered Cuba 5 times and they did not stamp until we asked.

That was our experience as well, we entered Cuba 5 times and they did not stamp until we asked.

IN September 2016 in Varadero airport, passport was not stamped. No special request.

In March 2017 in Havana airport, passport was stamped routinely, no special request.

IN September 2016 in Varadero airport, passport was not stamped. No special request.

In March 2017 in Havana airport, passport was stamped routinely, no special request.

Were you using a US passport ?

Maybe that is the difference they know US passport holder could have a problem

Yes, US passport.

From all reports, Aduana started routinely stamping all US passports when the flights opened up last year, even when requested not to.

Read some of the other Cuba forums for more reports.

I was surprised that didn't happen in Varadero, but it was one of the first flights into the country. But I didn't even notice until I looked at the stamp from Havana 6 months later.

Will see what happens this next time.

I booked a cruise a few years ago on NCL. Four months before the cruise the itinerary was changed. I received a letter from them stating if I was not happy with the change I could get a full refund. Which I took as I was not happy with the new itinerary. However, that was NCL and it was a few years back. Things change with these cruises all the time.

There may be some differences between airports and cruise terminals as to how they handle passports and visas. In addition to not stamping passports unless requested, at our first two ports, Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos, they examined the visas. In Havana they took the visas the first time we left the ship. We left twice more and had no visas.